Vegan and vegetarian wines

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Some people maybe surprised that not all wines are vegetarian or vegan approved. In the UK some still put the green V sign to show it is, but organic wine is usually your best bet.

Here is a link that tells you why some wines are not vegan or vegetarian approved;

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/is-wine-vegan/

There maybe traces of animal byproducts in the filtering process so be careful when you order your wine at the bar and check the bottle.

This is something I didn't know...

I haven't drank any alcohol in awhile though I do like to know what's in my drink or food before I buy, actually I don't think I've ever had any wine :p It's not really my thing, I guess there will eventually be a special occasion I guess.

The same is true for clear beers as well.
Only unfiltered bets that you need to allow to stand can be guaranteed vegetarian and obviously if it includes honey for any reason then it won't be vegan.

I find this website rather useful. It includes both wine and beer as well as liquors.
www.barnivore.com

Reactions: 1 person
I never realized that wines and beers can also have traces of animal products in them. That information is good to know. It just shows how little most people know about what is actually in the foods and drinks that we consume. I am from the United States, but I am sure that this issue isn't country specific. I usually don't drink alcohol, but I am also not 100% vegetarian either. I consume a small amount of meat once in a while.

Absolutely new to me, I thought wine came from fruits or vegetables and will completely remain as is. But this is a piece of information. If I haven't known, maybe I just drink and drink my favorite wine not knowing that there is something not right now adays.

Like the others, this is crazy to me. I never would have thought that some aren't vegan. I always just think of fruit being in it. I'll have to let some of my friends know. They're vegan and go through a lot of wine, but they just go to Wal-Mart and pick it up.

I posted about this somewhere else on the boards. You can check barnivore.com et al for your faves to see if they're vegan or not. Mine was not and I still haven't found a suitable alternative.

That's why I always use to order wine online from vegan food shops in UK. There must be some of the wines are not vegan or vegetarian approved but getting it online assure you in this matter. Winemakers and distillers may include animal byproducts in the filtering process and these ingredients don't usually show up on the label, so the only way to find out is to keep asking from where you are getting it.