Vegan Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream

Very interesting. Maybe it's because you have that glace' stuff that's supposed to be so good? Do nothing else can compare?

That glace stuff ; Swedish Glace is seriously good and very inexpensive. However, over here we don't get any vegan ice cream.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Does this have unsustainable palm oil on it? It has palm oil, but is it from a vegan company or a company that kills orangutans and other animals and stuff?

Does this have unsustainable palm oil on it? It has palm oil, but is it from a vegan company or a company that kills orangutans and other animals and stuff?

:rolleyes: Every company kills animals, friend. Palm oil is just a more visible example. Vegetable harvests trample field mice and kill thousands of millions of insects, fruits are protected from 'pests' with violent control.

This whole palm oil thing has always annoyed me a decent amount, mostly because there is no way to be completely sure your food was created without violence against animals without having watched the entire process yourself. Singling out one totally vegan ingredient and being really aggressive about it, then turning around and eating food that was harvested within the bounds of a brutally efficient capitalist system anyway, doesn't make much sense to me. Is it just due to the fact that orangutans are more humanlike, and the violence against them so sensationalized? Eh. Seems to me a bit like when omnivores ignore the death of livestock but would be horrified if the same thing was done to a dog, just because the dog is cuter and more familiar.

To each their own, I guess.

Anyway, to actually answer your question - I'm unsure of specific sources but (outside of the glaring cruelty of the dairy industry) Ben & Jerry's is well-known for being a sustainable and ethical company, if ever one did exist. So I'm willing to bet they get their palm oil from a sustainable source. Don't quote me on it, though.

:rolleyes: Every company kills animals, friend. Palm oil is just a more visible example. Vegetable harvests trample field mice and kill thousands of millions of insects, fruits are protected from 'pests' with violent control.

This whole palm oil thing has always annoyed me a decent amount, mostly because there is no way to be completely sure your food was created without violence against animals without having watched the entire process yourself. Singling out one totally vegan ingredient and being really aggressive about it, then turning around and eating food that was harvested within the bounds of a brutally efficient capitalist system anyway, doesn't make much sense to me. Is it just due to the fact that orangutans are more humanlike, and the violence against them so sensationalized? Eh. Seems to me a bit like when omnivores ignore the death of livestock but would be horrified if the same thing was done to a dog, just because the dog is cuter and more familiar.
I think you're missing one important aspect here. Orangutans, tigers, rhinos and (I think) elephants are endangered species because of destruction of their habitats. Because of an insatiable and increasing demand, growing palm oil involves clearing new land and thereby destroying habitats, largely in precisely the countries where these endangered species live.

To some extent this is similar to the growing of soya beans in places like the Amazon.

The best solution seems to be the establishment of credible certification programs for sustainable production. WWF has such a program for palm oil.

I looked up 2 of the flavours and they don't list palm oil and use coconut oil. However, the ice cream does contain corn syrup.

Almond Milk (Water, Almonds), Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Coconut Oil, Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup Solids, Dried Cane Syrup, Coffee Extract, Cocoa, Pea Protein, Sugar, Sunflower Lecithin, Corn Starch, Natural Flavor (Coconut, Sesame), Molasses, Soy Lecithin, Dry Malt Extract (Barley), Vanilla Extract, Guar Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Caramel Color, Salt, Carrageenan.

I think you're missing one important aspect here. Orangutans, tigers, rhinos and (I think) elephants are endangered species because of destruction of their habitats. Because of an insatiable and increasing demand, growing palm oil involves clearing new land and thereby destroying habitats, largely in precisely the countries where these endangered species live.

To some extent this is similar to the growing of soya beans in places like the Amazon.

The best solution seems to be the establishment of credible certification programs for sustainable production. WWF has such a program for palm oil.

That's true.

Then again, I am completely convinced that the international span of our capitalist nonsense is totally unsustainable and is always going to threaten endangered species and biodiversity, probably even in a lot of ways we don't understand yet because we're moving too fast. I don't think not buying something with palm oil in it is going to change anything - only massive cultural upheaval could.

If you buy processed foods it's almost impossible to avoid buying things with palm oil in them. It's listed by a lot of other names than palm oil.

palm-oil-wallet-back.jpg

Here's a list of the other 200 names for it: NAMES FOR PALM OIL

Good news, the palm oil in Ben and Jerry's ice cream is 100 percent sustainable.

Question: if Ben and Jerry's doesnt support animal testings but the company that owns it does, is it still bad to buy Ben and Jerry's?

Good news, the palm oil in Ben and Jerry's ice cream is 100 percent sustainable.

Question: if Ben and Jerry's doesnt support animal testings but the company that owns it does, is it still bad to buy Ben and Jerry's?

It's bad if you decide it's something you aren't comfortable supporting.

Every corporation is owned by some other corporation or has shares owned by another corporation who is affiliated with... etc., etc., until you eventually find one that is doing something heinous and getting away with it.

Corporations in general are terrible imo. I think it's going to be really rough to find one that isn't somehow involved with animal cruelty on some level. It all depends on how far you're willing to take it.

I think the most immediate issue is that Ben & Jerry's is an ice cream company. They happily use milk from the factory farming system in their products. That alone would probably deter a lot of vegans. I personally believe supporting their decision to have nondairy products will help push them toward a more sustainable and less exploitative product base.

I just found this on their site. :)

It’s Time to Stand Up and Stand Together
executive_order_OG.png

At Ben & Jerry’s, we strongly denounce the executive order that President Trump issued barring citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering our country. This is a direct assault on our country’s commitment to fairness, the rule of law, and religious liberty. That’s why this weekend, tens of thousands of people gathered in cities and airports to denounce this assault on our values.

The impact of this policy is to deny entry to some of the most vulnerable people in the world, people forced from their homes and fleeing unthinkable violence. It denies entry to some of the world’s best doctors, scholars, and artists, depriving our country of the diversity that makes us great. This executive order does not make us stronger or safer, in fact it does just the opposite. It’s also bad for the business community, which relies upon diverse and inclusive workplaces that make us more competitive while fostering innovation.

We recognize our human family as one and join with the millions who believe in human rights and the struggle for a dignified life for all. Our country is at its best when it stands for the principals of social inclusion based on full and equal rights.

This is a time for us all to stand up and stand together for our nation’s values. We intend to continue to speak out and take action against fear and intolerance. Consider joining us by signing this petition opposing the president’s executive order as a first step.

OPPOSE THE EXECUTIVE ORDER

It’s Time to Stand Up and Stand Together

We got the new flavors at Von's. :bd:

I got the caramel almond brittle one to try. Next time I'll get the coconut seven layer bars. Not sure I'll try the cherry Garcia, I'm not a fan of fruit flavored ice cream.

Reactions: ledboots
I had the Chunky Monkey B&J's ice cream whilst I was in the UK and thought it was awful. What a waste of
nearly £ 6. :sniff:
The Alpro range is far superior as far as texture, taste and sweetness is concerned.