Trying to become vegan

Simão Ramos

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Im trying to become vegan for health, ethics and enviroment, but my dad is old-school and he heard alot of flwad nutricional advice from nutritionist that say "everything in moderation", and " vegan is radicalism, and radicalism is bad", "its a defecient diet", he doest care about youtube videos(ex:Michel Greger) or studies that i show from the internet, he only follow blindly the advice from nutritionists at hospitals, what do i do to convice him that is better to be vegan when he isnt open minded?

First off, you don't find nutritionists at hospitals. You find Registered Dieticians at hospitals. Well, that may not be true in every state. but nationwide nutritionists are not regulated. Registered Dieticians are. but I do recall reading that some states do it differently.

Regardless of their title, in 2018, you would be hard pressed to find an RD that does not recommend a plant-based diet. I belong to Kaiser - and the whole HMO recommends Plant Based from top to bottom. In the hospital room and cafeteria, most of the food is plant-based. I'm going to guesstimate that it's like 90% vegan. Every once in a while you will see chicken or egg. You're more likely to get soy milk than cow's milk.

It seems like every day another study comes out reinforcing that American's eating habits are formed by tradition and not good science.

IF there is no convincing him, then you just say starting now you eating a plant-based diet. There has to be plenty of plant-based food in the house. Just avoid the animal products. If your parents make roast beef, green beans, and mashed potatoes, just eat the green beans and the mashed tomatoes. Make your own lunches and breakfasts. You dad can't force you to eat meat if you don't want to.

However, I think it would be best to never stop trying to convince him. Maybe make some bargains. You will do all the dishes this week if this weekend he watches What the Health with you. Or go to the library and get a WFPB cookbook. he can pick the meal and you'll cook it. Help with grocery shopping in exchange for some more vegan-friendly items like soy milk and tofu. Stuff like that.

The Vegetarian Resource Group has an FAQ on working with your parents. I would think this would be the best place to start.

http://www.vrg.org/teen/telling_your_parents.php

There are a bunch of teenage vegans who have videos on this subject in YouTube. I haven't watched any of them and I imagine that some may not be of any help at all. But you might want to check a few out. Bite Size Vegan is a well-respected adult YouTube vegan. She has a video on the subject.

http://bitesizevegan.com/vegan-life...-let-me-go-vegan-advice-from-real-vegan-kids/

Take your time, be patient and think long term.

Thank you very much, well, i actually live in europe but i bet its the same situation here

Depending on how old you are, you could just ignore him, I mean if you're an adult he has no say over your diet.

If you are still dependent I recommend scouring the kitchen for accidentally vegan foods like pasta, veggie sauces, beans, oats, peanut butter and Asian inspired dishes or Mediterranean dips such as hummus and tapenade.

Have him watch documentaries like Cowspiracy and Forks Over Knives. Show him that Donald Watson lived to be 95.

Reactions: Lou
Hello and welcome!
I wish you luck with your dad. When I first told dad I was going vegan he thought I would end up in hospital. Now he goes to vegan camp with me. So there is definitely hope.

By the way I think everything in moderation. But veganism doesn't clash with that. Not to my mind anyway. You just get your protein sources from beans and pulses instead of meat. it isn't an extreme diet at all. Maybe when you're vegan for a few years he will ease up and accept your dietary choice.

Vegan camp?
That's something I hadn't heard of before.
But it does sound like fun.
Are there lessons? Games?

Over here we have vegan cruises and tours. Conferences, too.

Reactions: hopeful
Hey I am not sure if you can change him or open his mind, but try making changes slowly and incrementally to diet and lifestyle. Hopefully this will not force things on him and he might see the benefits, Good luck my friend!