Tofu v Seitan

I've never seen soya curls in any of the shops in the US. Seitan is very easy to make and is so tasty.

I have bought tempeh once but it was quite pricey. However, I did like it. :p

Butler is the brand name for the soy curls.

1573846428834.png

This is the tempeh we like.

Tempeh_Strips_CAN_Render2.png

Emma JC

Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
I've often wondered why veg*ans seem to buy more tofu compared to seitan. The latter is very easy to make and it just takes a bit of practise to get it right. :p
Part of that might have to do with seitan not being a whole food, it is processed white flour. Or as it could be said, 'processed processed flour' or double processed flour.

That being said, I am a major seitan fiend. I am not exaggerating when I say my seitan Steak is the best on earth! ;)

Part of that might have to do with seitan not being a whole food, it is processed white flour. Or as it could be said, 'processed processed flour' or double processed flour.

That being said, I am a major seitan fiend. I am not exaggerating when I say my seitan Steak is the best on earth! ;)
Then you need to share the recipe!

Oooh, definitely team seitan here although I do quite like tofu too. However I've only ever eaten Seitan from Temple of Seitan & Wagamama - really need to give making some myself a go!

Anyone got any tried & tested favourite recipes? :)

Reactions: Lou and Andy_T
Oooh, definitely team seitan here although I do quite like tofu too. However I've only ever eaten Seitan from Temple of Seitan & Wagamama - really need to give making some myself a go!

We do have quite a few recipes on VV in the seitan thread. :) I use a basic recipe that I found online which that has inspired me over the years.:D

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

That’s a bit like saying „I am not sure about cars. Many people say they suck but I find them actually quite nice. Have only ridden in cars from Rolls Royce and Bentley so far, however. Might have to try some more..“ :p

Reactions: Lou
That said - I love them all, equally.

Tofu - Vegan Ma-Po tofu (Spicy Chinese style) might be my favourite dish in the world.
Tofu is easy to buy, somehow easy to prepare (my wife is from Taiwan, so typically she takes over that task) and I find it delicious. Having said that, I also have encountered horribly bland tofu dishes in my life and can understand that people who only have tried those, are not big fans.

However, SMOKED tofu is something I consider awesome, as it cures the blandness problem and is a delicious alternative to cold cuts, right out of the package...

Seitan - I like it but have so far not tried to make it myself. Really have to try that out some time.

Tempeh - as well delicious, though I find just cutting and roasting tempeh you can also end up with bland results. I typically simmer it with soy sauce and miso for a stronger taste. Also makes a great sandwich filling.

Soy curls - I typically buy those in Asian shops and let them marinate in water with soy sauce before adding them to dishes.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Is that a restaurant or a brand ? :)

I like both. I agree seitan is more filling. I think it's definitely better as steaks or roasts, I have made my own and bought it in the store.

I probably eat more tofu because it's cheap and simple. Plus my local tofu shop is so good and so fresh, I can eat cubes of their firm or extra firm tofu plain and cold.

I'm one of those people who loves variety, its difficult for me to always eat the same thing. Of course I have favorites and preferences but I will eat seitan or tofu based on my mood or what's available.

please tell!

This is the basic seitan recipe that has inspired me. However, I have tweaked and experimented it over the years and now have my perfect basic 'white' seitan recipe.

• 2 cups vital wheat gluten I use 1 1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup of chickpea flour
  • 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder I omit the garlic for onion powder and use 3 tsp.
  • 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided I use water and a spoon of olive oil and add a stock cube for the broth.
  • 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce I omit this.
  • 1/2 small onion, diced I omit this
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed I omit this

I also add 1/2 tsp of Lo salt. 1 tbs olive oil, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/8 tsp mace, 1/2 tsp lemon pepper, 1-1/2 tsp seasoning (Ms Dash or Aldi)
I also may add some liquid smoke depending on my mood.

I make a broth using a low salt stock cube, 4 leaves of fresh bay leaves, 1 chopped carrot, 1 onion with a couple of cloves, a sprinkle of nutmeg,
1 tbs olive oil, 1/2 mixed herbs, a few celery leaves or some celery salt, a few spoons of soya sauce or Braggs aminos.

When adding the stock or water to the wheat gluten, add it gently whilst stirring until their is no more visible powder. It's always better to add more liquid then too much. If that happens, just add more wheat gluten. Don't be worried by the strange, spongy consistency, this is normal. Also, don't be worried to have messy hands and fingers ! o_O

I knead the seitan for approx. 4 minutes ( the longer you knead the chewier the texture) and leave it to rest for 10-15 mins. I cut it into 4 and make an oval/sausage like shape and plunge the pieces into the boiling stock/broth. It is important to reduce the heat and let the seitan simmer gently for approx. 30 -35 mins. I then leave it
to cool completely in the stock before placing the pieces into an airtight container. I also either freeze or store the stock to make either gravy, sauces or soups as it is delicious. Leave the seitan to rest for 24 hours before freezing.
I also thinly slice one piece of seitan and freeze them in a ziplock bag. Handy for making sandwiches and salads. Great if you have a last minute guest and need to make a salad or a huge sandwich.;:)

I also freeze another piece (either in chunks or whole) and will use it for making curries, stir fries, goulash,cottage pie and chili. I just defrost it in
the microwave or leave it on the counter in summer until it's soft enough to cut.

I have also experimented by leaving the the uncooked dough in the fridge for 24 hrs and it came out perfectly well. I'm still trying to come up with the pros of this method. o_O

I have never experimented the baking method due of the high cost of electricity. I believe that some of our members have used this method successfully and may give their feed back. 👍

Once you have mastered the basic recipe, you can play around with the ingredients and add different spices and herbes. I sometimes add some chickpea puree to the wheat gluten. Some people add pureed beans and tofu to obtain a different texture and taste.

To make Lincolnshire style sausages, I add 1 - 1/2 tsp ground sage, nutmeg, ground black pepper and extra mace. I shape the dough into 8 sausages and either use the steaming method or the above simmering method. The main difference is the steaming method gives a slightly
firmer and better shape. However, the simmering method give a far moisture texture to the end product.

As I have previously stated this is my favourite method for basic white seitan( I use other seasoning and ingredients to make 'dark seitan' and you can play around with whatever spice or seasoning you prefer.:)

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-perfect-seitan/ Some useful tips. 👍

Today's Seitan.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Chik'n seitan 1.jpg

A slice of white seitan

seitan stir fry 1.jpg

Seitan stir fry with yellow & green flat beans, kale in a spicy sauce served with forbidden (black) rice.

Nectarine & seitan salad.jpg

Nectarine, quinoa & seitan salad.

Goulash with herb dumplings 2.jpg

Seitan & root vegetable goulash with herb dumplings. This is my favourite comfort food during the cold winter months.

seitan curry.jpg

Seitan and sweet potato (or pumpkin) Madras style curry served with brown rice and bananas. This is my monthly (or sometimes weekly) favourite dish.

Anyone make seitan in a slow cooker? Is it possible?

ETA: that would be instead of simmering in broth on the stove...doing it in the slow cooker/crockpot instead. 😊

Anyone make seitan in a slow cooker? Is it possible?

ETA: that would be instead of simmering in broth on the stove...doing it in the slow cooker/crockpot instead. 😊

I would say yes because you can cook virtually anything in a slow cooker/crockpot unless it needs to boil on a high heat.

Reactions: KLS52