TV & Film The TV Room

Netflix has acquired Suits. It's on their top 10 list.
Earlier this week when I turned on Netflix they have those previews that get force fed to you. and ... it seemed pretty interesting.
I watched an episode and now I can't stop. I watch a few episodes every night.
It's not even the type of TV show I usually like. It's not a mystery, procedural, or a court room drama. It's sort of a cheap knock off of the Good Wife, (which I loved.)
It's not even a very good drama - where I fell the writers manufacture the drama. As I write that I realize that isn't a good criticism, in fiction all drama is manufactured. Maybe I mean the drama seems to be more artificial or less natural. For one thing, most of the drama could be resolved if the main characters just stoped lying to each other.
Anyway, the strange thing is for now I can't stop watching it.
Hi Lou,

first of all, thanks for the suggestion of „The Good Wife“, which I had not heard about so far. Am right now watching the pilot episode on „Amazon Freevee“ and using the ad breaks to write this post ;-)

I watched „Suits“ some time ago and am not really sure how I see this as „rip off“ of „Suits“, as that was mainly about the guy with photographic memory who has dropped out of college but now gets hired as lawyer by a high-profile law firm pretending he has actually gone to Harvard. Much of the drama of „suits“ basically comes from him either miraculously using his incredible brain to win hard cases or nearly getting caught on his con, so quite different from a middle-aged (but very sharp) female lawyer coming back to a law firm after her DA husband has been jailed for corruption and sex affairs.

I watched „Suits“ some time ago and am not really sure how I see this as „rip off“ of „Suits“,
I said, "It's sort of a cheap knock off of the Good Wife, (which I loved.)"

I'll stand by that. Both shows are about high priced powerful, well dressed, good looking lawyers, their personal lives, and ethical ambiguity.
I think the good wife had a bigger and more expensive cast. And IMHO better writers. And my guess is that the people in charge of Suits were looking to have a show as successful as The Good Wife.

I totally binged watched suits. And from what I been hearing, I'm not the only one. So it may not be as great as the Good 'Wife - its still pretty good..

BTW, besides the spin off The Good Fight, there was another show, Brain Dead.

"BrainDead is an American political satire science fiction comedy-drama television seriescreated by Robert and Michelle King."

I loved it Cancelled before its time

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Finished the latest season of Star Trek Strange Worlds. Got a little too much martial for my tastes. And then it ended with a cliff hanger. So I guess there will be another season - although nowadays that is not a guarantee.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Finished the latest season of Star Trek Strange Worlds. Got a little too much martial for my tastes. And then it ended with a cliff hanger. So I guess there will be another season - although nowadays that is not a guarantee.
Martial? I have only seen the first episode. I might watch some more later.

Martial? I have only seen the first episode. I might watch some more later.
It got that way towards the end. a couple of episodes included space battles. Not that I don't like a good space battle but...
Don't know if it was a trend or what.
There was also the musical episode which I didn't like.

• Friendly
I thought the second episode of Strange New Worlds was very dull. We stopped watching it and are watching Real Housewives instead!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I like Strange New Worlds! I have to catch up on it. I started watching the new Star Wars series, Ahsoka. First episode pretty good. There are strong women characters.
I was thinking of checking that out. but I'm way behind on my TV Star Wars shows.

I watched the Netflix TV show Fisk. Just six 30 minute episodes.
"Fast-paced comedy about high-end contracts lawyer Helen Tudor-Fisk, who is forced to take a job at a shabby, suburban law firm following a humiliating marriage breakdown and a professional fall from grace."
- IMDB

It's Australian which for me always makes it more interesting. And in Australia there is already a second season out so I guess we will get one here, too.

I really liked it. Quirky and endearing - Two thumbs up.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
so my honey is watching 1883 and although I really didn't want to watch I did get sucked in... one episode to go, although I read ahead online so I have an idea about what is going to happen.... I guess 1923 is next...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
so my honey is watching 1883 and although I really didn't want to watch I did get sucked in... one episode to go, although I read ahead online so I have an idea about what is going to happen.... I guess 1923 is next...

Emma JC
I like it that you are taking it in chronological order. is 1941 next?

Emma JC
I liked 1883 though it was heartbreaking. I haven't watched 1923 yet.

• Agree
Started watching Who is Erin Carter?
It's a new Netflix series.
So far I don't like it and may not finish it.
The plot is a very well worn story. Hero runs from their mysterious and/or criminal past but gets drawn back into it.
Sometimes these types of movies have some kind of plot twist that makes them stand out but so far I have little hope.

Hey, why don't one of you guys watch it and let me know if I should keep going.

• Haha
I liked 1883 though it was heartbreaking. I haven't watched 1923 yet.

we have started 1923 and a few episodes in.... very much like Yellowstone although there are some interesting side plots that take place on the plains of Africa - I just wish it wasn't conflict conflict conflict - if it properly reflects the era in that area I am glad I didn't live then...

Emma JC