UK UK snap general election 2017

Why haven't you become a voter?:confused: Haven't you lived here quite a long time?! I thought you said you voted in the Brexit vote for some reason.
No, you have to be a UK, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen to vote in the UK parliament elections. I could get UK citizenship if I were willing to part with more than £1,000 and also give up my Norwegian citizenship (since Norway doesn't generally allow double citizenship), but I must admit my homeland, for all its faults, is more dear to me than the UK, so that is not an option, at least not for now.

Likewise, you had to be a UK, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen to vote in the UK's EU referendum. However, I did vote in the EU membership referendum of 1994 in Norway ...

Well she says " free vote of MPs after the election" So I assume that means individual MPs will be able to have a vote according to how they think ? and not vote along party lines .
If it is, there's plenty of time to put pressure on individual MPs .
Yes, but the anti-hunting sentiment isn't typically very strong amongst Tory voters. There is only a relatively small group of Tory MPs who oppose fox hunting. If the Tories get a significant majority at the next election, and there is a free vote on the ban, it could well get repealed, perhaps especially since the prime minister supports the repeal.

Last edited:
I've been told by vegans I know that illegal fox hunting does still go on here, despite the ban. I've seen photos they have shown me of people dressed up in their stupid hunting outfits. The vegans I've known try to sabotage the hunts as the police often turn a blind eye.

No, you have to be a UK, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen to vote in the UK parliament elections. I could get UK citizenship if I were willing to part with more than £1,000 and also give up my Norwegian citizenship (since Norway doesn't generally allow double citizenship),

That seems weird.

I've been told by vegans I know that illegal fox hunting does still go on here, despite the ban. I've seen photos they have shown me of people dressed up in their stupid hunting outfits. The vegans I've known try to sabotage the hunts as the police often turn a blind eye.

That seems weird.

Not all countries accept dual citizenship.

Yeah, thanks!

Have also just researched it, seems there are about as many that allow as those that do not allow among the countries listed.
As my home country Austria does not allow it, it seemed "more natural" for me that it would be not allowed in General.
So I can see how those coming from a country allowing it would consider it weird that some countries do not allow it...

Yes, but the anti-hunting sentiment isn't typically very strong amongst Tory voters. There is only a relatively small group of Tory MPs who oppose fox hunting. If the Tories get a significant majority at the next election, and there is a free vote on the ban, it could well get repealed, perhaps especially since the prime minister supports the repeal.

Well maybe IS , they do seem to expect a new lot of Tory MPs ( might be wishful thinking , I don't know) to come in and according to Gale he doubts if they will be pro hunting .
That's why those in the marginal seats need to be canvased to see if they are pro or anti .

Tories warned against 'wasting time' campaigning for repeal of hunting ban

I read today that the Tories could end up with a majority of as much as 120 MPs. So yes, if that happens, I'd be surprised if the fox hunting ban is not repealed.

I won't be silly enough to vote on an issue like fox hunting when my country has decided to make what I consider to be a stupid decision on leaving the EU. I think there will be a recession and I'm worried about how bad it will be.

I remember that you thought the UK should leave but you didn't seem to care if people lost their jobs as a result.

Bring it - I'm not afraid! I would be unlikely to lose my job, unless they decided to expel all foreigners, which also sounds unlikely.

I won't be silly enough to vote on an issue like fox hunting when my country has decided to make what I consider to be a stupid decision on leaving the EU. I think there will be a recession and I'm worried about how bad it will be.
Well, elections are rarely about a single issue, but I'm surprised if that particular one wasn't considered a very important issue by yourself and others here.
I remember that you thought the UK should leave but you didn't seem to care if people lost their jobs as a result.
Losing a job can be a tragedy for both the employee and their family, and I'm empathic towards anyone who experiences this. However, the particular point that was discussed in the exchange you referred to was the possibility that a Brexit would bring down the artificially inflated house prices in this country, prices which are helping uphold the class society with all its ugly consequences. Someone whose job depends on the continued existence of this injustice, and loses that job when house prices fall, can look at the bigger picture and take comfort in the hope that this adjustment of the economy is for the greater good of society.

How did these Brexit donor arseholes get to be so rich? asks Britain :D

Losing a job can be a tragedy for both the employee and their family, and I'm empathic towards anyone who experiences this. However, the particular point that was discussed in the exchange you referred to was the possibility that a Brexit would bring down the artificially inflated house prices in this country, prices which are helping uphold the class society with all its ugly consequences. Someone whose job depends on the continued existence of this injustice, and loses that job when house prices fall, can look at the bigger picture and take comfort in the hope that this adjustment of the economy is for the greater good of society.

Lol, I'm sure anyone who might lose their job as a result of Brexit will see it that way. If there is a recession here it will hit the poorest hardest, as wealthier people are more insulated and they obviously rely less on public services and welfare.

Last edited:
Apparently, there are three groups now in the UK, the Hard Leavers who wanted Brexit, the Hard Remainers who still want Brexit stopped and a third group called Re-Leavers, catchy name!:p These are people who voted to Remain in the EU and think that leaving was the wrong decision, but crucially now believe the government has a duty to carry out the will of the British people. This must be one of the things that is helping the Conservative party to be so far ahead in the polls.

YouGov | Forget 52%. The rise of the “Re-Leavers” mean the pro-Brexit electorate is 68%

Theresa May’s social care system is a lottery. Just hope you’re not unlucky | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian
General Election 2017: Is Theresa May a 'Red Tory'? - BBC News

I will probably just read the manifestos and make my choice about how to vote. I do think the triple lock should go. At this point I am deciding between LD and Conservative.

Quoting and answering my own post, haha!

TM has really moved to the centre left with her economic policies. I agree with quite a few of the ideas in the Conservative manifesto regarding pensioners (removing the triple lock etc...) as I do think the "grey vote" have had too much given to them by government. I think there should be more investment in areas outside of London too as the UK is unbalanced.

I think I will still vote LD as I live in a borough with a safe Labour seat so my vote doesn't count anyway.:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
The Tory manifesto confirms their position as 'the nasty party':
The Prime Minister has said she would vote to lift the ban on fox hunting despite never having taken part in a hunt - insisting it was less cruel than other ways of controlling foxes.
The manifesto pledge said: 'We will grant a free vote, on a government bill in government time, to give parliament the opportunity to decide the future of the Hunting Act.'
More: Outrage as Theresa May confirms a fox hunting vote | Daily Mail Online (18. May 2017)

Well maybe IS , they do seem to expect a new lot of Tory MPs ( might be wishful thinking , I don't know) to come in and according to Gale he doubts if they will be pro hunting .
That's why those in the marginal seats need to be canvased to see if they are pro or anti .

Tories warned against 'wasting time' campaigning for repeal of hunting ban
We can hope that is the case, but we just don't know. The energy might be better spent campaigning against Tory MPs being elected in the first place.

Lol, I'm sure anyone who might lose their job as a result of Brexit will see it that way. If there is a recession here it will hit the poorest hardest, as wealthier people are more insulated and they obviously rely less on public services and welfare.
You can't lose your job if you don't have one in the first place. But I agree, the poorest will be hit hardest. That is why we need policies to help the most vulnerable during the transition. Do we trust the Conservatives, with their history of helping the wealthy, to provide such policies?
TM has really moved to the centre left with her economic policies. I agree with quite a few of the ideas in the Conservative manifesto regarding pensioners (removing the triple lock etc...) as I do think the "grey vote" have had too much given to them by government. I think there should be more investment in areas outside of London too as the UK is unbalanced.
Some of the policies May is advocating definitely seem more to the left than what the Tories usually come up with, but on the whole it still seems recognizably Conservative.

You can't lose your job if you don't have one in the first place. But I agree, the poorest will be hit hardest. That is why we need policies to help the most vulnerable during the transition. Do we trust the Conservatives, with their history of helping the wealthy, to provide such policies?

UK unemployment is at the lowest level since 1975.

The Conservatives are the only credible political party at the moment, whatever I feel about it, that's the reality.

I keep meaning to say that if there is a recession the Tories will get the blame for Brexit and the economy failing, which is a good thing if people want a centre left government again. I don't know if Labour even want to win this election as they would get blamed for wrecking the economy again. It wasn't their fault the 2007-2008 crash happened, but some UK people hold them partially responsible because they were in government at the time.

Last edited: