Oh yeah, after that time I got hooked on drinking hibiscus tea, both hot and iced. Again my blood pressure plummeted! You should see if you like it if you've never tried- it's got a great fruity taste, and kinda tart. One of the home rememedies for keeping blood pressure in check

Reactions: Val
I just improvised a lentil loaf. It's been a long time since I've made a loaf and don't remember the consistency of pouring into the pan
It was thick, but definitely pourable. I added bulgar wheat to the excess water from cooking the lentils, and 3 tablespoons ground flax. The bulgar wasn't completely cooked when I put it into pan, I don't think. Tasted great!

Reactions: Val
Here's my answer to how thick a lentil loaf should be before putting it in pan- not pourable
I knew better, but I cooked the lentils in broth and didn't want to drain any- thought I used enough bulgar to soak it up, should have used breadcrumbs when I realized it was still pourable.
Morale of story- lentil loaf should be thick enough to have to spoon into pan, not pour

Edit: The glass loaf pan took an hour baking at 375 F. , uncovered for the second half, then it cooled in the oven. Once it was completely cool it was the firmest loaf i ever made!

Last edited:
Is catnip ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET?

I heard/read about that quite some time ago. I was reminded of it again when I was mixing up my "bug spray" (essential oils) & suddenly remembered an can of catnip spray I had purchased long ago (my kitty died four years ago this coming August, so it's older than that... and he never liked it so it's practically a whole can).... I looked for it, then recalled I had brought it to Jerry's. As far as I know he's never used it & it's still in one of the back rooms somewhere. As an aerosol-type spray, that might be better for the porch.... o_O

This part was a little disconcerting:
catnip oils are attractive to some species of felines, ... this product is definitely not recommended in cougar or puma (Felis concolor) country (e.g., the Rocky Mountains)!
That would, uh... yeah, that would certainly suck, alright.... :eek: LMAO

Last edited:
Um, if you disconnect your DVR, it won't record anything or play back what you recorded. Recording stuff off your TV and then playing it back is the entire point of a DVR. :rolleyes:

We started to flush the toilet only when "necessary" and my water and sewer went way down!
I'm still undecided how they say a dishwasher uses less energy than hand washing. Is that assuming you fill the sink for a soak and then run the water the whole time? I do not. My dishwasher is newer, small, and takes at least an hour start to finish. I use it on occasion, but usually wash as I go

Here’s The 8 Best And Worst Sugar Substitutes For Your Health
https://www.simplemost.com/worst-and-best-sugar-subs-your-for-health/

I mentioned I'm gonna lay off the beverage I always get that has sucralose (Splenda).... I was looking up beverages with Stevia, then I saw this: Stevia Side Effects: Nervous System & Psychological :confused:

Was looking at what Kroger had, then Googling info... I think I'm gonna try Izze. Yeah, it's got a hint of sugar, but it's organic cane sugar. I can live with that. I'll buy a single of the mandarin-lime flavor and see how I like it....

mandrian-lime-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Huh. The one in the can was a freebie at a store and it had stevia. I looked them up- the can is called 'fusion '. Those are so darn expensive! And the bottled raspberry watermelon sounds really good!
I guess I'll stick with making lemonade and iced teas
Have you ever had hibiscus iced tea? Or should I say, teasan? Sounds like something you'd like. It's kinda fruity and tart

Huh. The one in the can was a freebie at a store and it had stevia. I looked them up- the can is called 'fusion '. Those are so darn expensive! And the bottled raspberry watermelon sounds really good!
I guess I'll stick with making lemonade and iced teas
Have you ever had hibiscus iced tea? Or should I say, teasan? Sounds like something you'd like. It's kinda fruity and tart
I'm not really a tea fan.... if I were to drink it, it would be strong, unsweetened, unflavored, and on ice.

Jer & I tried the Izze thing tonight... nope. LOL :p

I'm not really a tea fan.... if I were to drink it, it would be strong, unsweetened, unflavored, and on ice.

Oh yeah--unsweetened, and it's got enough flavor on it's own! It's the hibiscus flowers--
images

but not 'flowery' tasting at all, kinda tart and kinda berry. The tea bags I have are hibiscus and rosehips. High in vitamin C and good for keeping blood pressure in check

Have you ever tried roobis or honeybush? Neither is a true tea, but I like them both, either hot or cold.

I used to drink so much rooibos! Then I just stopped. I'm really fickle on tea. Now I'm on green and the hibiscus rosehips
Want to try pu-erh

Any reason not to eat Tofurky Italian sausage just cold? Dam. I got to really like that :oops:

I was just leafing through the Sierra Club mag on the kitchen table, saw an ad for this....

upload_2017-8-26_20-5-13.jpeg I'd like to find some of these! I have a feeling I'll have to break down & order them, though. :rolleyes:

They've got cool stuff! I hope they do well & expand & expand their product line... Right on! :up: Home | If You Care

Last edited: