US The Unravelling of the American Presidency

If everyone thinks that the Mueller report needs its own thread, we can start one. But in the meantime, we can discuss it here. Everyone is either attacking the report as Fake News or claiming it exonerates Trump from collusion - without having actually read it. Plus, Mueller has farmed out some criminal investigations to the states, New York, mainly, and, I think, California, and Trump and his family and associates can’t be pardoned if they receive indictments from the states, only from the federal government. I think Mueller knows what he’s doing.

If everyone thinks that the Mueller report needs its own thread, we can start one. But in the meantime, we can discuss it here. Everyone is either attacking the report as Fake News or claiming it exonerates Trump from collusion - without having actually read it. Plus, Mueller has farmed out some criminal investigations to the states, New York, mainly, and, I think, California, and Trump and his family and associates can’t be pardoned if they receive indictments from the states, only from the federal government. I think Mueller knows what he’s doing.
The last I saw on CBS was that, according to the summary put out by the AG, Mueller didn't find enough evidence to support collusion with Russia by Trump or his campaign, but obstruction of justice was still on the table. I do hope the state charges stick and that they nail him and his cronies to the wall. I hope they release the whole thing, because otherwise, both sides will be claiming coverup.

What I noticed is that the Trumptards on social media seem to be incredibly emboldened since it was released...

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be leaving at the end of the month. (As per usual, this was announced on Twitter.)

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be leaving at the end of the month. (As per usual, this was announced on Twitter.)
It always leaves one wondering whether the employee in question learned about the end of her/his employment via the tweet in question.

trump is apparently considering issuing an executive order that the citizenship question be included in the census. Google News

He must think that executive orders override Supreme Court decisions.

I'm afraid it's going to come down to this - the president simply ignoring the federal courts. And I no longer have any faith that the Republicans won't go along with him.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this Supreme Court when asked will agree with Trump and vote that executive orders do override Supreme Court decisions.

He's becoming increasingly unhinged, and yet I suspect his approval ratings aren't particularly suffering as a result of that. And that is unsettling. He's successfully turning large parts of the electorate into fascists. I'm not sure there's a way back to a more normal situation once they've gone past that point. In Europe Fascism was defeated only with force and the sacrifice of millions of lives.
Donald Trump has endorsed the political ambitions of ex-Arizona Diamondbacks baseball star Curt Schilling, an outspoken conservative and Breitbart podcast host known for espousing conspiracy theories and white nationalist rhetoric and collecting Nazi memorabilia.
Trump news: President endorses man who openly avows white nationalism, collects Nazi relics and called Sandy Hook 'a hoax'
(14. Aug. 2019)

Last edited:
Trump is in town today. There is a rally at the civic arena less than a mile from my office. During my lunch break there were already a lot of colorful and outspoken folks from both ends of the spectrum downtown. One of my coworkers noted people were sleeping outside the arena overnight, in line for tickets. A friend who works at a restaurant downtown told me the local police stopped in to suggest they bring in their patio furniture for safety's sake. There will doubtless be a strong police and secret service presence in the city. A lot of road closures were scheduled. In addition to the rally were several anti-Trump rallies as well. I high-tailed it home as soon as my shift ended. Political extremism on either side is never a good thing.

He's becoming increasingly unhinged, and yet I suspect his approval ratings aren't particularly suffering as a result of that. And that is unsettling. He's successfully turning large parts of the electorate into fascists. I'm not sure there's a way back to a more normal situation once they've gone past that point. In Europe Fascism was defeated only with force and the sacrifice of millions of lives.

(14. Aug. 2019)
This made my blood boil. Schilling's politics make me ill, not to mention his fleecing my home state (Rhode Island) regarding a failed business venture that cost the state millions and put a lot of people out of work. As an athlete, he was very talented and helped my baseball team win the World Series, but man, he could never shut up. He was forever putting his foot in his mouth.