Vegan Three Ingredient Brownies

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm thinking more along the lines of four since walnuts or pecans are lovely in brownies.

Ingredients:

• 1 box chocolate cake mix (Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Cake is “accidentally” vegan)
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
  • 1 – 2 cups chocolate chips (dairy free)
Directions:

1. Heat your oven to 375. Spray a 9X13 cake pan with cooking spray.
  2. Pour the cake mix into a bowl.
  3. Pour the can of pumpkin on top of the cake mix.
  4. Stir until well combined. Add chocolate chips.
  5. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until the brownies are done. (My oven is older so the 40 minutes worked well for me)

I am going to buy the mix and pumpkin! I had no idea any cake or brownie mixes were vegan! :)

I always thought lots of them were since they are mostly sugar, flour and leavener and they call for adding oil and egg. :think:

But I've never actually looked.

Reactions: FortyTwo
I always thought lots of them were since they are mostly sugar, flour and leavener and they call for adding oil and egg. :think:

You're right as they are listed as the top 2 ingredients on the packet. Homemade ones are much healthier and not really more difficult to make. I have never liked packet mixes for cakes.

Surprisingly, this is true. Aside from some of the really snooty companies. You have to check for things like bacon grease and lard, because they're in there sometimes. :confused:

Usually you can use cake mix with vegan substitutes in just about any way that was possible with the real stuff.

I made these and they are yummy!! Had my omni sister try them and she said they were tasty and moist and no way to tell they are vegan. A success!!

Reactions: sallyomally
I made these and they are yummy!! Had my omni sister try them and she said they were tasty and moist and no way to tell they are vegan. A success!!

They are good, aren't they? Who would've thought? I read somewhere that it's also good using spice cake mix , and was thinking that would be delicious to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas.