Californians, Vote NO!

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is so crazy and scary.
the way this stupid recall works is that if less than half of the voters Don't vote no, the guy with the most votes wins.

Newsom is not on the ballot.

Right now according to Every poll - the yes/no margin is super slim. Like 1 or 2 percent. (1)

Maybe what is even worse is that that according to the polls the leading candidate is Larry Elder. (2) He leads only with 25%. but the crazy thing is the way California recalls works there is not a run off. He would become the next governor.

And Larry Elder sucks! I could go on and on about what is wrong with this guy. But then I would have to write a full essay with at least 10 references. and who has time for that. If you do - just google him. Besides, those of you who live in SoCal proabably are well aware of him.

So of course you have to vote NO. you should have already received your mail in ballot. Fill it out (today) and mail it (today)
If you got at least $3 send it to Newsom's campaign. (3). and if you have the time volunteer for phone calls or texts. Or post on social media. or talk to your friends, family and neighbors. THIS is really important.

I'm going out with (150) door hangers today.

(1)Latest Polls Of The California Recall Election
(2) New CBS Recall Poll Has Newsom Still In Slight Lead, Elder Leading Among Candidates
(3) Contribute to help Governor Gavin Newsom defeat the Republican Recall attempt in California

Reactions: Sax and Amy SF
I didn't know what a recall vote was lou until I looked it up .

It seems an unusual inclusion to have in a democratic system, but interesting.

My understanding is there has to be 12% of the last vote? what happens next.

My understanding is there has to be 12% of the last vote? what happens next.
Not sure where you got the 12%
I'm not expert but the way I understand is that every state has its own rules on recalls. and most states have no provisions for recalls.
I really don't understand how California, one of the most progressive states, has such a stupid recall law.
Also in my life time this is not the first recall, so it boggles my mind that we let this law stand for so long.
After this is over I'm going to see what can be done about changing the law.

Anyway, in this instance, if more people vote no - then its over and done with.
but if more people vote yes, then the candidate with the most votes becomes the next governor.
There is something like 20 people on the ballot. And the leading candidate is polling in the 20s. So theoretically a person can get elected with less than a quarter of the voters approval.
I also don't understand why Newsom is not on the ballot. but the DNC is saying just vote NO and don't vote for any candidate.

Anyway, I gotta go back outside (with my mask) and do some more door hangers.

Opponents of a sitting governor petitioning to hold a recall election need signatures from the equivalent of 12 percent of the votes cast in the most recent gubernatorial election. In this case that was 1,495,709 signatures.?

hope the hangers are holding up

Well, as we all know by now, Newsom survived the recall with about 63% of the vote. But the recall was so ridiculous and was so easy to implement, the gubernatorial recall process in California needs to be either reformed or abolished entirely. We do have regular gubernatorial elections every four years, but the Republicans are at a point right now where they can’t win those elections, with most voters in the state registered as Democrats.

• Agree
Reactions: Blues
We have had this stupid recall election thing for years. (just looked this up)
Governors have faced recall attempts 57 times since 1913. Only two went to the ballot. and the first time the governor lost.
This law needs to be changed. That should have been a real priority - should have been something Jerry Brown could have/should have done.

• Agree
Reactions: Amy SF and Blues