The Voter/Election Thread

Last edited:
In California, former San Francisco mayor and current Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, has been elected governor. It used to be that governors in California would be followed by a governor of a different party. Democratic, Republican, Democratic, Republican, etc. Not anymore. After 8 years of Democratic governor Jerry Brown, he’ll be followed by another Democrat.

All the precincts have not yet reported, but my own Representative, Democrat Ted Lieu, who’s been a thorn in Donald Trump’s side for the past two years, has been easily re-elected. My district is solidly Democratic, so no surprise there. Congratulations, Ted!

The daylight saving time propsition has overwhelmingly passed. Meh, nothing will happen. It’s just a symbolic gesture saying Californians are tired of changing their clocks twice a year. I’d be surprised if Congress does anything about it. I believe any change in this can only happen at the federal level.

Florida results are very disappointing but it was so CLOSE!! There is hope. And there is good news elsewhere! I think I will get involved in my local Democratic party to fight for victory in 2020!

Reactions: KLS52 and Andy_T
It’s being pointed out that even if the marquee races at the top of the ballot weren’t won by Democrats, Democrats running in down-ballot races did better. So it’s not a total washout. And at least the Democrats won back the House. Trump may have the White House and Senate, but he can’t do anything without a House majority, and that’s where the new Democratic majority (including the new House Speaker, maybe Nancy Pelosi, maybe someone else) come in.

The Midterm Elections Have Made History With These Notable Firsts -- NPR Choice page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voters Relax Marijuana Laws In 3 More States: Michigan, Utah, Missouri -- NPR Choice page

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voters Approve Major Changes To Redistricting And Other Voting Laws -- NPR Choice page

Last edited:
Reactions: Chryssie
When I was reading some of the results on Facebook, in different states, people were commenting that certain Democrats that won were not really Democrats...that they always voted with the Republicans. That was discouraging. I’ll see if I can find where I saw it.

Other than Sherrod Brown keeping his senate seat Ohio was extremely disappointing- and again shocking! Being just outside of Cleveland it's like a whole different state than the rest of red *** Ohio. :mad:

Other than Sherrod Brown keeping his senate seat Ohio was extremely disappointing- and again shocking! Being just outside of Cleveland it's like a whole different state than the rest of red *** Ohio. :mad:

I think people are surprised by this, but it’s not unusual for mainly conservative states to have one or more pockets of liberalism; Texas has liberal Austin, for example, and from what I’ve read, Kansas has liberal Lawrence. Conversely, blue states like California will have conservative areas. Rural areas tend to be more conservative than the cities, some college towns can often be more liberal than the rest of the state. Liberal areas of a state are how liberals can survive living in a red state, because they’re living amongst like-minded people and are represented by moderate to liberal politicians (assuming their voting district hasn’t been gerrymandered by Republicans). Living there, it’s certainly easy to forget how conservative other parts of your state can be.

Democrat Cisneros wins OC's 39th district

I NEVER thought I’d see this happen. Orange County was once Reagan Country, reliably Republican as long as I can remember. The flip from red to blue is a combination of demographic shifts and the Trump effect, so we’ll have to wait and see how long the blue wave in the OC will actually last.