Things that do not go together

Apparently some people add salt to their coffee to make it less bitter.
:tired_face: I tried that! Big nope from me.

I've also heard putting a couple lentils with the grounds made it less bitter, so I tried it with a coffee I didn't care for. I think it worked,but I didn't like it anyway

As much as I like salt on some foods, I really dislike tasting it in others. Like regular peanut butter--too salty, I like the just peanuts one
Or baked goods--if the recipe calls for more than a teaspoon baking powder, or soda, I leave out salt

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
You are just trying to think of something discusting? What's wrong with you people? :p
I actually tried this once, because I'm an imbecile. Oatmeal and onion. Yeah... That's sick. Don't do that.
I used to like a little salt on my oatmeal instead of sugar or maple syrup. Sometimes I just wanted a savory breakfast instead of a sweet one, and the flavor of oats by itself is un-assertive enough so that oats can go either way. You were REALLY bold and imaginative to try onion and oats, though! I like both of those, but can't imagine how I would ever like them together. It's funny how that works sometimes.

• Haha
mince pie cereal? yeah, hard pass, even if I weren't vegan.

Traditional mince pies that are served during the Christmas period are utterly delicious. :)They are made of chopped dried fruits (sultanas, currants, raisins mixed peel), spices (cinnamon,nutmeg,mace,ground coriander etc) ,brown sugar, nuts and brandy. Nowadays most brands do a vegan version and omit the suet (animal fat) which is substituted with a vegetable oil.

During the Tudor period mince pies were made with a mixture of the above and meat but the recipe has changed during the centuries.

There is a well renowned Cheddar cheese maker that has a mince pie Cheddar which apparently is delicious.

• Informative
I used to like a little salt on my oatmeal instead of sugar or maple syrup. Sometimes I just wanted a savory breakfast instead of a sweet one, and the flavor of oats by itself is un-assertive enough so that oats can go either way. You were REALLY bold and imaginative to try onion and oats, though! I like both of those, but can't imagine how I would ever like them together. It's funny how that works sometimes.

That's have porridge is served in Scotland; with salt and not sugar. I always add a good pinch of salt to porridge whilst it's cooking.

I'm also not a fan of having anything sweet for breakfast.:)

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
I absolutely cannot do salt in oatmeal. As much as I like sweet, I could never do the instant flavored oatmeal packets because I could taste the salt. They all had salt.
I didn’t go back through this thread but people put salt on melon. Supposedly makes it sweeter but I didn’t like it when I tried it.

I can do sweet anytime of day. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I never had mince pie but I loved my mom’s mince cookies. She made them at Christmas time. 😍

• Friendly
I absolutely cannot do salt in oatmeal. As much as I like sweet, I could never do the instant flavored oatmeal packets because I could taste the salt. They all had salt.
I didn’t go back through this thread but people put salt on melon. Supposedly makes it sweeter but I didn’t like it when I tried it.

I can do sweet anytime of day. 😁
I always add a dash of salt to my oatmeal before cooking. Its says to on the box.

I always add a dash of salt to my oatmeal before cooking. Its says to on the box.
Yes it does. I’m a rebel. 😁 I just don’t like it myself.

Tried salt in my coffee. It made a really noticeable difference in a way I didn't like. Killed the flavor!

• Haha
Reactions: Raven and KLS52
I tried salt in my coffee, didn't really notice the difference. When my boyfriend saw me do it, he tried to stop me.
I'm very picky about coffee, I think most coffee is too bitter.

I never had mince pie but I loved my mom’s mince cookies. She made them at Christmas time. 😍
Lil awkward when an old post gets quoted 😳
Maybe I wouldn't hate mince pie idk
If there's ground meat involved then I wouldn't like it.
I've always liked mince pies! My family always made them during the holidays (with a commercially-prepared piecrust, and a filling made by Nonesuch- it's a solid brick of dehydrated fruits, mostly raisins, along with sugar and lots of spices like cinnamon and cloves). We usually added other stuff like chopped-up apples. It was a long time before I realized that this stuff also had beef- I could never taste it, and I have no idea why it would be made with meat. I had to give them up because of that.
I tried salt in my coffee, didn't really notice the difference. When my boyfriend saw me do it, he tried to stop me.
I'm very picky about coffee, I think most coffee is too bitter.
Funny thing about coffee: I love the aroma, but find the taste to be too bitter. I actually haven't tried it with sweetener and/or some sort of creamer. I've always thought that if I didn't like it black, then I wouldn't like it any other way (unless I added so much other stuff that I wouldn't be able to really taste the coffee flavor anymore). I haven't tried it with sweetener and cinnamon or cloves though. Something tells me I'd like that: I suspect that the flavor of coffee would go well with those.

Reactions: KLS52
I would have sworn I saw mincemeat that didn’t have beef but now I can’t find it. 😠

And Robertsons! Imported from England. Both on Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.