Tofu v Seitan

Right now, they luckily do not yet demand visas for European visitors, nor do they ask to check social media before granting them.

In that case, I guess your reservation would be warranted, with my
lemmings brexit.jpg
and all :p

You can add it to your To do Recipes KL. :) Looking forward to reading your feedback. :D
Somehow I get the feeling you are mocking me...you know me all too well...

😂

Went to the store this morning to get some Seitan. They didn't have many choices. And nothing plain. I got the "Traditional Seitan" from Sweet Earth. It is sliced like cold cuts so I made a sandwich out of it for lunch.
Pretty good but I'm not going to make this a staple.

I'll see what they have at Trader Joe's next time I go there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
I love tofu, especially scrambled or marinated. I honestly don't believe I've ever purchased seitan. I do think that one of the very first things I tried when I went pescatarian 30 yrs ago was a 'mock chicken salad' that I think may have been made with seitan. I don't eat much processed food anymore, so I don't reach for the seitan at the store... But I'd be willing to try it =)

You can add it to your To do Recipes KL. :) Looking forward to reading your feedback. :D
I remember making that! It was one of my firsts.
I prefer tofu, love tofu. My son whos still omnivore requests it often, shaken in seasoned cornstarch and lightly fried. I marinate it in some Braggs first and end up eating half of it from the bowl. Nothing better than homemade though
Seitan is cheap. I was on a real seitan kick trying different things. Haven't made it in a while now
I do prefer Butler soy curls. They're just too freakin' easy, and when I found how much cheaper a 12 pound box directly from Butler

I tried soy curls once and didn’t like them. I was surprised. Maybe I should try again.
DO you remember how you prepared them? I like them the more I use them. Now I either rehydrate in warm water for like 20 minutes, squeeze out, and saute with seasonings, and often a gravy or sauce.
Or, just throw them in the instant pot with stuff
I've made jerky a few times, too easy to eat! Still playing with flavors. If you do without any oil they get crispy, add oil and they're chewy
Rehydrate, squeeze out, mix in hot sauce with some oil and bake (or even pan saute) till kinda dried and they're my favorite buffalo things with a soy yogurt cucumber dip

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Here is another favourite recipe that @PTree15 has posted on VV, which contains wheat gluten but requires no simmering.👍 She is far more of an expert on how to make chickpea cutlets than I am.;) Perhaps when she pops in, she'll give us some feedback.:innocent:

I love these chickpea cutlets. I think the trick is not to knead the dough too much. I fry them in a bit of vegetable oil almost to the point of charring. For leftovers, they make an excellent sandwich. I add cranberry sauce, stuffing and vegan mayo to it. Delicious.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
Hahahahaha...look what I just saw on Facebook!
View attachment 1266

That looks suspiciously like my circumstances, I try holding on to hope that I would use many of the recipes.

I have tried tofu, though surely not in all the different ways it can be used. I have had seitan in something at some time. But I am not so impressed to keep having either still at all frequently. I really use beans, or else peas or lentils, or hummus a whole lot.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
That looks suspiciously like my circumstances, I try holding on to hope that I would use many of the recipes.

I have tried tofu, though surely not in all the different ways it can be used. I have had seitan in something at some time. But I am not so impressed to keep having either still at all frequently. I really use beans, or else peas or lentils, or hummus a whole lot.

I would suggest that you keep trying. :D

Here is another favourite recipe that @PTree15 has posted on VV, which contains wheat gluten but requires no simmering.👍 She is far more of an expert on how to make chickpea cutlets than I am.;) Perhaps when she pops in, she'll give us some feedback.:innocent:

I used to make those a lot, but never liked them fried. I would coat the cutlets in flour and first sear on both sides in a little oil, but then would add no chik;n broth to halfway cover, flip when golden add a bit more broth, and cook till absorbed and golden brown. They would have a breading just like cutlets would, and be really moist and tender

Reactions: PTree15