Tofu v Seitan

The only part I see giving me a problem is when she breaks up the dough and blends it with the seasonings. I don’t see that step working for me. It looks like she was using some kind of magic bullet or ninja appliance...I have a ninja...but trying to blend something of dough consistency with no additional liquid never works for me. But I don’t see how else I can flavor the seitan. 🤔
I was thinking of using the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid standing mixer, otherwise maybe try using my hands, but that might bother my wrists, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
I am So impressed with you guys making seitan... I did buy some Vital Wheat Gluten last year but, I still haven’t had the courage to try and make it... My kitchen is Really small with little counter space so I don’t get very creative...

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I am So impressed with you guys making seitan... I did buy some Vital Wheat Gluten last year but, I still haven’t had the courage to try and make it... My kitchen is Really small with little counter space so I don’t get very creative...
You should go for it. There a lots of recipes, so you just have to find the one that suits your preferences for texture and flavoring. Some are chewier than others, etc., and there are lots of tips on flavoring it. I use this recipe from the Edgy Veg for buffalo nuggets and just plain ol' grilled seitan. It uses tahini for some of the flavoring, which I think makes a big difference. I can eat it plain right out of the oven. :) The texture is perfect for me. Not too chewy, but not too spongy, and the flavor is wonderful. It makes great tacos if you chop it up in a food processor, for example. It's very versatile.

Reactions: KLS52 and 1956
You should go for it. There a lots of recipes, so you just have to find the one that suits your preferences for texture and flavoring. Some are chewier than others, etc., and there are lots of tips on flavoring it. I use this recipe from the Edgy Veg for buffalo nuggets and just plain ol' grilled seitan. It uses tahini for some of the flavoring, which I think makes a big difference. I can eat it plain right out of the oven. :) The texture is perfect for me. Not too chewy, but not too spongy, and the flavor is wonderful. It makes great tacos if you chop it up in a food processor, for example. It's very versatile.

Do you actually cook the seitan in stock/broth when using the oven ?

Ok folks, particularly @KLS52 & @PTree15 --
I did the wash the flour method, using 6 cups cheap flour, resulting in about 1.5 cups gluten--that then someone seemed to expand after resting :shrug:
I pulverized an imitation beef cube and just kneaded it in, then let rest a couple hours, knotted in two good sized portions, then pan seared in some oil all over, simmered in no beef stock and garlic for an hour. Now I have potatoes cooking to mash and will make gravy with the stock and the saved starch. The saved starch for gravy is my favorite thing about wash the flour (WTF).
Honestly, it's really good. The seasoning is perfect, the texture is what you'd say melts in your mouth, and it pulls apart like a brisket would
The process of washing isn't hard, and I suppose I could have chosen an easier cooking method, but the fry-simmer-fry seems to be a favorite with the wtf people! It definitely has a whole different taste and texture, I'd say far closer to meat
Even though I used about 3 big mixing bowls of water, there was a lot more used in rinsing and washing up!
I'll know better when it's actually ready to be served, but I really like vwg!

Way to go, @silva ! I had a busy weekend with a socially distanced visit from my sister and friend and then some unexpected (but very welcome) freelance work. I hope to try this on Friday or Saturday. I will update with results if I do. If these come out anything like the vegan drumsticks at the now-closed China Pan, I will be one happy camper. They were my favorite thing to order there. They were so good, I often didn't even bother with the dipping sauce.

Reactions: 1956 and KLS52
Wow that’s great! @silva
I hope I find the ambition to do it soon.
Yeah you do! This is my second or third try, and by far the best! I almost feel like I shouldn't have found out- kinda like how I like Beyond Sausages :joy: :yum.
It's so very different from vwg. It reminds me of corned beef in the fine grain, and when you saute it first in oil, the starch left behind acts like seared fat. I will admit, those are the very things in my memory I wanted again
I can see doing this like once a month-maybe next time trying a higher protein flour
I saved the first washing of starch and used to thicken the gravy, which was amazing.
I need a better way to simmer it for that long without having to monitor the simmer--probably a slow cooker, which my son has

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Way to go, @silva ! I had a busy weekend with a socially distanced visit from my sister and friend and then some unexpected (but very welcome) freelance work. I hope to try this on Friday or Saturday. I will update with results if I do. If these come out anything like the vegan drumsticks at the now-closed China Pan, I will be one happy camper. They were my favorite thing to order there. They were so good, I often didn't even bother with the dipping sauce.
I wonder if it was the fry-simmer-fry method i liked so much? The other time I think I just steamed, and didn't care for it as much
There is a Chinese restaurant not too far that is the only place I know that serves seitan. I need to get there!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
So I just saw on FB that the WTF method of making seitan is bad for your pipes. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Apparently the starch that washes away can build up and cause clogs. I guess I’m going to have to not put the water down the drain if I ever decide to do it. I was gearing up for it because I have the extra gluten flour. 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: 1956
Just washed 8 cups of Aldi flour, it's now draining.You do discover a lot with each batch. This time I've found the feel of the pieces that still have a lot of starch. the stringy bits that are fully washed are like gum that you've been chewing all day- if you've ever done that. Gum that starts to disintegrate, and gets stringy,falls apart.The bits that hold starch are like fresh chewed gum--strechy, pully, kinda taffy like Silly Putty. You can isolate them and mash them up and they quickly change texture. I didn't fully wash, the water was still a bit milky, but obviously less, like opaque.
I'll update on the cooking and how much I have

So I just saw on FB that the WTF method of making seitan is bad for your pipes. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Apparently the starch that washes away can build up and cause clogs. I guess I’m going to have to not put the water down the drain if I ever decide to do it. I was gearing up for it because I have the extra gluten flour. 🤔
I'm part of a FB seitan appreciation page and there's some dispute over that. I save a bowl, and the rest I rinse down--Actually I left the other side of sink full of dishes to wash, so that's how I washed it down!

@silva can you share how you season your wtf seitan? The FB group says you really need to use the food processor to get the seasonings (or if you’re adding tofu or mashed beans)incorporated sufficiently.

@silva can you share how you season your wtf seitan? The FB group says you really need to use the food processor to get the seasonings (or if you’re adding tofu or mashed beans)incorporated sufficiently.
I didn't, but that is popular, or cutting with a knife or scissors.
I let rest a couple hours till it came together all stretchy and sprinkled with a vegan beef boullion cube I pulverized, and Montreal seasoning and just massaged in, rested a bit more, then stretched really long and kept knotting into two pieces.Then seared in a skillet coated in oil on both sides, then simmered I think an hour, then another sear before serving. It was really fantastic! This time will do Better than Boullion no beef. I've never been happy with vwg as a beef type flavor--always like that mixed with tofu and sage and rosemary flavor

I got about a 2 cup blob out of 8 cups flour :dismay:
Sure, a higher protein would yield more, I'm just not that vested. Maybe see how this turns out

I like both tofu and seitan. But I eat much more tofu. The reason is, wheat (mostly bread) is a major staple of my diet already, and I want my diet to have as much variety as possible.

OK--this will be my next seitan project, it sounds perfect!
Go to 7:10 for the mixed vwg/starch method--

• Informative