Too much bread

yea, it's great. I get the Biona one. It seems like a whole food, which I want to eat more of.

anyone else a fan of pumpernickel?

Is that bread?

I like it with nut butters, and sometimes nut butters and jam.
I like pumpernickel, but I haven't tried making my own. I read someplace that it got its name when Napoleon Bonaparte was given some, and he said "Bon pour Nickel" (roughly meaning "This would be good for my horse Nickel, but I don't much care for it").

I read it got it's name from Old Nick like farts or something.....sulphur?
I read that on Wiki years ago....I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer...:iiam:

eta:
Etymology
The philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states that the word has an origin in the Germanic vernacular where pumpern was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel was a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g. "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. Hence, pumpernickel is described as the "devil's fart", a definition accepted by the Stopes International Language Database,[3] the publisher Random House,[4] and by some English language dictionaries, including the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.[5]The American Heritage Dictionary adds "so named from being hard to digest".A variant of this explanation is also given by the German etymological dictionary "Kluge" that says the word pumpernickel is older than its usage for the particular type of bread, and may have been used as a mocking name for a person of unrefined manners ("farting nick") first. The change of meaning may have been caused by its use as a mocking expression for the (in the eyes of outsiders) unrefined rye bread produced by the Westphalian population.
Pumpernickel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom L.
I love bread and I'm actually trying to cut down to lose weight at the moment as I could easily eat a loaf a day.:D

My family in Ireland used to make fresh soda bread daily.:drool:
I love soda bread! And pretty much any bread if it's homemade. I keep it to a couple of slices a day. I don't think I could ever tire of it, either.

Reactions: ledboots
About 20+ years ago at the Renaissance Faire someone tore off a big hunk of bread from the loaf he was carrying. It was delicious and I've been trying to figure out what it was ever since. It was a white bread with bits of fruit and chocolate in it. It may be too small to see, but my daughter has it in her hands in this pic. This is a 20+ years old picture which was scanned in so it's a bit blurry.

Does anyone know what type of bread it is? They tried to keep everything historically accurate, so it would have been some type of bread eaten by peasants in Europe in the 1600's.

angiemerlin (600 x 535).jpg

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I've been trying to search the Internet but can't come up with any renaissance bread that sounds like that. :(

I just sent a FB friend request to the guy in the photo. I doubt he'll remember me or the bread from so long ago, but you never know. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I just sent a FB friend request to the guy in the photo. I doubt he'll remember me or the bread from so long ago, but you never know. :)
I've received an answer and he isn't sure. He said he had been eating Essene Bread around that time and the description sounded like it, but it doesn't look like the bread in the picture. He said it was probably something served by the guild that day so he wouldn't know what it was. :sigh:

Anyway, it was really nice to get in touch with him after so many years. He's probably one of the nicest persons you could ever hope to meet. (That sentence really sounds grammatically incorrect to me.)

Oat doesn't contain gluten but rye has nearly just as much as wheat but rye cooks differently than wheat so you usually have to adjust your method when using a significant amount of rye.

In any case, I don't think I'd ever get sick of bread and I eat a lot of it.....in a day its not uncommon for me to eat over a pound of bread. My favorite thing to do with bread is dip into soup, pasta sauce, chili, etc.
How is rye different and what should you do differently when using it?

Ha! Me too.

I could never get tired of bread, as long as it's good bread. I love fresh baked whole grain breads. My favorite white bread is sourdough.

Like others, I like to bake my own.
Have you ever made starting from whole grains instead of flour? Like sprouting the grains and then putting the softened ( wet) grains through a food processor?

@bEt, are you trying to create a time warp? If flying snail or Mischief responds it could create a rift in the time-space continuum.

Bread and grains of all kinds are one of those things that need to be eaten in moderation.

• Haha
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
@bEt, are you trying to create a time warp? If flying snail or Mischief responds it could create a rift in the time-space continuum.

Bread and grains of all kinds are one of those things that need to be eaten in moderation.
With a few exceptions, I think most people consider it better to start a new thread than revive an old one. Myself, I don't mind reviving a thread so long as its information is still relevant.

Maybe my liking zombies has something to do with it.... "Board Of The Undead Threads"... hmmmmmm.... more likely "Bored By The Undead Threads".

• Haha
With a few exceptions, I think most people consider it better to start a new thread than revive an old one. Myself, I don't mind reviving a thread so long as its information is still relevant.

Maybe my liking zombies has something to do with it.... "Board Of The Undead Threads"... hmmmmmm.... more likely "Bored By The Undead Threads".
I actually like reviving an old thread. Especially if they were pretty good back when. But this one was asleep for 7 years. I'm actually surprised bEt found it. I know when I go to post something new VF will steer me to similar threads. But bEt wasn't posting sometime new. she was responding to comments made 7 years ago. So she must have been reading our old threads. Which actually sort of warms my heart. That someone is reading this stuff from way back.

It also freaks me out that you are in this old thread. As well as some other names I recognized.

How is rye different and what should you do differently when using it?
I recently made a dark rye and know just what they mean by it acts differently! Reg wheat flour doesn't take that much to pull from the sides and come together in a non sticky ball, but rye feels very sticky, and has to rest to really come together. I used way more flour than the recipe, but it came out fine

• Informative
Reactions: bEt