The Minimalist Vegan

I dunno, i'm afraid i can do nothing about it, because my grandpa's wife burns them.:eek: I told them that it wasn't nesessary, but they wouldn't listen. They will kill them anyway. I'm just trying to convince them not to touch snails on the horseradish and rhubarb at least.:(

I dunno, i'm afraid i can do nothing about it, because my grandpa's wife burns them.:eek: I told them that it wasn't nesessary, but they wouldn't listen. They will kill them anyway. I'm just trying to convince them not to touch snails on the horseradish and rhubarb at least.:(

Can't you save some of them from the garden ?

Can't you save some of them from the garden ?
Yes i can, luckily! If i volunteer to gather them, i can secretly take them to the woods. I know i have to make some efforts, but i hope that i'll manage to do it during the next weekend!:woo:

I just took three carloads of stuff I will never miss to my church garage sale. I also connected recently with a marvelous person who runs a periodic free thrift store that travels to various locations around town. I will be giving many things to her as I continue to purge. I am also putting her in contact with someone I know who makes rag rugs out of clothing that is too ripped or stained to repair.

I’m frugal in how I acquire stuff, but truthfully I hang onto way more than I need. I will say that this morning, reaching into my drawer for an outfit, I found it SO fast! There weren’t all the other shirts and shorts in the way.

Now I just need to tackle the attic. It is full of art supplies, which to me are plastic bags, vhs tapes, yarn, and plastic table cloths.

according to me, i think minimalist are those who consume required goods only and utilize in the proper way so that it not get waste, i don't think to purchase in the least amount can define you as minimalist actually every person who use daily required goods in a disciplined manner,not purchasing in excess and letting them to rotten it is totally waste of goods, money, time, resources. So just understand the whole life cycle of the product how much resources and time is given to them

I guess you could call me a minimalist, though I don't really try to fit the label. I used to move around a lot, so I got in the habit of not buying stuff I didn't really need. And each time I moved, I would get rid of stuff.

It drives me crazy when I can't find what I'm looking for. So for me, clutter = evil. Even as I type this, I have three bags of old clothes and books that I need to drop off at the thrift store. And I'll do another purge in September.

I guess you could call me a minimalist, though I don't really try to fit the label. I used to move around a lot, so I got in the habit of not buying stuff I didn't really need. And each time I moved, I would get rid of stuff.

It drives me crazy when I can't find what I'm looking for. So for me, clutter = evil. Even as I type this, I have three bags of old clothes and books that I need to drop off at the thrift store. And I'll do another purge in September.

I can relate as I have a lack of storage in my flat.

I'm also amazed by some of the properties that I look up on the UK sites, that have no wardrobes in the bedrooms. I have one fitted wardrobe and it's far too small to store not only clothes, bedding but also items such as the hoover, broom etc

Sitting in a blank room can be rather relaxing but having a couple of lamps that each project different shadows onto the wall... also its a nice hobby making them and all that is required are a few branches and twigs or just something you can cut holes into. Check out "Tree Shadow Lamp" if you dont know what Im talkin about or just wanna see some good craftsmanship.

Currently my posesion consists of exactly 29 items but am I still a "proper" minimalist if I indulge in stimulus satiation (without drugs) on a regular basis? I have many reasons (even though I also get my kicks from it to be honest) to do things like for weeks not leaving a darkened room, not entering a building, taking a vow of silence, having a taste of starvation....... I wouldnt recommend doing this unless the only purpose for you is growing as a person and you very much know what you doing.

"Dont tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them suprise you with their results"

Reactions: Val
I try to practice minimalism. I think the basic premise is to stop and think before purchasing. I had been recycling glass jars to hold pasta, rice, beans, etc; to do my bit for the environment.

I was in the supermarket, and saw these really gorgeous storage jars on the clearance shelf, for half price. As I was putting the box in my cart, I stopped and questioned why I was buying decorative jars that would go in a closed cupboard. Nobody would ever see them.

That is minimalism. Just thinking about whether you really need it.

Reactions: vesper818 and 1956
Granted its counterintuitive. Buying stuff so that you can buy less stuff. but it actaully does make some sense.

I get these lists from BuzzFeed all the time. Some of them have been very informative. I've shared them with you guys on occasion. This one I think you guys will really like.

Looking To Cut Down On Waste? Check Out These 43 Products

Simple swaps to help you create less day-to-day trash.

I can tell I might have dormant hoarder tendencies. I like stuff, I lived that "shabby chic" fashion all my life! Like old tableclothes on the windows, tied back with jewelry, pins stuff in the wall as tacks...
I went through a time when I purged so much of my stuff-and totally regret it. I gave away my vinyl collection that I couldn't possible replace.
When I first left home, kinda impulsively, my mother literally emptied my room. I had boxes of journals, just gone. Pictures, clothes.
I live minimally. I hate to shop, have few needs, but the idea of cleansing everything for ??? what?
I guess that applies to some people, but it can hurtful to promote it as some kind 'freeing' liberating thing for everyone, because it's not.
I'm so freakin' uncomfortable in a house that all clean and sparse. I'm much more at home amid personal treasures.
Wow. Losing all of your stuff involuntary like that must have been really tough.
Especially as a young person, they often place some of their identity to their things.
I have had the complete opposite experience. Back in the day, when I didn't have a home, but wasn't completely homeless either, I always had places to sleep in. I travelled and so on... My brother kept most of my things.
When I came back, I went through my things and noticed that I didn't need any of those. I kept my diaries, but now those are gone also. But before destroying my diaries, I had the chance to say good bye to them. Or good riddance. Not very pleasant memories, actually.

I think that Snufkin from Tove Janssons The Moomins was a great influencer in my life when I was a kid, even though I of course at the time didn't understand that.
I have also had phases in my life when I have wanted more things. When I was really poor I would sometimes just take what ever was given. And then afterwards I'd have to give those things away, because I had only been greedy and not actually in need.
I'm on a path of understanding what I really need. That's so different for each individual.
Sometimes I think that only things I need are my body and this moment. But would I be all stoic about suddenly losing all of my possessions? I don't know. I'd most likely be quite devastated at least for a while.
I also have had to face my hoarder side and that's why I'm really careful with bringing in more stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vesper818
Granted its counterintuitive. Buying stuff so that you can buy less stuff. but it actaully does make some sense.

I get these lists from BuzzFeed all the time. Some of them have been very informative. I've shared them with you guys on occasion. This one I think you guys will really like.

Looking To Cut Down On Waste? Check Out These 43 Products

Simple swaps to help you create less day-to-day trash.

I watched a lot of the organizing videos where they went over to the Dollar store and bought plastic organizers for the pantry. I just used the small shipping boxes from Amazon and other online retailers. I get stuff online that it is difficult to find anywhere else. Some of the boxes needed to be cut down in order to be usable.

I couldn't see any reason for the plastic organizers, when small cardboard boxes worked quite well. Certainly not as attractive, but they look fine behind a closed door.

I try to ask the question before buying: Is there anything I can use instead?

This YouTuber called Ecofriend Lia has done this cool DIY kitchen cabinet from wooden boxes that she got for free or cheap from a grocery store, or something like that. I can't remember. In their country you'd have to buy a kitchen cabinet, those aren't readily installed to apartments when you move in, which is really inconvenient. I think what she has done with the boxes is marvellous. She isn't vegan but she tries her best to be zero waste and has stopped buying meat. Here is the video:

Reactions: Lou
As time has gone on I found myself living more and more minimally with things. As I now see reason to not be as much a consumer, knowing demand for things is really with great harm to this world, that it is changing quickly from that, I would continue on with avoiding to buy what I can manage doing without. For storage I use boxes and plastic containers or bags, that I am not going to just throw away but would make all the use of them that I can. I now see I will live much more simply, as far as I can go with that.

Reactions: vesper818 and Lou