UK UK snap general election 2017

How do you think that would go now?

:pI have absolutely no idea, I don't understand what British people are thinking at the moment. I would obviously still vote to remain in. Someone was saying on the TV just now that people in Europe are laughing at us, I can't think why! :D

Quite a few people are saying that there might be another General Election here in the autumn.

I don't know why she included such a toxic issue as fox hunting in the manifesto when it is so unpopular. TM showed complete arrogance. I think she will be replaced very quickly. It's typical as we finally got a second woman PM and she made such a colossal misstep and now will probably go down as one of the worst in history. I can't even think of who they will get to replace her.

The Labour party offered a manifesto where they promised free stuff to everyone and unsurprisingly some people must have liked that. I was hoping they would change their leader and front bench, but now they will probably keep them all in place. It's so depressing at the moment! One thing is clear to me is that now that the Conservative party is cosying up with the DUP that I will probably have to go back to voting Labour.

From climate denial to abortion: six DUP stances you should know about | Politics | The Guardian

Last edited:
Ah, I keep forgetting!

Your first woman PM was such a success, hard to top.

I know, we women should probably just get back in the kitchen and shut our mouths. :rolleyes:Let the men make the decisions about politics as they know best. I have noticed the misogyny and sexism about TM's age and appearance in the UK election seems similar to the comments made about Hillary Clinton in the US election.

Very interesting to see that Labour won Kensington:

Quoting from the link above:

The winner in Kensington was declared nearly 24 hours after polls closed because three recounts were necessary to determine the result. After the second recount, officials sent staff home to rest.

The west London seat, the boundaries of which have been redrawn several times, had been in the hands of the Conservatives since its establishment in 1974. It is seen as a natural Tory haven partly because it is Britain’s richest constituency, according to the latest data from HM Revenue & Customs.

Kensington’s average income was £148,000 per annum in 2014-15, putting it ahead of Cities of London of Westminster, where the average was £127,000, and Chelsea and Fulham, where it was £117,000. In no other constituency were average earnings as great as £100,000.

I wonder if that means that a decent chunk of people there deliberately voted against their own self interest believing that Labour was better for the country.

Very interesting to see that Labour won Kensington:

Quoting from the link above:

The winner in Kensington was declared nearly 24 hours after polls closed because three recounts were necessary to determine the result. After the second recount, officials sent staff home to rest.

The west London seat, the boundaries of which have been redrawn several times, had been in the hands of the Conservatives since its establishment in 1974. It is seen as a natural Tory haven partly because it is Britain’s richest constituency, according to the latest data from HM Revenue & Customs.

Kensington’s average income was £148,000 per annum in 2014-15, putting it ahead of Cities of London of Westminster, where the average was £127,000, and Chelsea and Fulham, where it was £117,000. In no other constituency were average earnings as great as £100,000.

I wonder if that means that a decent chunk of people there deliberately voted against their own self interest believing that Labour was better for the country.

Most people earning that amount would know that they could possibly use salary sacrifice to put their money into their pension and pay less tax.

I was amazed at the number of seriously close calls - seats being won by as little as TWO VOTES.

Nobody in the UK is ever allowed to say their vote doesn't count again :p

I'm also super proud of Kensington - one of the few constituencies where most residents would genuinely benefit from a Conservative government, voting instead for social policies funded by tax hikes on their wage brackets. We need a bit more of that going on.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
:pI have absolutely no idea, I don't understand what British people are thinking at the moment. I would obviously still vote to remain in. Someone was saying on the TV just now that people in Europe are laughing at us, I can't think why! :D

Quite a few people are saying that there might be another General Election here in the autumn.

I don't know why she included such a toxic issue as fox hunting in the manifesto when it is so unpopular. TM showed complete arrogance. I think she will be replaced very quickly. It's typical as we finally got a second woman PM and she made such a colossal misstep and now will probably go down as one of the worst in history. I can't even think of who they will get to replace her.

The Labour party offered a manifesto where they promised free stuff to everyone and unsurprisingly some people must have liked that. I was hoping they would change their leader and front bench, but now they will probably keep them all in place. It's so depressing at the moment! One thing is clear to me is that now that the Conservative party is cosying up with the DUP that I will probably have to go back to voting Labour.

From climate denial to abortion: six DUP stances you should know about | Politics | The Guardian

I hope that things will settle down and that the government gets on with it's job. TM will not remain in power for very long as she took a gamble and lost. She had the majority and now she has a hung parliament.
Lots of money and time wasted with 3 terror attacks in 3 months which certainly did not help her. Moreover, her Brexit negotiations were far from clear.

People should know that you don't get anything for free.

May's aides in firing line after election woe

Last edited:
I wonder who will replace her? Boris?:eek::D

I thought I might wake up and find that there was a miraculous solution to this mess. It's amusing to read the reactions of the die hard Tory and die hard Labour supporters, both sides think that they won!

I read this and got more worried, they think the economy is going to go over the cliff and make austerity look like the good years.Theresa May’s failed gamble

Paraphrasing from something a farmer just said in an interview on BBC: TM basically asked for a mandate for a hard Brexit, and the people has not given it to her. So now we need a new prime minister with a more pragmatic approach to the Brexit negotiations.

So I guess that should mean a softer Brexit, if there is such a thing.

I know, we women should probably just get back in the kitchen and shut our mouths.

Not what I wanted to say at all!

But I note that Ms Thatcher did a lot for the advancement of equality by proving that a woman can be a horrible person and a cruel politician as well as any man.

Not what I wanted to say at all!

But I note that Ms Thatcher did a lot for the advancement of equality by proving that a woman can be a horrible person and a cruel politician as well as any man.

This. I never liked the fact that Britain's first female PM was such an awful person.

I'm probably annoying myself by reading so much about it. It was the same with Brexit and Trump. I was getting increasingly irritated but I couldn't tear myself away from reading the online arguments. People are being really obnoxious calling TM frumpy, a harridan, a hag etc... :rolleyes:

TM's main two top aides have resigned from their jobs today.

I thought that article said very little about who the DUP are. I'm sure you (MF) probably know very well who they are, but for the benefit of our other members, here's a slightly more enlightening article from the same newspaper:
7 things you didn't know about the DUP
... though it eloquently neglects to mention their role in "The Troubles" and their continued links with still active UDA terrorists:
The UDA backed the DUP in this election by issuing a statement in support of the party’s South Belfast candidate Emma Little Pengelly, “strongly urging” people to back her. The news drew sharp criticism from political opponents, including former Northern Ireland Justice Minister David Ford, who said: “Arlene Foster needs to make clear if her party accepts an endorsement by a group closely connected to the UDA. The electorate, particularly in South Belfast where this endorsement was given, deserve to know.
However, concerns were further fuelled when it emerged that the DUP’s leader Arlene Foster met with the UDA’s chief during the election campaign, just 48 hours after the murder of a local man in a supermarket car park.
More: The Tories are forming a coalition with a party backed by terrorists (9. June 2017)

I thought that article said very little about who the DUP are. I'm sure you (MF) probably know very well who they are,

Sorry, I should have been more clear: that comment was meant as criticism of the Telegraph article, not against you. :)

I wasn't sure what you meant, but that you said that specifically that I (MF) know who the DUP are made me wonder if you were referring to the fact that I am of Irish descent. I assumed that isn't what you could possibly be saying to me. :confused:

I think we must have a miscommunication problem as we seem to keep taking each other the wrong way on here lately.

I didn't even start this election thread as my posts were moved over here from the Brexit discussion.

I wasn't sure what you meant, but that you said that specifically that I (MF) know who the DUP are made me wonder if you were referring to the fact that I am of Irish descent. I assumed that isn't what you could possibly be saying to me. :confused:
No, I was trying to not come off as if I were lecturing you, since you're obviously someone who has been following UK politics for a while. I had forgotten about your Irish ancestry. Despite my efforts, it ended up a poorly worded post!
I think we must have a miscommunication problem as we seem to keep taking each other the wrong way on here lately.
Maybe we should see a relationship therapist :D Nah, I think we can work it out :)