UK The Telegraph on Google News

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Why is 5 out of 6 "Top Stories" on my Google News (news.google.com) pointing to articles in The Telegraph? What is wrong with Google, do they not realize how biased this newspaper is on a range of issues? And even if they believe it's not biased, do they not see a problem with featuring one particular newspaper so heavily?

And before you ask, this is not a one-off incident. On most days, The Telegraph has a near-monopoly like this on my Google News.

and The Mail....what is worse is that if you click on them then goofle will think you want to read that paper....I'll leave that typo. :)

Hmm, might have something to do with "search engine optimization"...

Likely those biased bastards are paying a lot of money for that.

Maybe it's your settings? You can use the 'Adjust Sources' feature to customise to your liking :)
I'm using the default settings, as are probably most people, more or less. It's nice that there might be a way for me to block them somewhere buried in the settings, but there is still the problem of how Google is allowing one news source to have such a dominating influence.
My Google news tends to focus on the news sources which I read most frequently.
I make an effort to choose other news sources most of the time, so I don't think it's based on what I've clicked before so much.
Hmm, might have something to do with "search engine optimization"...

Likely those biased bastards are paying a lot of money for that.
Yes, it's possible that this is at least part of the explanation. Of course, they also have to cover a lot of the news in the first place, so that when Google has to choose which news source to feature for a certain news story, The Telegraph is an option. I'm curious how much human intervention, if any, is required by Google to make this choice.

I'm using the default settings, as are probably most people, more or less. It's nice that there might be a way for me to block them somewhere buried in the settings, but there is still the problem of how Google is allowing one news source to have such a dominating influence.

I'm also using the default settings, and everything is pretty even for me... each category's view has 4-5 different sources in, and the telegraph features the same amount as the guardian, BBC News, and the financial times.

Anyway, I think The Telegraph is a more sinister news source than The Daily Mail. For example, every headline about Jeremy Corbyn has a negative slant to it. I think the same was true about Ed Milliband when he was Labour leader.

To me The Mail, while very tabloid, seems less biased than The Telegraph.