Health Issues Urge to shower at 2am

Last night I closed my ears and eyes to part of Law & Order - Special Victims Unit. There are certain things on TV and in newspapers I feel are just polluting my mind. Not to mention the minds of those who are more fragile or even mentally unstable.

:yes: I haven't watched SVU in years because it's so difficult to watch.

News stories about child or animal abuse leave me messed up for days too. I have managed to avoid a lot of details of the Newtown shooting because I just can't handle hearing it all.

When it comes to the news, or at least certain newspapers in my home country, I'm constantly amazed at how they seem to think people want to read all the details about spectacular rapes, which is bad enough as it is, and then move on to the next story which includes close-ups of scantily dressed semi-celebs, and then you're lucky if the next story isn't also full of sexual undertones. It's mind pollution, if you ask me.

Fake things don't bother me but real images do. I am admittedly an SVU addict and have most episodes memorized, yet I can't watch something like Faces of Death because that's actually happening to real people. As much as I think Saddam Hussain was a piece of crap human, I had no desire to watch his execution on TV. And I aboslutely cannot watch dog fighting or animal slaughter on TV. I've seen that stuff in real life and have no desire to refresh those images in my brain.

I do repost a lot of "urgent dogs" on FB but can barely look at the poor things as I do it. I have considered unliking some of those sites but I figure if just 1 animal is saved because I cross posted, then a friend in a state where the dog is cross posts and the dog gets saved, it's worth it. Though I have a supsicion I've lost a few friends on FB between all my "urgent dogs" and "lost dogs" postings. Guess I clutter up their newsfeed. :p

Reactions: Tom L.
This is so random but I feel like I'm going mad.
I saw a picture on fb earlier which I know is photoshopped but it made me feel physically ill. It's been stuck in my mind so vividly all day. I haven't been able to get to sleep because I've been thinking about it and just now (at 2am) had an overwhelming urge to shower. I tried to tell myself I was being ridiculous and that I wasn't going to be silly and do it. But guess what, I just did. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise.
I don't know what to do :-( this is so stupid! Xxx
Hey, this happened to me once with a photoshopped picture. I was sick for days; couldn't sleep; couldn't stop thinking about it. Now I know to avoid looking at anything with tiny holes, otherwise I'm sent into a fit.

I know the feeling! It's called tryptophobia :)

And now I feel a bit ill thinking about it :/

It is a fear which makes sense. I can totally see how that can be a fear or phobia, they creep me out a bit too.

I tend to get scared with all the skull pictures and pictures of someone with a scary facial expression, and numerous other things. Unfortunately many of my Tumblr followers like to post frightening pictures.

I hadn't heard of it. I googled it as I thought it was a fear of plants (as I hate the look of some - a cactus my mum had in particular creeped me out...it had hundreds of tiny babies growing on it). I wish I hadn't googled it now though, feel sick and disgusting xxx

They say it's not a real thing, but judging but the trauma it causes me I don't give a **** if it's considered real.

Yup! That picture I think we're all thinking of left me shaking for hours afterwards, that's a real reaction.

Sorry crazycatlady, I meant to warn that googling it would bring up images :(

I had to google it too. It had no effect on me, but I imagine it's real if it affects some people that way.

Tiny hole discussion, Spoilered (no pics!).

Did I mention the toads? The toads with holes in their backs? *shudders*

I'm fine with crumpets though. But if I tip out a tin of spaghetti hoops and there's a wall of them left in the tin, I feel sick. It's mostly organic holes but also the tiny holes in sanitary pads make me pretty nauseous too

Every time this thread gets bumped I think of those images again. Even if I don't read the posts. Just seeing the title bump up is starting to be triggering. :(

I know the feeling! It's called tryptophobia

Er, no, trypophobia.

n. An unusually strong fear of, or aversion to, holes, particularly tiny holes that appear clustered together.

http://www.wordspy.com/words/trypophobia.asp

The term trypophobia (sometimes called repetitive pattern phobia[1]) was coined in 2005, a combination of the Greek trypo (punching, drilling or boring holes) and phobia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia