Too much bread

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
During earlier times when there was less variety in the diet, bread was very popular. How much bread can you eat before you'd get sick of it?

Oh, I adore bread, and so did my cat, haha, she would stalk me around the house if I had any. I probably could happily have (good) at every meal every if I had limited options. I'm not eating it these days but I'm looking forward to making a soaked soda bread in a month or 2.

Reactions: KLS52
I can eat a medium amount of it. Assuming it's quality bread, not the stuff that passes for bread around here.

Last edited:
I wish people wouldn't refer to food as '****'.

I know someone who seems to thing all sliced bread is '****'......personally I could eat a whole loaf of Warburtons, or Braces bread, with some Vitalite, for a meal.

Reactions: Tom L.
I like bread and eat quite a bit of it... four slices of commercially-baked bread in one meal is not at all unusual for me. (I sometimes think I'm some sort of anti-Atkins...)

I bake my own in the colder months- usually four loaves at once, and I freeze two of them, so that I'm not constantly baking. I used to use half whole wheat flour and half either rolled oats or rolled rye. These days I make a simple salt-free bread: whole wheat flour, sometimes white flour mixed in, water, yeast, a bit of sugar (when I'm getting the yeast going in some warm water before I mix it with the flour), and some sort of fat to grease the breadpans. That's it.

I eventually found that too much oats or rye in the bread made it too crumbly, since those grains have little or no gluten, which is what gives bread its elastic, bready texture. I'd like to use oil to grease the pans but a full-fat margarine is evidently necessary to keep the bread from sticking in the pan. I think the unhealthiest part of my bread is the margarine I like to slather on it when it's hot out of the oven. I tend to avoid margarines with hydrogenated oils ("trans" fats), and often use a reduced fat margarine, but any margarine in appreciable quantity is going to send the calories skyrocketing. The nice thing about my bread is that it's quite tasty dry if I lightly toast it. Sometimes I experiment with other "toppings", like spicy salsa.

In the warmer weather, I also tend to favor a very simple oat muesli; my diet isn't quite so bread-centric then.

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt and Andy_T
I haven't had cinnamon raisin bread in years because it all contains milk. I should look into making my own.

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
I eventually found that too much oats or rye in the bread made it too crumbly, since those grains have little or no gluten, which is what gives bread its elastic, bready texture.
Oat doesn't contain gluten but rye has nearly just as much as wheat but rye cooks differently than wheat so you usually have to adjust your method when using a significant amount of rye.

In any case, I don't think I'd ever get sick of bread and I eat a lot of it.....in a day its not uncommon for me to eat over a pound of bread. My favorite thing to do with bread is dip into soup, pasta sauce, chili, etc.

• Informative
I haven't had cinnamon raisin bread in years because it all contains milk. I should look into making my own.
Safeway's (available at Vons and related stores) Cinnamon raisin English muffins don't contain dairy, I imagine their cinnamon raisin bread doesn't as well. And they are only $1 a pack when you buy 2.

(I sometimes think I'm some sort of anti-Atkins...)

Ha! Me too.

I could never get tired of bread, as long as it's good bread. I love fresh baked whole grain breads. My favorite white bread is sourdough.

Like others, I like to bake my own.

• Friendly
I love bread and I'm actually trying to cut down to lose weight at the moment as I could easily eat a loaf a day.:D

My family in Ireland used to make fresh soda bread daily.:drool:

Absolutely love Burgen bread! Especially the sunflower seed type mmmm! Probably like it too much as I'm getting pretty doughy myself haha :D

Reactions: KLS52
That was one of the harder things for us in moving away from Germany (to Asia) - to do without good full grain bread.

That was one of the harder things for us in moving away from Germany (to Asia) - to do without good full grain bread.

I remember that I didn't like the dark rye bread when I was in Germany as it was so chewy.:D