The Tea & Infusion Thread.

I’m glad to know about hibiscus now. The meds I take for the arrhythmia already lower my bp so I don’t need it lowered anymore.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Ok so I was inspired to have tea today. 😊
What type of tea did you have?
Hibiscus lowered my perfectly normal BP enough to get someone to drive me to an urgent care. It was in the 80's over 50 something, and I was quite faint! I'm surprised she even thought to ask, or know about, what I was recently eating or drinking! That was a glass of iced hibicus a day. I was only drinking it because I liked it, I had no idea it lowered BP.
I may be particularly sensitive though, when I went off adding salt and wfpb it dropped too much
Eek!

I'm going to take my BP first and see if it makes any difference. My BP isn't high anyway, I don't think.

What type of tea did you have?

Eek!

I'm going to take my BP first and see if it makes any difference. My BP isn't high anyway, I don't think.

It takes 3 cups per day to lower BP.
I can't imagine that it would have a great impact for those who have very high BP.

@Raven just plain old boring black tea with a splash of creamer and a teaspoon of sugar. 😊 But it was good. I enjoyed it with a toasted English Muffin, a bit of Miyokos butter and blackberry jam.

Reactions: Raven
I can't imagine that it would have a great impact for those who have very high BP.
I don't remember where I read this, but I have this recollection that it takes at least half a cup a day for a year.

My experience was one daily glass--maybe 20 oz, to lower my normal BP.
People who follow Dr Gregers guidelines swear it's kept them from taking meds.
It's super easily cold brewed in water

Reactions: Lou
@Raven just plain old boring black tea with a splash of creamer and a teaspoon of sugar. 😊 But it was good. I enjoyed it with a toasted English Muffin, a bit of Miyokos butter and blackberry jam.
You ever stir jam into the tea? I don't, but I put 'blackberry' and tea together and it sounds good :grinning:

• Wow
Reactions: KLS52
You ever stir jam into the tea? I don't, but I put 'blackberry' and tea together and it sounds good :grinning:
I’m so going to try that!
I had some black tea today with just sugar and no creamer. It was still good.

• Informative
I am going to take my blood pressure this morning and then try the hibiscus tea daily and then see if it is any different in a week.

I fancy a cup of coffee, weirdly. :laughing:

Just a word of caution for anyone who is on any medication for BP or diabetes etc:

''Like other herbal teas, hibiscus tea may interfere with certain medications. These include antihypertensive drugs in which the coadministration of hibiscus may cause hypotension (low blood pressure). Similarly, the combination of high-dose hibiscus supplements and diabetes medicationscould potentially lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
Hibiscus also contains phytoestrogen, plant-based compounds that are similar to human estrogen. While the occasional cup of hibiscus tea will unlikely do you any harm if you are on the pill, the regular use of hibiscus can potentially undermine the effectiveness of estrogen-based birth control.
Always speak with your doctor before embarking on any home remedy, including something as innocuous as hibiscus tea. Doing so may help you avoid interactions and side effects.''

This morning I decided to venture into loose leaf teas. I ordered some silicone tea bags, an herb that I used to make tea from (that was the only loose tea I have made in the past) and see green tea. I will read over this thread later and find a shop for tea, but I don't leaf the house much. (Pun intended) I do love a cup of tea. I just need to find low caffeine. Green tea is one of faves. I don't like to have a tea with cream or milk much.

Reactions: Raven and Chryssie
I have this thing for loose leaf teas. I don't remember buying it. Maybe I got it as a gift or it came in a box of tea. I think it's made from silicon. It has a little lip which very fortunetly fits over the rim of my coffee cups. It really is a perfect fit. If the tea cup was a little bigger it would fall inside. and if the cup was a little smaller it wouldn't fit in it at all.

you can buy loose leaf teas at most markets. or online. I was surprised to find out how expensive they can be. I have some African Chai which is really good. I also have some tea a friend brought back from Canada. I know its something special. It came in a little zip lock bag with a label attached and a cool little wooden spoon. but I have lost (or misplaced) the label and the garbage disposal ate the spoon. It tastes good but I wish I knew what its called.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I infuse tea leaves in a tea pot. It makes the best brew ever.
But then you have to go all anglophile and get a silver tea tray with matching porcelain creamer and sugar bowl. and a butler to bring you the tea set. Oh, and a Lady to pour the tea.

Or you might want to go all Asian with Geishas and gongs. :)

• Disagree
I do have the cutest little Japanese tea cup. Blue porcelain with matching lid. Really good for teas with a long steeping period.