Vegan Cheesy jackfruit pasties

MorellaRat

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This recipe was inspired by a Tesco Wicked Kitchen pastie that I spotted when I was shopping online. I liked the sound of it, but not the price of is (budgeting a bit at the moment and £2.20 for one item seemed a bit steep) so I thought I'd bake some instead and treat us all to them that way.

CHEESY JACKFRUIT PASTIES

Makes 4 large pasties

Takes: 10 minutes for the filling, 15 minutes for the pastry, 25 minutes to bake

Special equipment: None required.

Ingredients:

12oz flour

4oz vegetable margarine

Splash of plant milk/water

1 large onion

1 x 400g tin of jackfruit

1 tbsp of liquid smoke

½ block mature ‘cheese’

Method:

1: Begin by making your pastry. Put the flour in to a bowl, and rub in the margarine until there are no lumps and you have a bread crumb like consistency.

2: Add a splash of milk or water and bring together into a dough. Put into the fridge to chill until you’re ready to use it.

3: To make the filing, peel and chop a large onion into rings or half rings, and fry in a pan with a little olive oil.

4: Open the tin of jack fruit, drain and chop up roughly to help it separate out.

5: Drop the jackfruit into the pan of onions and stir, cooking for several minutes.

6: Grate the cheese and add that to the mixture, along with a tablespoon of liquid smoke. Keep on the heat until the cheese goes gooey and coats the mixture so it looks sticky and inviting.

7: Preheat the oven to 180 to 200 degrees, and grab your pastry from the fridge. Divide it into 4 pieces, and roll out into circles, about 5 inches in diameter. Use a plate to get a perfect shape if you want more presentable pasties.

8: Divide the jackfruit filling between the 4 pastry circles. You may have some left over.

9: Fold the pastry over and use a fork to firmly press down the edges. Put the pasties onto lined baking trays, and cook in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.