Health Issues Urge to shower at 2am

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This is so random but I feel like I'm going mad.
I saw a picture on fb earlier which I know is photoshopped but it made me feel physically ill. It's been stuck in my mind so vividly all day. I haven't been able to get to sleep because I've been thinking about it and just now (at 2am) had an overwhelming urge to shower. I tried to tell myself I was being ridiculous and that I wasn't going to be silly and do it. But guess what, I just did. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise.
I don't know what to do :-( this is so stupid! Xxx

Do whatever you need to do to feel better. Your reaction will fade with time. I think I know what you are going through. Someone joined my forum once and spammed some of the most hideously graphic, violent, and grotesque anime I have ever seen, and it made me ill. And I'm no pushover. I can eat popcorn while watching House of 1000 Corpses.

It didn't get through to the rest of the forum because of how I have it set up, but of course I had to see it in order to delete it. Time will help you to cope, though unfortunately what's once seen can't be unseen. :hug:

Reactions: SummerRain
I think I know what you mean, sometimes things can really get to you, even if they don't to other people even. I saw something on TV once that made me feel really sick, I couldn't get it out of my mind for ages, every time I thought of it I just felt ill. It wasn't even the most graphic thing on the show, it's just sometimes, some things really get to you.

I agree with Pickle Juice. Within time I felt better, maybe in the mean time try to take your mind off of it where you can, have a shower, watch your favourite film, etc.

Reactions: Pickle Juice
Thanks guys. I feel better about it today. It wasnt actually an animal pic, it's was a human disease type thing. It wasnt even real but made me feel really queezy. Everyone I spoke to about it that also saw it just laughed it off because its so clearly fake. I dunno, just one of those things I guess. And yeah, once it's seen, it can't be unseen. And I think because I keep thinking 'don't think about it' I'm thinking about it!

Glad I could explain it to you guys :) xxx

CCL: I'm sorry you had to experience something so awful. :hug:

I do consider this experience of yours an indication of a trait called Highly Sensitive. I have this trait. Images that are disturbing, and they don't have to be REALLY graphically disturbing, can stick in your mind for a very long time. When this happens to me, not only am I disturbed by them but I'm angry that I saw it because I know it's going to be in my mind for a long time.

I've never taken a shower at 2 am, though. :oops: Probably a harmless thing, IMHO. I did once take a shower at 12 midnight, but not as a response to seeing disturbing images.

To take a test to see if you are a Highly Sensitive Person, please click here: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

I clicked on ALL of them except one, which was When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment... etc. but only because I've never been in that type of situation and I don't know if it's true of me or not. But the others are either true of me or very true. Once I realized that I possess this trait, everything about my life suddenly made more sense. :zen:

CCL: I'm sorry you had to experience something so awful. :hug:

I do consider this experience of yours an indication of a trait called Highly Sensitive. I have this trait. Images that are disturbing, and they don't have to be REALLY graphically disturbing, can stick in your mind for a very long time. When this happens to me, not only am I disturbed by them but I'm angry that I saw it because I know it's going to be in my mind for a long time.

I've never taken a shower at 2 am, though. :oops: Probably a harmless thing, IMHO. I did once take a shower at 12 midnight, but not as a response to seeing disturbing images.

To take a test to see if you are a Highly Sensitive Person, please click here: http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm

I clicked on ALL of them except one, which was When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment... etc. but only because I've never been in that type of situation and I don't know if it's true of me or not. But the others are either true of me or very true. Once I realized that I possess this trait, everything about my life suddenly made more sense. :zen:

Thanks for the link. I had a go but only got 9. Very interesting though. I'm still thinking about the image but less so than yesterday. I keep trying to subtly change the image in my head to something different xxx

Last night I closed my ears and eyes to part of Law & Order - Special Victims Unit. There are certain things on TV and in newspapers I feel are just polluting my mind. Not to mention the minds of those who are more fragile or even mentally unstable.

I'm starting to think I may have to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up on my FB page...mostly the posts about abused dogs. I'm being reduced to tears on almost a daily occasion and I don't feel like it's healthy for me to keep seeing this kind of stuff. :(

I scored 14.

I scored 22... obviously more sensitive than I thought!

But I think no matter how "sensitive" you are, everybody gets weirded out by something, sometime. No matter how resilient you are. It's perfectly normal, as long as it doesn't happen so much it interferes with your life. I'm glad you're feeling a little better now crazycatlady, I think time will help :)

I scored 14.

I did watch a movie trailer once that makes me want to hurl and every so often it comes up in my mind again. Blergh.

I got a 21. I used to have a few hundred animal community friends on FB, but dropped most of them. I just couldn't look at the dozens of pictures of mutilated animals they posted anymore. I still have a few friends who do that and the pictures haunt me for days. I've been sad all day over the picture of a lonely elephant I saw this morning. :(

I'm starting to think I may have to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up on my FB page...mostly the posts about abused dogs. I'm being reduced to tears on almost a daily occasion and I don't feel like it's healthy for me to keep seeing this kind of stuff. :(

I scored 14.

I keep my friends list really, really small, and when someone posts something that affects me, I hide it.

I scored 19. I think I will now retreat to a dark room. :p

I got 25 for that test. A very sensitive person, evidently.

I do think there's a correlation between being highly sensitive and a willingness to avoid eating animals for ethical reasons. *think*