Vegan Aldi

I'm jealous!
So much in the UK!
But I thought Germany had a lot of vegan options there?
In the US we mostly wait for specials, and hope our store gets stock 🙄
Didn't find any of this weeks specials I wanted - like Moser Roth cranberry chocolate

So much in the UK!
But I thought Germany had a lot of vegan options there?
Not really. It varies a lot from store to store and if you're living in a bigger city or in a town. The LIDL and ALDI in town have only a few products. REWE, Kaufland, tegut and Edeka are better options, even though it depends on the store as well.

I just got the Aldi weekly sale flyer and saw multiple flavors of Earth Grown vegan ravioli.

I really liked ravioli. I could only get it at a few vegan restaurants in Chicago.

I'm up here in meat and cheese country, so I had to do without.

I'll head over tomorrow to pick up a few packages!

Reactions: Raven and PTree15
Same here - as far as Aldi is concerned, we here in Germany (home of Aldi) are jealous that there are so many awesome offers in the UK Aldi shops, while there are only a few (yes, much better than 10 years ago) vegan items available here.

Also, there is a difference between « Aldi North » and « Aldi South », the two parts of the « Aldi empire » (sons of company founder) who have slightly different product ranges, with the « South » part (which also is responsible for business in UK, USA, Australia) seeming to have more vegan specials (but still not as many as the UK).
Whenever someone on a German vegan facebook forum shares a new vegan product at Aldi, I tend to first check whether they’re from the North or South before I get excited…

@Mufflon and myself are in the North part :-(

Lidl (competing discount supermarket chain) has a better range IMO, they have a number of specifically vegan items (including stuff like cream cheese, cookies, cheese alternatives, frozen pizza) marked as such produced specifically for their cheap brands, but also, this likely depends on your local store manager.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and Mufflon
Same here - as far as Aldi is concerned, we here in Germany (home of Aldi) are jealous that there are so many awesome offers in the UK Aldi shops, while there are only a few (yes, much better than 10 years ago) vegan items available here.

Also, there is a difference between « Aldi North » and « Aldi South », the two parts of the « Aldi empire » (sons of company founder) who have slightly different product ranges, with the « South » part (which also is responsible for business in UK, USA, Australia) seeming to have more vegan specials (but still not as many as the UK).
Whenever someone on a German vegan facebook forum shares a new vegan product at Aldi, I tend to first check whether they’re from the North or South before I get excited…

@Mufflon and myself are in the North part :-(

Lidl (competing discount supermarket chain) has a better range IMO, they have a number of specifically vegan items (including stuff like cream cheese, cookies, cheese alternatives, frozen pizza) marked as such produced specifically for their cheap brands, but also, this likely depends on your local store manager.
I didn't know that about Aldi North and South. Hmm, I'm wondering whether my Aldi is in the North, too, because I see other people mention vegan Aldi items that I don't see in my Aldi.

I didn't know that about Aldi North and South. Hmm, I'm wondering whether my Aldi is in the North, too, because I see other people mention vegan Aldi items that I don't see in my Aldi.
According to the article, the US is all Aldi South, with Aldi North being Trader Joes!
I have heard of other Aldis having products I've never seen--like an all vegan pizza (which has toppings I wouldn't like anyway), or things as regulars we only have as specials,like vegan ice cream

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I see the vegan ravioli and think how I should make my own--it's too overpriced! Looks like one serving!

• Informative
According to the article, the US is all Aldi South, with Aldi North being Trader Joes!
I have heard of other Aldis having products I've never seen--like an all vegan pizza (which has toppings I wouldn't like anyway), or things as regulars we only have as specials,like vegan ice cream
Ahhh, OK. I'd forgotten about Trader Joe's being part of the Aldi empire. I do love that store.

Neither Trader Joe’s nor Aldi have a great selection and they are both a 45 minute drive so I rarely bother going.

• Friendly
Reactions: silva and PTree15
I miss Trader Joe's so much. I have an Aldi's near me but it's Aldi Nord so it has very little to offer. Edeka and AlNatura have a good vegan selection, but they are expensive, similar to Barons Market in the US. Rewe and Kaufland are good too but a little less choice.

It does make me a little happy when I see something in Aldi that has the Trader Joe's name on it. Unfortunately, it's usually a nonvegan item.

Aldi has tubs of vegan parm, feta, and blue cheese bits now--not even advertised, I found them posted on a vegan aldi FB I follow. Reviews of the blue were good, so I bought two. I used to love salad with fruit, walnuts and blue!
It really does taste like how I remember cheap blue cheese dressing. Very small bits, like 1/4'. Very very salty!
Of course I can't the receipt, but I'll keep both. I think I'll make a vinaigrette with some.(why is vinaigrette spelled so weird?)
I do now realize how good a sub those cheap salad olives are for blue! They just miss the funkiness.
They also had mozz and cheddar slices but I'm not fond of their shreds, so passed. I find vegan cheeses for that price elsewhere on sale.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Had a salad with the blue cheese, walnuts,apples, dried cranberries, celery and aldi balsamic. Actually every thing but the walnuts were from aldi.
It was really really good!

Got the meatless meatballs back! They were MIA for over a year!
Went for another big tub of spring mix - theirs is the best!
And Texas and Kansas (my sons) BBQ sauces

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I don’t know if my neighbor went recently or not. She had asked if I wanted to go two weeks ago and I said sure but then she never called. So it’s likely she didn’t go. I’ll ask her when I see her again.

I used to buy spring or field greens mix a lot but then I found out that the red lettuce they put in there turns mushy fast so now I look for mixes that don’t have the red but it’s hard to find. I end up just getting a baby green lettuce and spinach but I miss the other greens.

I used to regularly buy Aldi bread and butter pickles when they just had sugar and no corn syrup. I'd been hooked on Trader Joes since they've been made with corn syrup, and TJ's are not. TJ's are like $4 a jar, so I figured I'd try Aldi's again--UGH.
Aldi bread & butter pickles are disgusting now! I will be returning and complaining.
Trader Joes are really good. Mt Olives are also no corn syrup and a bit cheaper

Reactions: KLS52
A brand new Aldi opened up closer to me! It’s about 20 minutes…not too bad. It’s a beautiful store, I’m sure because it’s new. I didn’t buy too much…pretty much just walked around to check it out. But I’ll definitely be going back. I did get some peaches, apples, sesame seed rolls, veggie burgers that I ended up not liking, sadly. I hate trying new things, sometimes. Accidentally vegan coconut cookies. Rice. I didn’t need cheese…I’d like to try their brand. They had quite a bit of coffee but no decaf other than kcups which I don’t use anymore. Which is fine since I found the decaf dark roast at costco.

I did see the meatless meatballs but was afraid to try them. I have not been having much luck in the meatless department lately. But maybe I will try them at some point when I don’t have much of other stuff to buy.