Tofu v Seitan

Picture of my latest shreddy, chiky seitan - it's just so much fun to make!

Attachments

• shreddedseitan.jpg
    shreddedseitan.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Very cool! Do you eat it as is or use it in different recipes?
I chopped some and added vegan mayo, celery, apple shreds and stuffed a pita.
Last night I carmelized some onion, removed from pot then added some orzo and well covered with water to cook. I decided to make everything in it's starchy water (would have made gravy from other starch..,,.so why not?) added no chik;n broth, rosemary, garlic and when It was nearly done added seitan shreds and fresh spinach and covered. Added onions at end.

I don't use recipe for seitan anymore. Blended firm tofu with enough water and Better than Boullion no chik'n (about a tblps) to make a thick sauce. Poured in mixing bowl, added lots of poultry style seasonings, onion powder, and a glob of vegan mayo. Mixed in gluten to the point of being a sticky dough, not too wet, not to dry. I did use a Kitchen aide mixer with a dough hook for 7 min, BUT, appartently you can get the same result by hand kneading then letting rest overnight covered. I wrapped in foil and used the Instant Pot to cook on the rack over water for 2 hours high pressure. When it was cooled enough to handle I tore it up!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I really like tofu. Tempeh is fantastic too. I like maple bacon flavored tempeh. lol😻
I can't tolerate gluten so I stay away from seitan.👿

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I find this absolutely fascinating. I’ve watched the entire video twice. I’m definitely going to make the Seitan by the washing the flour method. I hope I can get the high gluten flour at my grocery pick up tomorrow.

I find this absolutely fascinating. I’ve watched the entire video twice. I’m definitely going to make the Seitan by the washing the flour method. I hope I can get the high gluten flour at my grocery pick up tomorrow.

I totally want to try this, too. It's quite a project, but you get a lot out of it.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I totally want to try this, too. It's quite a project, but you get a lot out of it.
You did? I sure didn't! I did use a low protein flour--you should have like 12% or better

I've been meaning to try it again. I've done it 2 or 3 times and got such a small amount, and didn't think it was better than vwg
As for that picture--it's breaded and fryed--of course it's good! 🤗l
I don't fry anything and am craving fried foods! I don't know what to get vegan around here! Maybe I should bite it and fry something

My only tip is to use a nylon nut milk bag for the dough ball. Put it in the bag and let it rest in fridge overnight and wash in the bag

Reactions: PTree15
Watched the whole video and now really really want to do it just like that!

When she flipped the drumsticks 😲

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
You did? I sure didn't! I did use a low protein flour--you should have like 12% or better

I've been meaning to try it again. I've done it 2 or 3 times and got such a small amount, and didn't think it was better than vwg
As for that picture--it's breaded and fryed--of course it's good! 🤗l
I don't fry anything and am craving fried foods! I don't know what to get vegan around here! Maybe I should bite it and fry something

My only tip is to use a nylon nut milk bag for the dough ball. Put it in the bag and let it rest in fridge overnight and wash in the bag
No, haven't tried it, but judging by what the video showed, there were quite a few drumsticks.

I don’t have the patience to do the drumsticks but they look amazing! I want to start easy and do the seitan first. I put the flour in my cart. I switched my pick up day to Thursday instead of tomorrow. I hope I get it.

I don’t have the patience to do the drumsticks but they look amazing! I want to start easy and do the seitan first. I put the flour in my cart. I switched my pick up day to Thursday instead of tomorrow. I hope I get it.
What kind of flour?

I may just use Aldi flour again. It's low protein, but no worse than Gold Medal--I've done it with both. Aldi is like $1.15 for 5 lbs
@KLS52 --remember to save the first wash water! I've only used it as a gravy thickener, but it has tons of uses. I was surprised she didn't use it as the breading binder!

Reactions: KLS52
I may just use Aldi flour again. It's low protein, but no worse than Gold Medal--I've done it with both. Aldi is like $1.15 for 5 lbs
@KLS52 --remember to save the first wash water! I've only used it as a gravy thickener, but it has tons of uses. I was surprised she didn't use it as the breading binder!
She posted on Facebook and said regular flour is fine but that she used bread flour. If I can’t get it I’ll do it with regular. I have two bags in the pantry.

I totally want those drumsticks, but I should probably do the same and just try making the seitan first to see how it comes out. :D The Chinese place where I used to get the vegan drumsticks has closed. They had an extensive vegan menu, but I guess the pandemic did them in. I think they were having issues beforehand, though, because they got cited for some health violations a little over a year ago.

• Sad
  • Friendly
Reactions: 1956 and KLS52
She posted on Facebook and said regular flour is fine but that she used bread flour. If I can’t get it I’ll do it with regular. I have two bags in the pantry.
I have tons of regular flour, so I think I will try it with that first.

Reactions: KLS52
The only part I see giving me a problem is when she breaks up the dough and blends it with the seasonings. I don’t see that step working for me. It looks like she was using some kind of magic bullet or ninja appliance...I have a ninja...but trying to blend something of dough consistency with no additional liquid never works for me. But I don’t see how else I can flavor the seitan. 🤔