UK UK snap general election 2017

The latest poll (ComRes) suggests a comfortable 10-point lead to the Tories. That would translate into 74-seat majority in Parliament, which in my book is likely to mean more austerity cuts, continued underfunding and a slow death to the NHS, worsened wealth distribution, a hard Brexit, wrecking the environment, hunting foxes with dogs, war on badgers.

Election poll latest: Theresa May to win biggest Tory landslide since Thatcher, final survey predicts

I just thought I'd mention... I've been around a while, and if there's one thing I've noticed about elections, polls can be highly unreliable. I think that's true for the UK as well as the US. There are so many ways to skew polling data, from the language used in questioning, to how the people who are polled are selected (For example, if done using only landline phones, you're going to be getting mostly the elderly responding), to blatantly changing the data collected to reflect the politics of the people doing the polling. And possibly other ways as well, such as factoring in internet polling, which we know is definitely unreliable. I'd be careful about relying on polling data to make voting decisions or considering it to be "official" election news. :)

Just watching the BBC and the result of the exit polls. It looks like the Tories may lose their overall majority ...!

:wtf:is going on! Lol!

I feel guilty, but it wouldn't affect us if we have a recession after this UK election and Brexit. If house prices dropped and interest rates rose after this election it would help us as a household as we don't have any debt apart from a mortgage. I hope we don't have a recession though, obviously.

Last edited:
Putting ID laws in place effectively places a price on voting, as you have to pay for ID - it cuts off the poorest people in the country from voting.

Interesting.

In German-speaking countries nobody would consider not having a picture ID, so you are required to produce it for voting.

Interesting.

In German-speaking countries nobody would consider not having a picture ID, so you are required to produce it for voting.

The two main forms of ID are a passport and a driving license here - first driving licenses are currently £34, first passports are £72.50, and then you have to pay to renew them. It might not sound like much, but for a lot of people that would mean not eating for a week or two. Lots of people don't have either form - I actually didn't have a valid ID for a couple of months earlier this year, because money was tight and they both expired at the same time.

The two main forms of ID are a passport and a driving license here - first driving licenses are currently £34, first passports are £72.50, and then you have to pay to renew them. It might not sound like much, but for a lot of people that would mean not eating for a week or two. Lots of people don't have either form - I actually didn't have a valid ID for a couple of months earlier this year, because money was tight and they both expired at the same time.

The situation is similar in the U.S. (although I think that all states will issue an ID that's not a driver's license, in addition to issuing driver's licenses.

However, the requirements for what you have to provide in order to get a driver's license or non-license ID are difficult/expensive for people, especially since 9/11.

For example, I had to provide my naturalization papers, among other ID. At first I couldn't find them, and it would have cost me over $600 to obtain a copy.

A lot of older poor people don't have birth certificates, which are required in order to get a state issued ID or license. So then you have to go through whatever steps the locality in which you were born however many decades ago requires to prove who your parents were and that you were in fact born to them. It's well beyond the reach of most people who don't have a birth certificate.

The kind of municipal and church records that exist in Germany simply don't exist in the U.S.

Exit polls can be OK but the polls days and weeks before have now predicted a Clinton Presidency, UK to remain in the EU, and several wrong general election results.

The Tories have caused chaos once again. First the referendum, now the snap election. Chaos Conservatives, that's what they are :)

I was going to say this yesterday but someone I know has been saying for quite a while that there would be a hung parliament. He has been raging about Brexit since it happened. He works for one of those companies, like Cambridge Analytica.Cambridge Analytica - Wikipedia

Some people really didn't want Brexit, or IndyRef2 in Scotland!

Personally, I hope this means that we won't leave the EU!:)

Cambridge Analytica was backing the Leave vote in Brexit, so I guess he would be with one of their competitors (or do you mean "raging about" as in "endorsing it")...

No, he works for one of those companies that tries to influence people on how to vote. He personally thinks (like me) that JC is a complete idiot, but he thought that a hung parliament would be the best way of having a soft Brexit. That is his personal view.

He just happens to work for the company that flooded social media with pro-Labour messages to make young people vote for Labour in this election. He told me that he had to try and influence people to vote for Brexit for his job even though he was against it personally. Does that make sense? Lol, I'm tired. He admitted this to me when he was drunk one night, haha.

I am shocked at how easily influenced some people are!:eek:

He just happens to work for the company that flooded social media with pro-Labour messages to make young people vote for Labour in this election. He told me that he had to try and influence people to vote for Brexit for his job even though he was against it personally. Does that make sense?

Well, it does make sense to me. We all do things for money that we likely would not do, without. But I think it can be personally challenging if you need to do things for your job that go against your personal morals.

"June is the end of May" ... that message seems to be trending now, and I can not really disagree :D

TM says she will form a new government with the support of the DUP. The DUP are a very socially conservative party who are against same sex marriage, abortion, and I just found out that they also deny climate change.

Someone on the BBC said we might have to have another EU referendum?! What a mess.