The Tea & Infusion Thread.

iherb sell a chocolate flavoured (black) tea. Yogi also have chocolate flavoured infusions.
Huh. I was just joking. I should have know better.
So I've been looking in all my regular stores for a sweet herbal and haven't seen those. so I just checked on Amazon. OMG. there are so many kinds!!
herbal and black teas, cafs and decafs
Stash seems to have the greatest variety. and they sell a sampler.

Reactions: KLS52 and Chryssie
Huh. I was just joking. I should have know better.
So I've been looking in all my regular stores for a sweet herbal and haven't seen those. so I just checked on Amazon. OMG. there are so many kinds!!
herbal and black teas, cafs and decafs
Stash seems to have the greatest variety. and they sell a sampler.
Thank you for reminding me of rooibos! That was exactly what I wanted. My discount store, Marcs, has a wide variety of teas, and that was were I first found rooibos, but no more. I'd forgotten about it!
I almost got the Good Earth sweet and spicy decaf, but I'm so particular about spices in teas. So many have too much cinnamon, or I can taste star anise, or licorice root. The chai blends I've liked have been expensive. I like cardamon, and heavy on the ginger and cloves

I just ordered this Rooibos-
I also got a silicone IP lid as I've been using an upside down pot lid when I put it in the fridge-free shipping!

Once I became a fan of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, I had to figure out what kind of tea Precious Ramotswe was always drinking. In the books they called it bush tea. It didn't take long to find out.

Bush tea is a type of tea grown only in South Africa. It is also known as Honeybush or red bush or Rooibos tea. Bush tea is a refreshing, caffeine-free drink high in antioxidants and minerals; low in tannin.​
The popularity of Bush Tea has skyrocketed after Precious Ramotswe first said, "Let's take a cup of bush tea in the shade" to her secretary Grace, in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.​

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Once I became a fan of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, I had to figure out what kind of tea Precious Ramotswe was always drinking. In the books they called it bush tea. It didn't take long to find out.

Bush tea is a type of tea grown only in South Africa. It is also known as Honeybush or red bush or Rooibos tea. Bush tea is a refreshing, caffeine-free drink high in antioxidants and minerals; low in tannin.​
The popularity of Bush Tea has skyrocketed after Precious Ramotswe first said, "Let's take a cup of bush tea in the shade" to her secretary Grace, in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.​
Honeybush is a different type. Rooibos isn't sweet, honey bush is. I once had a blend and while it was good, I didn't really care for it. Didn't have the after taste of like stevia though.
Rooibos is known as red bush

Hmmm...learned something new

Honeybush is a different type. Rooibos isn't sweet, honey bush is. I once had a blend and while it was good, I didn't really care for it. Didn't have the after taste of like stevia though.
Rooibos is known as red bush

Hmmm...learned something new
I may have never had Honeybush. Now I think I want to try it.

I have a jar of these little seeds in my cabinet. I remember the directions said to let 4 or 5 steep with your tea. they make your tea a little sweeter. I can't remember what they are, tho.

That web I linked does make a distinction between Honeybush and Roobios. but it doesn't make it clear which tea Precious drank. I've always thought she drank rooibos.

Not that this helps at all... but I just got a good laugh. You have to read the descriptions and have read at least one of the books.

Aha! I found an interview by the author.
"Mma Ramotswe drinks both redbush and ordinary tea"

If this Republic of Tea has a tasting room, I might drive over there when this pandemic is over. Novato is not that far from me.

Oh, boy! they have a sampler pack that includes four different kinds of chocolate tea.

Last edited:
Speaking of tea, I bought some hibiscus tea because of the blood pressure lowering effect. It is kind of weird tasting and is red colored. I assume from red hibiscus. I have a peach colored hibiscus flower; I wonder how you make tea from the flowers?

Speaking of tea, I bought some hibiscus tea because of the blood pressure lowering effect.

I once bought some for the very same reason. Hated it!

Actually, I ended up using it for iced tea, sometimes blended with some fresh mint, which grows out of control in my backyard. It is pretty tasty like that or with some lemons/juice. There's lots of ways to embellish the taste, and it does need some embellishment, in my humble opinion. Some people might love it, who knows?

I miss my beautiful hibiscus plant. I had it for many years. It was quite big, but winters were always tough on it. Sadly it died :(
I did not use mine for tea. You might find this article useful.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Chryssie
If you don't like Hibiscus tea, there are other teas that are associated with lowering blood pressure.
Green tea is supposed to be one of the best. It also has some weight loss properties. and losing weight is usually a big help in lowering blood pressure. My blood pressure went down when I lost weight.

Oolong tea is supposed to be pretty good too. and I keep seeing people recommend pomegranate juice. Oolong has less cafeine than green tea.

• Informative
Reactions: Chryssie and shyvas
I like both tea and infusions including flavoured teas.

My favourite tea is Early Grey which I find both refreshing and also a pick me up due to the bergamot content. I always drink it with a dash of pb milk and sweetener.

The above is my favourite brand and I also like to use EG when making fruit cakes and ice cream. You can also sample tea at Whittard's and even take it back if you don't like it. They will give you a full refund.

Earl Grey tea is a tea blend which has been flavoured with the addition of oil of bergamot. The rind's fragrant oil is added to black tea to give Earl Grey its unique taste.[1]Traditionally, Earl Grey was made from black teas such as China keemun and therefore intended to be drunk without milk. However, tea companies have since begun to offer Earl Grey based upon stronger teas such as Ceylons which are better suited to the addition of milk or cream.

Wiki.

My second favourite is Darjeeling which is sometimes considered as the finest of black teas.

My favourite infusion is hibiscus including floral and fruit ; strawberry, brambles, elderflower etc. I also like blends such as lemon & ginger or peppermint.

I like to drink infusions either hot or cold.

Tea tastes far better when using leaves and brewing in a tea pot compared to using a tea bag. However, infusions taste quite good and less messy to prepare compared to using petals, peel etc. Moreover, infusions are quite inexpensive and some shops sell them for as little as 80p (20 bags) which is great value for money. I also like the cold brew infusions during summer months.

https://www.goodandpropertea.com/blogs/all/why-herbal-tea-isnt-really-a-tea

My favourite : Sainsbury's online Grocery Shopping and Fresh Food Delivery

• Informative
Reactions: Veganite and Lou
I’ve always had a problem with the word rooibos. Probably because when I first heard of it it was misspelled...roobios. So I thought it was roo-bee-os tea. 😊
But I looked it up...it’s Roy-boss.

This helped.

I've never said rooibos out loud as I had no idea how to pronounce it! I don't really like it.

I have a large selection of herbal teas at the moment due to the time of year. Today I've had a cup of detox tea before breakfast (peppermint, fennel seed, licorice etc...) and a cup of green tea after my lunch.

I’ve always had a problem with the word rooibos. Probably because when I first heard of it it was misspelled...roobios. So I thought it was roo-bee-os tea. 😊
But I looked it up...it’s Roy-boss.

This helped.

We were discussing this 3 years ago. :D It means red bush in Afrikaans.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I've never said rooibos out loud as I had no idea how to pronounce it! I don't really like it.

I have a large selection of herbal teas at the moment due to the time of year. Today I've had a cup of detox tea before breakfast (peppermint, fennel seed, licorice etc...) and a cup of green tea after my lunch.

So our tastes haven't changed. :pI also loathe it as it reminds me of cumin. Give me a bramble and blueberry infusion any day.

Reactions: Lou
I am amazing! I didn't even know that this thread existed and I have all kinds of posts in it.

Anyway, its good to see an old neglected thread come to life again.

I imagine a moderator (Shyvas?) got tired of people taking about tea in the the coffee house.

Note to moderator, you grabbed my post about Rokus and put it in here too. No biggie but just saying.

I am amazing! I didn't even know that this thread existed and I have all kinds of posts in it.

Anyway, its good to see an old neglected thread come to life again.

I imagine a moderator (Shyvas?) got tired of people taking about tea in the the coffee house.

Note to moderator, you grabbed my post about Rokus and put it in here too. No biggie but just saying.

Not quite so. It's part of my job to make sure than any discussion gets moved into an appropriate thread. I think that it would have been a
shame to have so many interesting posts 'lost' in a CH thread.

Who is Rokus ? I can move it/him/she back to the CH thread if you like. :D

Reactions: silva
Not quite so. It's part of my job to make sure than any discussion gets moved into an appropriate thread. I think that it would have been a
shame to have so many interesting posts 'lost' in a CH thread.

Who is Rokus ? I can move it/him/she back to the CH thread if you like. :D
wait, are you saying I am not amazing?
Anyway, good job on the moving. I like that you picked up on that. No one had posted to that thread in years. So its good to see it come back to live. (reminds me of some houseplants I know).

Roku is not a person. Its a streaming device. In between the talk about teas I recommended it to some people who wanted to watch more stuff without commercials.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas