The Weather.

My big hope is that the barricade we have by the side garage door is sufficient and keeps the rain from flooding us. 🙏🏻🤞🏼🙏🏻

Aren't you going to evacuate to your daughter's place? I think that she is more inland. If I rightly remember you're about 20 minutes from the sea?

I've just seen an article on Sky news and apparently they are requesting that residents in Madison should evacuate. That place is just near your town.:worried:

I’m actually six minutes from the beach…3.8 miles. They have voluntary evacuations for those south of Route 1. My neighborhood is not in a flood zone. Even with the lake across the street, the only people who get flooding are those on the far side of it.
My daughter is four miles from me, a little more inland. I think our only water issue will be if the rain breaches the side door to the garage. Husband and son are confident it will hold. Wish I had more of their confidence, aka living in a dream world lol. I can’t wait for them to be able to tell me, told you so. I need them to be right.

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I’m actually six minutes from the beach…3.8 miles. They have voluntary evacuations for those south of Route 1. My neighborhood is not in a flood zone. Even with the lake across the street, the only people who get flooding are those on the far side of it.
My daughter is four miles from me, a little more inland. I think our only water issue will be if the rain breaches the side door to the garage. Husband and son are confident it will hold. Wish I had more of their confidence, aka living in a dream world lol. I can’t wait for them to be able to tell me, told you so. I need them to be right.

I saw the governor of CT on the news who said that some part of the state may be without electricity for 3 weeks.
You're very near to the sea and you are in the hurricane's pathway according to the forecast.
You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be watching the news. I'm also very concerned about all the wildlife as they have nowhere to shelter. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
@KLS52 do you have sandbags? Around here they give away sand before a storm hits.
No…I’ve been battling husband and son because they think I’m being overly dramatic. While that may be my MO, I don’t see why being prepared just in case is so bad. We have a lot at stake.
I did go to the hardware store yesterday to see if I could get a few of these but they were all out. Would have been good for by the door and wall that backs up to the new bathroom.
A3359BB2-7B29-4D94-BE9B-2FEAA520E4CF.jpeg

• Friendly
Reactions: silva and PTree15
I think it’s been downgraded to tropical storm but it won’t help the rain situation. At least I shouldn’t have to worry about the wind. 🤞🏼🙏🏻

I saw the governor of CT on the news who said that some part of the state may be without electricity for 3 weeks.
You're very near to the sea and you are in the hurricane's pathway according to the forecast.
You'll be in my thoughts and I'll be watching the news. I'm also very concerned about all the wildlife as they have nowhere to shelter. :(
Thank you. We have a small generator so while it will still be somewhat inconvenient, at least we can run the refrigerator so I won’t lose my perishables like last time. Although getting gas might be an issue as many of the gas stations ran out as of yesterday. Hopefully they can get deliveries though if the roads are clear.

It’s really just the water issue in the garage and lower level that concerns me. I have already decided that I’m calling a professional as soon as this is over to take care of the problem. Husband is good at many things but not following through on some others. He wants to build something himself but he should have done it when we got water two months ago. This is not something to mess with. I’m doing it with or without his agreement. I’m just hoping it’s not too little too late.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
Same old weather here with heat indexes in the 100's with a chance of rain or storms this evening.
@KLS52 that item serves the same purpose as sandbags. I hope you don't get hit too hard with this!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Thank you. We have a small generator so while it will still be somewhat inconvenient, at least we can run the refrigerator so I won’t lose my perishables like last time. Although getting gas might be an issue as many of the gas stations ran out as of yesterday. Hopefully they can get deliveries though if the roads are clear.

It’s really just the water issue in the garage and lower level that concerns me. I have already decided that I’m calling a professional as soon as this is over to take care of the problem. Husband is good at many things but not following through on some others. He wants to build something himself but he should have done it when we got water two months ago. This is not something to mess with. I’m doing it with or without his agreement. I’m just hoping it’s not too little too late.

This is what comes up for the w forecast for your town :
Hurricane Warning
Connecticut
4 hours ago – National Weather Service
HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT... ...STORM SURGE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT... * LOCATIONS AFFECTED - Clinton - Old Saybrook - Essex * WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST ...

They say that this region hasn't had a hurricane for 30 years and isn't well prepared for this kind of extreme weather.

I hope that the garage and lower level won't get flooded. What can you do to make it flood proof ?
Water can be a problem especially if it gets contaminated. You obviously need it for flushing toilets and as drinking water/cooking etc.

This is what comes up for the w forecast for your town :
Hurricane Warning
Connecticut
4 hours ago – National Weather Service
HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT... ...STORM SURGE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT... * LOCATIONS AFFECTED - Clinton - Old Saybrook - Essex * WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST ...

They say that this region hasn't had a hurricane for 30 years and isn't well prepared for this kind of extreme weather.

I hope that the garage and lower level won't get flooded. What can you do to make it flood proof ?
Water can be a problem especially if it gets contaminated. You obviously need it for flushing toilets and as drinking water/cooking etc.
We should get a bilco door. That will secure it. I will be looking into it next week.

I’m feeling more hopeful. Henri has downgraded to tropical storm and shifted northwest. We are no longer in the direct path. I knew this could happen and feel very lucky. It could still get a little wild but definitely better than what it was.

@KLS52 Thank you! Yes, they keep going back and forth with the predictions for impact, lol. My parents have lost power already, and so has the beach area, according to one of my friends who decided to ride it out. Apparently, it's hitting RI right now. It's been raining heavily here, so flooding is the big issue. I've been checking the basement every half hour or so. So far, the winds have not been too bad, but it's early. I will be really happy if the winds hold off. They are saying the rain is going to hang around for tomorrow, which isn't great, either. We just had some bad flooding a few towns over, so it could be nasty for them if this keeps up.

I hope things are going OK for you, KLS! Stay safe, my friend!

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
@KLS52 Thank you! Yes, they keep going back and forth with the predictions for impact, lol. My parents have lost power already, and so has the beach area, according to one of my friends who decided to ride it out. Apparently, it's hitting RI right now. It's been raining heavily here, so flooding is the big issue. I've been checking the basement every half hour or so. So far, the winds have not been too bad, but it's early. I will be really happy if the winds hold off. They are saying the rain is going to hang around for tomorrow, which isn't great, either. We just had some bad flooding a few towns over, so it could be nasty for them if this keeps up.

Is RI to the east of your place? I think that it's more exposed and that's why they must have lost power over there.

I hope that both you and your house will be safe and not get flooded. I'm still watching this on the news and checking every 30 minutes.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52

Same to you! I hope your parents do ok with it too and that the power doesn’t stay out for days.

Is RI to the east of your place? I think that it's more exposed and that's why they must have lost power over there.

I hope that both you and your house will be safe and not get flooded. I'm still watching this on the news and checking every 30 minutes.
Thank you, shyvas. :) Yes, RI is east, and they are getting hit the hardest at the moment. My mom said the winds are brutal.
I've got the TV on with our local news, so they are doing their best to keep us up to date. So far, it's just a lot of rain.

Same to you! I hope your parents do ok with it too and that the power doesn’t stay out for days.
Thank you, me, too! They have well water, so they have jugs of water to flush and all. I'm hoping they can get the power on in the next few days. My mom is worried about losing all the food in the fridge. The freezer might be OK because we shoved three bags of ice in it yesterday, so I hope that holds for a couple of days.

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you, me, too! They have well water, so they have jugs of water to flush and all. I'm hoping they can get the power on in the next few days. My mom is worried about losing all the food in the fridge. The freezer might be OK because we shoved three bags of ice in it yesterday, so I hope that holds for a couple of days.
That was smart to put ice. I froze some bottled water. We lost everything in our refrigerator last year. That was painful. It’s why we got the generator. We used some of the house remodel funds from when we sold our old house. They are expensive so I understand not everyone can run out and get one. We were fortunate.

Reactions: PTree15
That was smart to put ice. I froze some bottled water. We lost everything in our refrigerator last year. That was painful. It’s why we got the generator. We used some of the house remodel funds from when we sold our old house. They are expensive so I understand not everyone can run out and get one. We were fortunate.
That's great! I so want a generator just to run the fridge and my electronics. I have to work tonight, so I'm really hoping the power stays on. I do have a portable charger for the phone, which I can use as a hot spot if the internet goes out, but I haven't been able to scrape up enough money for a generator. I'm going to make it a priority, though. I think it's essential if we're going to keep having this wacky weather.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Thank you, shyvas. :) Yes, RI is east, and they are getting hit the hardest at the moment. My mom said the winds are brutal.
I've got the TV on with our local news, so they are doing their best to keep us up to date. So far, it's just a lot of rain.

I've just seen RI on the news (live) and the storm has hit land and it does look scary.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52