The Struggle is Meal

Maybe I am Cali-spoiled. I can walk to 4 different decent Mexican restaurants. and 4 different Chinese restaurants and can have a vegan meal at any one of them.

And I don't mind a good pizza without cheese either. And the pizza places all have salad bars. they plan to open them someday. I thought that the salad bar was going to become extinct.

Oh and we used to have salad bar restaurants, like Sweet Tomatoes.

And all the burger places now have either a Beyond Burger or an Impossible Burger on the menu.

Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
Maybe I am Cali-spoiled. I can walk to 4 different decent Mexican restaurants. and 4 different Chinese restaurants and can have a vegan meal at any one of them.

And I don't mind a good pizza without cheese either. And the pizza places all have salad bars. they plan to open them someday. I thought that the salad bar was going to become extinct.

Oh and we used to have salad bar restaurants, like Sweet Tomatoes.

And all the burger places now have either a Beyond Burger or an Impossible Burger on the menu.
My peeve with pizza without cheese is that most (maybe all?) pizza places here won't let me trade the cheese for another topping. They'll have pepperoni that covers the top, but I pay for mushrooms and barely get any!
Pizza Hut would have specials of unlimited toppings, and had a fabulous little red pepper they discontinued. That was so good without cheese!
We have a woodfired oven place that HAD been good--unlimited toppings for one price-but the last two I had were all wet! :shrug: :down:

Pizza has the connotation of being cheap and easy--that really screws vegans in most places

Why oh why aren't there more regular type vegan restaurants? Vegan sub shops? Vegan pizza?
I know they're coming though! I've never had more ordinary conversations about food that centered around vegan or plant based foods than this year!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
That relates to my biggest pet peeve too. Like getting a vegan sandwich which costs as much as the ham and cheese sandwich but without the ham and cheee.

and yeah, pizzas without cheese.

I've actually stopped buying pizzas at restaurants and just make my own. I do use fake cheese but very conservatively. Fake cheese is almost as bad as no cheese. At home I don't put on a ton of toppings.

we have ONE restaurant in town that has always been a sort of vegetarian/vegan place. I haven't been there in almost 2 years so I don't even know it is still there. but it wasn't entirely vegetarian of vegan. it just had options and carried some mock meats and fake cheeses.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've actually stopped buying pizzas at restaurants and just make my own. I do use fake cheese but very conservatively. Fake cheese is almost as bad as no cheese.
This. Blargh.

Maybe I'm going to experiment with a kind of sauce ("Hefeschmelz") that contains nutritional yeast some vegans put on pizza or casseroles. It seems to be quite popular in Germany but I guess when it comes to cheese we have to be patient.

This. Blargh.

Maybe I'm going to experiment with a kind of sauce ("Hefeschmelz") that contains nutritional yeast some vegans put on pizza or casseroles. It seems to be quite popular in Germany but I guess when it comes to cheese we have to be patient.

Have you tasted any plant based cheeses?

Lots of!

The only I find at least bearable are the WIlmersburger Chili Slices - they add a nice kind of zing to a sandwich. It was not that bad on a potato casserole but nothing that could match real cheese. The rest I tried... let's not talk about it.

An exception are imitations of cream cheeses. I think they're pretty good. Oatly and Alnatura are my favorites.

There is also a cashew based camembert I think of as good but it's very expensive, very perishable and not easily available (I would have to order online since moving and with the warm weather this doesn't seem exactly like a good idea).

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
Lots of!

The only I find at least bearable are the WIlmersburger Chili Slices - they add a nice kind of zing to a sandwich. It was not that bad on a potato casserole but nothing that could match real cheese. The rest I tried... let's not talk about it.

An exception are imitations of cream cheeses. I think they're pretty good. Oatly and Alnatura are my favorites.

There is also a cashew based camembert I think of as good but it's very expensive, very perishable and not easily available (I would have to order online since moving and with the warm weather this doesn't seem exactly like a good idea).

I find that Applewood and some of the Violife cheeses aren't too bad for melting. However, I do agree with you as they don't compare to dairy cheese. I wasn't too keen on Willmersburger as it didn't have that acidic taste neither did it melt well.

I'm not a huge fan of cream cheeses and have never tasted Oatly. I have also never ventured and bought artisan kind of cashew cheeses because they are ridiculously expensive.

I still miss and crave my favourite cheese ; Farmhouse cheddar and Stilton. Perhaps one day..............:D

• Friendly
I'm not a huge fan of cream cheeses and have never tasted Oatly. I have also never ventured and bought artisan kind of cashew cheeses because they are ridiculously expensive.
I like to put it under cold cuts seitan or smoked tofu slices. The plain ones I like to eat with jam or molasses.

Oh, both WIlmersburger and Violife didn't really melt. The most melty one is the Simply one but the taste is nothing like e. g. shredded gouda, edamer or mozzarella. It almost hurts to say though that it was so far the best of them. The Violife had some kind of ... sour taste to it?

I like to put it under cold cuts seitan or smoked tofu slices. The plain ones I like to eat with jam or molasses.

Oh, both WIlmersburger and Violife didn't really melt. The most melty one is the Simply one but the taste is nothing like e. g. shredded gouda, edamer or mozzarella. It almost hurts to say though that it was so far the best of them. The Violife had some kind of ... sour taste to it?

True. Have you every tried Applewood as it melts really well?

We don't really get much choice over here and I'm constantly trying to make interesting dishes but it's a bit too much at times.

A vegan diet is limited. No animal products.

I wish vegans would stop trying to convince people that the vegan diet is "not limited".
I think when vegans say that, they mean that we aren't "limited" to pasta marinara and a burger-less burger. In case of dairy, we have so many plant-based options to choose from, flavors to choose from, and when it comes to plant-based milk, we actually have more options than people who drink dairy-based milk. For vegans, our options are rice, almond, cashew, oat, soy, walnut, flaxseed milks. And the chocolate flavored ones are to die for! For dairy drinkers, they are quite limited in comparison with only goat and cow's milk to choose from.

For dairy drinkers, they are quite limited in comparison with only goat and cow's milk to choose from.
Hummmmmm - the omnivores still can have the vegan food and everything else on top.

I don't know why it seems so important for some vegans to insist that the food choices aren't limited. They are. An omnivore can have every vegan food on top of any animal food. That most omnivore choose not to eat these foods is just an option they choose.

In general I don't mind the limitations (I mind the inconvenience a lot though) but if anyone would ask me today if I think that my food choices are limited I'd answer: yes, they are but this is my choice so it's ok.

I don't see any use in claiming something different. It would feel like lying to the other person.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I actually like the limitations as it makes eating healthy so much simpler - I am no longer tempted to stop in at my local (Tim Horton's) coffee/donut shop and have a donut or bagel and cream cheese, or pick up a pizza to go because I am too lazy to cook etc - intentional eating instead of random eating...

We have always liked our own cooking more than we liked eating out and not being able to just order $60 worth of Thai food, now and then, keeps us happy with our choice - even now, my honey often says, lets just go to ________ for chicken wings and beer.... knowing that we actually won't do it saves a lot of money and saves a lot chickens their wings.....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
I actually like the limitations as it makes eating healthy so much simpler - I am no longer tempted to stop in at my local (Tim Horton's) coffee/donut shop and have a donut or bagel and cream cheese, or pick up a pizza to go because I am too lazy to cook etc - intentional eating instead of random eating...

We have always liked our own cooking more than we liked eating out and not being able to just order $60 worth of Thai food, now and then, keeps us happy with our choice - even now, my honey often says, lets just go to ________ for chicken wings and beer.... knowing that we actually won't do it saves a lot of money and saves a lot chickens their wings.....

Emma JC
The only thing keeping me from $60 of Thai food is the $60! :drool:
That's the thing-wfpb is very limited, but it allows people to have so more health and so often that corresponds to more finances
I don't feel limited by vegan foods, because of candy, snack foods, and all the processed foods out there, but eating healthfully, heck yes!
Even the Whole 30 diet, which is the whole food for meateaters, is equally limited

I do miss Pad Thai.......... like pasta of any sort, I could eat Pad Thai at every meal and I know there are vegan versions but even when I wasn't vegan I didn't enjoy my own Pad Thai as much as I liked restaurant versions. So I just don't even try to make it and make other tasty noodles dishes instead.

Emma JC

That's the thing-wfpb is very limited, but it allows people to have so more health and so often that corresponds to more finances
I don't feel limited by vegan foods, because of candy, snack foods, and all the processed foods out there, but eating healthfully, heck yes!
There are enough Whole 30 and WFPB eaters who claim that the diet is "not limited". :p

Well I guess in a sense all diets are "limited".
Limited by health concerns, or budgetary concerns, or time, or skill, or family members, or preferences.

I think what we are talking about is how limited you perceive your diet is. So there maybe something to calling your diet limiting or not just based on how you want to think about it

So there maybe something to calling your diet limiting or not just based on how you want to think about it
I think people don't like to call something "limited" because the word "limited" sounds really negative and like you have to sacrifice something constantly.

To bring the focus away from veganism: a lactose free diet is limited, a gluten free diet is limited, a nut free diet is limited and I think it shouldn't be a problem labeling these diets as "limited" because - well - they are!

These limitations come with certain hassles or inconveniences. Why not admit to that? Because the word "limited" has a negative connotation I guess and when it comes to a voluntary dietary choice many people don't seem to want to admit to that for whatever reason.

New here, don't mind the name, it's what came to mind when pressed to come up with one (if you're old enough, you'll remember a bit of a hedonistic cartoon cougar named snagglepuss). It fits my dilemma of continuously trying and failing to stay high on plants, mostly, I think, for two reasons: One, I struggle with limitations, aka discipline. I want to consume everything.

I know a vegan diet isn't limited (or doesn't have to be), but, frankly, I'm a ridiculously incompetent cook who struggles to say no when out on the town, or just out of the house (any vegan psychologists in the house? If so, put me on your couch and go to work). Two, probably due to those hedonistic issues, my innards are about as healthy as a war-ravaged town. Thus, whether I like it or not, I have limitations.

For instance, I recently whipped up a loaf of zucchini bread and two loaves of banana bread, made with maple syrup, sans oil, and all whole foods. My last attempt at banana bread resulted in banana soup, but this time all three loaves miraculously popped out as models of perfection. So I ate them - no, not all 3 at once - but I probably ate too much, and felt like hell, as if I'd swallowed a large bag of cement.

This is what confounds me. Had I eaten a greasy burger with cheese and fries instead, I would not have felt as close to death as I did after that bread (they would probably just kill me prematurely later on when least expected). So this is what limits me. I don't know if it's the flour (I've tried gluten containing and gluten free) or maple syrup or combination of both, but I can't eat such things. I'm not sure I should eat any bread at all. But I can eat meat without any such immediate consequences. Still, I've had enough experience to know that if I stick to a whole foods PBD, I will feel better than on any other diet, as long as I avoid those sweet breads (same with pancakes, my all time favorite food). These limitations are what make me fall off the wagon (usually into a deli sandwich or some other such disaster).

Anyway, I figured I'd join this forum for motivation. I used to live in Chicago, so going out for healthy food was easy, but now I'm in a vegan desert, surrounded by hunters and fisherman. The closest vegan restaurant is more than an hour away. So if you're going to visit me (on this forum), bring food (or an easy recipe), of your favorite, easy to make concoctions (so easy even a cooking moron can make them).
Hello! We have been enjoying these books, blogs, and YouTube channel. They have quick, easy and tasty recipes - maybe they will suit you too.

- the Vegan Stoner Cookbook 1 and 2: The Vegan Stoner

- Sam Turnbull and her new book: It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken • Easy Vegan Recipes

- cheap lazy vegan blog and YouTube channel:
- Dustin Harder and his new book:BOOK | the-vegan-roadie

Hello! We have been enjoying these books, blogs, and YouTube channel. They have quick, easy and tasty recipes - maybe they will suit you too.

- the Vegan Stoner Cookbook 1 and 2: The Vegan Stoner

- Sam Turnbull and her new book: It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken • Easy Vegan Recipes

- cheap lazy vegan blog and YouTube channel:
- Dustin Harder and his new book:BOOK | the-vegan-roadie
Sorry I've been swamped with work lately, haven't had much of a chance to check in here. I appreciate the links, I'll check them out.