Health Issues Not so good blood test

marcone97

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi!
I have been vegan for 6 months and a half, so not very much.

Two days ago i got my blood tested after quite some years. I am 23 years old and here are the values that are not in the "reference value" range:
  • B-Leucocytes: 4.25, reference: 4.50-11.00 x10E9/L
  • B-Platelets: 146, reference: 150-450 x10E9/L
  • P-AST: 42, reference: 5-38 U/L
  • P-ALT: 44, reference: 5-41 U/L
  • P-GGT: 9, reference: 10-66 U/L
  • P-Cholesterol: 77, reference: 110-200 mg/dL
  • P-Cholesterol HDL: 32, reference: >55 mg/dL
  • Vitamin D3: 76.2, reference: >80 nmol/L
  • P-TSH: 4.75, reference: 0.4-4.0 uUI/mL
Well.. I read in other posts that it is normal for cholesterol to go as low as my values. Also vitamin D3 I think I just need a little bit more sun. However, all the other values worries me a quite a lot. I talked to the doctor, and he said that in general they are not too bad, but that something is surely wrong, and in the long run I could face some serious problems.

He suggested two main causes:
  1. I have some kind of thyroid problem due to low iodine (I don't eat much iodised salt) or just some dysfunction
  2. I am lacking two amino acids (out of the 9 essential ones) which according to him are particularly hard to find in a vegan diet. In this case, the lacking of them cause low cholesterol levels and a thyroid dysfunction that cause the other problems
I am not really sure what to do.

I would like to try using more salt, so raising the iodine and repeating the exam in three months.

The MD suggested instead to try going vegetarian for two-three months, eating like 3 eggs a week and repeat the blood test thereafter. I don't find this option too bad sincerely, considering it could be my body not being too good at absorbing amino acids.

However, if I do this, and still eat more salt, I won't know if the problem is low iodine or amino acids deficit. I probably should try to change one single parameter to find what I am lacking of. But the MD also told me that it is strange to have all this not regular value with the TSH relatively near the reference range, saying that is is more probable to just have a amino acids deficit.

The thing I am more worried about are the liver parameters (p-ast, p-alt and p-ggt). Could they be related to something else? I just hope not to have a little liver cancer or similar.

Regarding the diet, I eat whole grains, legumes, seeeds, green leafy and fruit everyday. I try to avoid processed foods and oils. I don't drink nor smoke. Not really sure if I could improve something.

What do you suggest to do?

Last edited:
You can buy amino acid supplements, most vegan bodybuilders take them all the time. which are you missing? When I was 100% vegan I took and still do - creatine monohydrate I recently bought glutamine powder.

you didn't mention soy or tofu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou
I ate just once in this six months both soy and tofu. I don't really like the taste of both, so I decided not to eat them.
From what I read, I should have got all essential amino acids from legumes and cereals. But probably I'm missing some pieces of the puzzle.
To the blood test.. They didn't cover the amino acids distribution.. That is just what the MD deduced from the results.

Yeah, you should be using iodized salt for all your cooking. But don't just increase your salt intake because you need more iodine. All the "sea vegetables" have lots of iodine. You'll have to look around to see what is available in your area. If you have some Asian stores that would be a good place to start. And I'm sure there are some ways to get it online. But moderate your intake of sea vegetables. they typically are a little high in the heavy metal department.

The iodine levels of production is hard to gauge. Typically the nutrition trackers don't do it that well. Mostly because iodine levels in produce can vary so much. Produce grown near the coast is the best source of iodine.

Oh, and most multivitamins have 100% of the RDA of iodine. IMHO, taking a multi is a cheap source of micronutrients than can help fill in any holes you might have.

I have found that the best bet to make sure I get all the amino acids aren't by targeting them but just by eating more protein. (a rising tide lifts all boats).

Soy milk and tofu are great sources of nutrition for vegans.

I drink unsweetened soy milk, not for taste but for the fortified ingredients and protein. In Canada I bought vegan Italian style sausage by Field Roast also their burgers, tons of protein.

Myself I go with a Predominantly Plant-Based lifestyle.

Unsweetened soy milk is great for smoothies and cereals.
I think vanilla flavored soy milk is better for drinking plain.
but there is all kinds of things I do with soymilk

a cup of hot chocolate flavored soy milk in the morning.
Lattes - coffee or tea
Chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies
fruit smoothies but with soy milk instead of fruit juice.

Reactions: PTree15
I just got diagnosed with thyroid cysts, which are common. Not sure if low iodine was a contributing factor, but it did cause me to read about it. I learned that some foods, including soy, make it harder to absorb iodine. I've been eating soy almost every day for the past twenty years. But now that I know about the iodine thing, I'm making a point of mixing it up and eating more beans and nuts. I'm also using more iodized salt instead of tamari (yum).

Also, my doc said that most people have low vitamin D. It's hard to get enough without also putting yourself at risk for skin cancer (because of the ozone issues - sun exposure is more dangerous than it used to be). He recommends that everyone use sunscreen and take supplemental vitamin D.