Too much bread

I actually like reviving an old thread. Especially if they were pretty good back when. But this one was asleep for 7 years. I'm actually surprised bEt found it. I know when I go to post something new VF will steer me to similar threads. But bEt wasn't posting sometime new. she was responding to comments made 7 years ago. So she must have been reading our old threads. Which actually sort of warms my heart. That someone is reading this stuff from way back.

It also freaks me out that you are in this old thread. As well as some other names I recognized.
🪦 I found an appropriate smiley for a very old thread: a headstone! (Thanks, @Indian Summer !)

I see some names I haven't seen for quite some time, such as @Cerebellion and @Blobbenstein . I remember Blobbenstein had some health issues; I hope he's doing better.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
@bEt, are you trying to create a time warp? If flying snail or Mischief responds it could create a rift in the time-space continuum.

Bread and grains of all kinds are one of those things that need to be eaten in moderation.
OK. Thank you for the heads up.

YB 6
I actually like reviving an old thread. Especially if they were pretty good back when. But this one was asleep for 7 years. I'm actually surprised bEt found it. I know when I go to post something new VF will steer me to similar threads. But bEt wasn't posting sometime new. she was responding to comments made 7 years ago. So she must have been reading our old threads. Which actually sort of warms my heart. That someone is reading this stuff from way back.

It also freaks me out that you are in this old thread. As well as some other names I recognized.
I used search to find existing conversations about bread. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread if one was already here.

Reactions: KLS52
Th
I recently made a dark rye and know just what they mean by it acts differently! Reg wheat flour doesn't take that much to pull from the sides and come together in a non sticky ball, but rye feels very sticky, and has to rest to really come together. I used way more flour than the recipe, but it came out fine
Thank you, Silva. I haven't used rye much. It sounds like you have enviable skill with kitchen stuff, all from scratch. I love that stuff! But I'm so slow takes me forever for me to cook anything, at least anything anyone else can stomach! ;)

Reactions: KLS52
YB 6

I used search to find existing conversations about bread. I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread if one was already here.
You’re fine. No worries. Personally I like reviving old threads over starting new ones. 😊

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I am a huge fan of bread! I probably eat too much but I do try to eat whole grain varieties.
I did great for years with whole grain/wheat but last year I said the heck with this and went back to white lol. I can’t find good whole grain rolls or bread like artisan/tuscan/ciabatta. And making my own hasn’t been successful. They always come out too dense and the texture nothing like the white variety.

I did great for years with whole grain/wheat but last year I said the heck with this and went back to white lol. I can’t find good whole grain rolls or bread like artisan/tuscan/ciabatta. And making my own hasn’t been successful. They always come out too dense and the texture nothing like the white variety.
I think you need to find a bakery. The little bakeries have been closing up regularly. And I imagine covid has been tough on them too. The only little bakery left in my area has a stall at one of the farmer markets. I don't go there very often but when I do I buy something and freeze it.

many upscale grocery stores have an in-store bakery. Stores like Trader Joe's don't have an in-store bakery but get fresh deliveries daily. And some supermarkets have specialty bread in the freezer section.

For sandwiches I rely on Dave's or Ezekials. They are expensive but sometimes on sale. When I'm at a market I buy a baguette and cut it up and freeze it.

My guilty pleasure is bagels but around here its not hard to find a good bagel. My local market had the best. I'll buy 6 at a time, slice and freeze them. I buy whole wheat and then add TJs Everything But The Bagel spice The only problem is that I have to eat them almost every day or the cream cheese goes bad. So I'll only do bagels once in a while. Which is probably a good thing anyway.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I love bread - when I was a kid I used to sneak slices of Wonder Bread, eat the crusts off and then mash the rest into a ball and eat it.

As an adult I would buy fresh loaves of bread, unsliced, and eat the center out of it in huge handfuls.

So you can imagine how much easier it was for me to become a Starchivore vegan once I heard Dr McDougall speaking....

I do stick to sprouted whole grain breads these days, for the most part, and we do occassionally have whole grain bagels and about once a month or so a white baguette with garlic.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

View attachment 26526

This is the bread that I usually buy when I can afford it. It's artisan, organic and made with either semi wholemeal or white flour which is locally grown.
That’s the kind of bread I’m talking about. 😍 I don’t have a local bakery. The bakeries in the supermarkets are hit or miss. Big y makes really good bagels but I haven’t had anything whole wheat/grain that is good.

UK Supermarkets that sell vegan bread:

Good article. Highly recommended to any new vegan.
I remember as a new vegan really struggling with hamburger buns.

I mostly get Dave's or Ezekiel's now but sometime get Orowheat. It wasn't on the list - maybe its not sold in the UK.

Also no mention of Non-vegan Vitamin D in some of the fortified breads. that is another thing I struggled with.

Reactions: Emma JC
I love bread. I am lucky enough to have several good bakeries within a couple of blocks. One uses a real sourdough. It is pricey for a loaf ($6), but well worth it. Their sesame semolina is my favorite. Their Hazelnut Fig is my favorite sweet bread. Toasted with some plant based butter, and jam. That makes a great breakfast.

An entire pound of whole-wheat bread only has about 1300 calories: Calories in 16 oz of Whole Wheat Bread and Nutrition Facts . I imagine that it could be healthy to eat whole-grain bread all day, as long as you limited your intake of higher-calorie-density foods (butter, nuts), and as long as you included some legumes and green vegetables.