UK UK snap general election 2017

VegNews has a recent article about Corbyn:
Ahead of England’s general election on June 8, Labor Party leader Jeremy Corbyn pledged that he will support the growth of the plant-based sector if re-elected. “We are announcing plans to aid plant-based food manufacturers later this week,” Corbyn stated on Twitter on Tuesday. The vegetarian politician has served as the party leader since 2015 and last year, appointed Kerry McCarthy—an outspoken vegan—as Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs.
More: Jeremy Corbyn to Fund Plant-Based Businesses (18. May 2017)

UK unemployment is at the lowest level since 1975.
Fair enough, but my other points remain: can we really trust the party which has fairly consistently sided with the privileged to suddenly turn around and help the less fortunate? Can we trust the Conservatives to rescue the NHS? Can they be trusted to take responsibility on environmental and climate issues?
The Conservatives are the only credible political party at the moment, whatever I feel about it, that's the reality.
They only look good because the only real opposition party is in such trouble, and because the UK media is what it is. That doesn't mean the Conservatives are the only credible party. In fact, they lack credibility on a number of policy areas.
I keep meaning to say that if there is a recession the Tories will get the blame for Brexit and the economy failing, which is a good thing if people want a centre left government again. I don't know if Labour even want to win this election as they would get blamed for wrecking the economy again.
It was Cameron's idea to hold the referendum, so the Tories can (and should) already be blamed for Brexit, and the same is true for the turbulent economic times that will follow.

Here's Why This Election Is The Final Straw In Putting People Off Politics

Fair enough, but my other points remain: can we really trust the party which has fairly consistently sided with the privileged to suddenly turn around and help the less fortunate? Can we trust the Conservatives to rescue the NHS? Can they be trusted to take responsibility on environmental and climate issues?

They only look good because the only real opposition party is in such trouble, and because the UK media is what it is. That doesn't mean the Conservatives are the only credible party. In fact, they lack credibility on a number of policy areas.

It was Cameron's idea to hold the referendum, so the Tories can (and should) already be blamed for Brexit, and the same is true for the turbulent economic times that will follow.

There are only two options for government, so if Labour aren't credible then there is only one party left.

If people are doing so badly under the Conservatives then why are people still supporting them? Theresa May is the most popular leader on record, why would she be so popular if the Tories only help the rich? POLL: Theresa May more popular than Thatcher and Blair at their peak - Business Insider

Working class people are so stupid, aren't they?:fp: Did anyone read the link about left wing people and how they pretend to care about working class people?:D

ETA - it could apply to me as well, I know, as I am guilty of being elitist and out of touch.

Last edited:
Did anyone read the link about left wing people and how they pretend to care about working class people?:D
Sorry, but I reckon a satirical piece in The Spectator (the Conservative party's politics and culture magazine) is about as funny as a satirical piece in good old Pravda or the Chinese People's Daily.

Sorry, but I reckon a satirical piece in The Spectator (the Conservative party's politics and culture magazine) is about as funny as a satirical piece in good old Pravda or the Chinese People's Daily.

Lol, you said that you don't care if people in the UK lose their jobs if there is a recession because of Brexit. You said you didn't care about people (probably mainly working class) losing their jobs because you thought your own job was safe. You are exactly the type of person that piece talks about.:lol: There isn't really a way to wriggle out of that! At least be honest.

Indian Summer - why don't you join the Labour party and become an activist if you agree with JC? I meant to ask you that before. You could still do that even if you don't vote, I think? There are still three weeks left.

It looks like the polls are narrowing.UK Polling Report

YouGov 20th May - CON 44%, LAB 35%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 3%.
The nine point Conservative lead is the lowest seen so far in this campaign, the first in single figures.

Lol, you said that you don't care if people in the UK lose their jobs if there is a recession because of Brexit. You said you didn't care about people (probably mainly working class) losing their jobs because you thought your own job was safe. You are exactly the type of person that piece talks about.:lol:
That is not true. I did not say I didn't care if people lost their jobs. The "bring it" post was entirely from my own personal point of view, in the desperate hope that a Brexit outcome would bring down house prices.

I can't believe the reaction from some people to the Conservative social care idea. God forbid someone living in a £2 million house should pay anything towards their own care. It's not as if people in expensive houses have done anything to earn the equity they have made over the years with the ridiculous house price increases. It is fairer on people living in cheaper areas of the country too.

I can't believe the reaction from some people to the Conservative social care idea. God forbid someone living in a £2 million house should pay anything towards their own care. It's not as if people in expensive houses have done anything to earn the equity they have made over the years with the ridiculous house price increases. It is fairer on people living in cheaper areas of the country too.
Looks like May has changed her mind:
In an evasive TV interview, the Prime Minister was asked three times why she was not being “honest” about her decision to agree to a cap on care costs – four days after her manifesto ruled it out.

Today marked the first time that the Prime Minister’s character has become an issue in the election campaign, raising its head after the Tory lead narrowed to single digits in several polls.
More: Theresa May accused of dishonesty over 'dementia tax' U-turn amid campaign disarray

Indian Summer - why don't you join the Labour party and become an activist if you agree with JC? I meant to ask you that before. You could still do that even if you don't vote, I think? There are still three weeks left.

IS - you must have missed my question the first time, are you going to do anything to support the Labour party if you can't be bothered to become a voter in the UK?

I was just reading that 90,000 young people registered to vote today!

I hope they manage to really vote instead of just voting on Facebook!:D

Wow, I thought the interview between Andrew Neil and JC was a bloodbath. The one he had with TM was quite terrible as well. Why do we have these awful leaders at the moment?!:fp:

I did think about voting Labour to support my local Labour MP. I read her list of "achievements" on the booklet she posted through my door and IMO she has been quite crap for my local area. I have actually met her at a work thing a few years ago and she is very annoying in person as well.:p

I decided to vote for one of the two main parties instead of Lib Dem so I will go and post my postal vote and vote Conservative for the first time in my voting life. There were simply horrifying options in this election and the only other option was not to vote and I feel that would be an insult to the women who gave me the choice to vote.

Wow, I thought the interview between Andrew Neil and JC was a bloodbath. The one he had with TM was quite terrible as well. Why do we have these awful leaders at the moment?!:fp:

I did think about voting Labour to support my local Labour MP. I read her list of "achievements" on the booklet she posted through my door and IMO she has been quite crap for my local area. I have actually met her at a work thing a few years ago and she is very annoying in person as well.:p

I decided to vote for one of the two main parties instead of Lib Dem so I will go and post my postal vote and vote Conservative for the first time in my voting life. There were simply horrifying options in this election and the only other option was not to vote and I feel that would be an insult to the women who gave me the choice to vote.

You're quite right. I only saw the film, Suffragette, the other day and it was appalling how these poor woman were treated in prison.

Last edited:
I decided to vote for one of the two main parties instead of Lib Dem so I will go and post my postal vote and vote Conservative for the first time in my voting life.
Not completely surprising based on what you've said in the thread. But I am still disappointed. Sorry. And I don't understand your reasoning. Also, I thought you said you were in a safe Labour seat, so why not vote for a smaller party perhaps closer to your preferences?

I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for Labour, but they're still a better alternative than the Conservatives by standards that are typically important to vegans, vegetarians and "green" people in general. Yes, maybe JC and his followers are a bit over the top on some issues, but how can you turn around and support almost the polar opposite of that?

(Disclaimer: Your vote is obviously up to you, and I don't want to tell you who to vote for, but you brought it up! So thought it would be OK at least to tell you who not to vote for! Sorry if I'm over the line.)

(Disclaimer: Your vote is obviously up to you, and I don't want to tell you who to vote for, but you brought it up! So thought it would be OK at least to tell you who not to vote for! Sorry if I'm over the line.)

Let's reverse this. If I moved to Norway and lectured you on how to vote, then said I couldn't be bothered to vote in your country or bother to do anything to help the political party I liked in Norwegian politics. What if I said that also that I hoped the Norwegian economy would tank so I could buy a property there. What would you think of me?

I read the manifesto of the Conservative Party. Main two negative points are enviromentalism (lack of) and the fact that they have promised so little specifically. A vote for them is handing over the power to someone who hasn't said much about what they will do with it.

Labour is slightly better, certainly better on the environment. But .... – free and better education for all, extra NHS funding, living wage, but only small tax increases, and cutting deficit, does that really add up??

I read the Liberal Democrat manifesto and thought it was clearly the best of the three. They are much more enlightened. Compared to the other two, it's night and day. Read about their Green Transport Act, Zero-Carbon Britain Act, Nature Act, Green Buildings Act, and Zero-Waste Act.

Let's reverse this. If I moved to Norway and lectured you on how to vote, then said I couldn't be bothered to vote in your country or bother to do anything to help the political party I liked in Norwegian politics. What if I said that also that I hoped the Norwegian economy would tank so I could buy a property there. What would you think of me?
Sounds pretty good to me :) (And as an EU citizen, you actually would be eligible to vote there in local elections, unlike my situation in the UK.)

Not completely surprising based on what you've said in the thread. But I am still disappointed. Sorry. And I don't understand your reasoning. Also, I thought you said you were in a safe Labour seat, so why not vote for a smaller party perhaps closer to your preferences?

I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for Labour, but they're still a better alternative than the Conservatives by standards that are typically important to vegans, vegetarians and "green" people in general. Yes, maybe JC and his followers are a bit over the top on some issues, but how can you turn around and support almost the polar opposite of that?

I believe that a vote is a personal choice and shouldn't be dictated to someone. This reminds me of someone in the UK telling me that she hoped that ''I had made the right vote'' in the French presidential elections ! The 'right' vote may have been her choice but not my one !!!

I never ask people how they are going to vote and don't even know how my friends vote.
The only thing that annoys me is people that choose not to vote. I have one friend who is a very responsable person and she never votes in any of the elections.