Vegan Tres non Leches cake!

MorellaRat

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
TRES LECHES CAKE

Calorific and loaded with sugar, make sure it serves at least 10! Think thin slices!

Takes: 15 minutes for the cake, 25 minutes to bake, 10 minutes to top.

Special equipment: Electric whisk, 8 inch circular cake tin

Ingredients:

7oz white sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

4 eggs white worth of aquafaba

7oz white self raising flour

1 tsp baking powder

100ml milk

200ml tin of condensed coconut milk

300ml soya whipping cream

2 tbsp icing sugar

Cinnamon (optional)

Method:

1: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees conventional. Use fan if necessary but it can inhibit the rising a little bit.

2: Put the aquafaba into a jug or bowl and begin to whisk until foamy. This can take up to 3 minutes.

3: Add 5oz of white sugar whilst whisking, one spoonful at a time, then the vanilla essence. The mixture should look thick and glossy.

4: In another bowl, weigh out the white flour, remaining 2oz of sugar and the baking powder.

5: Fold the aquafaba into the bowl of dry ingredients, using a metal spoon. If the batter is too dry, add some plant milk to prevent the flour clogging into lumps.

6: Gently pour the cake batter into the 8 inch cake tin, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, as the high sugar content means it can burn easily, and all oven cooking times vary.

7: Once baked, leave your cake to cool for 10 minutes. Then take a skewer and poke little holes into the surface.

8: Mix 3 tbsp of whipping cream into the condensed coconut milk and pour half of this over the cake. Allow it to soak in, and if the cake hasn’t gone too squishy, pour the rest on. If you’re worried about a soggy sponge, leave it be.

9: Whisk the remaining whipping cream to stiff peaks, adding the icing sugar to sweeten it, and spoon it on top of the cake.

Sprinkle with cinnamon if you like this spice!

Given this starts off as such a non vegan recipe, it wasn't actually very difficult to convert. Hope everybody enjoys it!

I've never tried making that, do you have a dairy free recipe for it at all?

Sadly no. I used to make the dairy version in the pressure cooker. If I rightly remember it took about 20 minutes for the sauce to be just right.

1622277538258.png

Stockfood UK

I don't see why you can't try and make it using the plant based version that is available in supermarkets.

I found this link (haven't read it) and it does look tasty.