The Minimalist Vegan

I'm so freakin sensitive to hair smell. I did the no poo method years back when I found a woman I worked with, with great shiney hair, did it, so I perservered till it normalized. It was great, lost it's poufiness, got shiney,and I did it for over a year. Then I started smelling it--I started smelling everyones hair for that matter, and I had to go back. No one else smelled my hair, but no one else seemed to notice other peoples hair odor.
I can't stand it. I shampoo every other day now. Yes, i tried adding essential oils!
I have heard that people who go on a thru-hike and during that time don't use smelly chemicals get really sensitive to smells. When they return back to the "civilisation" they get overwhelmed with all the smells: perfume, deodorant, hair products etc.
I'm also very sensitive to all those smells but I just endure instead of dulling my sense of smell.

Reactions: bEt
I can't imagine washing my hair 3 times a year without shampoo. What is the basis about not using a mild shampoo from time to time?

I certainly have noticed that some people who have greasy/dirty hair have an unpleasant lingering smell.
I have yet to find the logic with hair. You try to tame it by washing or not washing and it still does what it does...
If MorellaRat says that this works for her, I believe her...

I tried to make my own hair mask once because my hair is so dry and it was a disaster. Now that did smell. I used coconut oil and it would not wash out and went rancid. Never again! Funny to look back on though.

I have heard that people who go on a thru-hike and during that time don't use smelly chemicals get really sensitive to smells. When they return back to the "civilisation" they get overwhelmed with all the smells: perfume, deodorant, hair products etc.
I'm also very sensitive to all those smells but I just endure instead of dulling my sense of smell.

I buy perfume free beauty products.:)

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I
I was talking about the natural smell of hair that hasn't been washed though, the body oils :yuck: . That happened during the time I was wasn't using shampoo--started ok, then got unbearable. I smell it on others as well
I dislike strong perfumes, but body odors are just horrid

I

I was talking about the natural smell of hair that hasn't been washed though, the body oils :yuck: . That happened during the time I was wasn't using shampoo--started ok, then got unbearable. I smell it on others as well
Oh yeah, I also have experienced that during my no-poo method period. But that was because I wasn't washing with water every day (and might I add, I also brushed my hair with this nasty boar bristle brush: it collects the nastyness from the hair and you are supposed to wash the brush instead of your hair, but of course I forgot to wash it, so it smelled pretty bad), now I do wash with water almost every day and the hair doesn't smell. I don't own that brush anymore, I don't think I'll ever buy a hair brush, even if I grow my hair out: I'll just use my fingers. It's also possible to reduce the smell by washing hat and pillow case (if you use a pillow) regularly.

Everyone has their own tastes and quirks.
Yeah... But it's very exhausting and overwhelming to get all that sensory input every time I visit the world of mutant monkeys. Oggy has jokingly said that I have a dogs sense of smell.

Hair has no logic. Sometimes something works, and sometimes that exact same thing doesn't work... That's why I don't have an method anymore or hair care routine. My "method" is that I don't care. And if you (my hair that is) mess with me, I'll cut you down.

So many different factors play a role: genetics, environment, the quality of water, your diet... I'm no expert and never will be.

Once a week does feel a bit excessive to me, but the advantage of weekly is it's easier to schedule it as just "every Tuesday" or "every Sunday" so it becomes a routine. if you say you are going to do it once every 2 weeks or once a month unless you are actually keeping some written schedule of tasks somewhere then you might just not remember to do it and it could get to 2 or 3 months.

Less often is presumably a slight money and time save and benefit to the environment so there may be a trade off.

I

Hair has no logic. Sometimes something works, and sometimes that exact same thing doesn't work... That's why I don't have an method anymore or hair care routine. My "method" is that I don't care. And if you (my hair that is) mess with me, I'll cut you down.

So many different factors play a role: genetics, environment, the quality of water, your diet... I'm no expert and never will be.
I wash my hair (and beard) when I shower, and just use the bar of soap I'm cleaning the rest of me with. I'm currently using Ivory, which I'm pretty sure is unscented. (Then again, maybe that 56/100ths of a percent that isn't pure soap is perfume! :p) I haven't tried showering without using any soap on my hair, except during the summer- I don't use air conditioning and walking is my main transportation, so of course I need to shower more often during the warm season.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
a2bc748a5f8334bf219473940aed6326

• Miss Universe R'Bonney Gabriel didn't wash her hair for two weeks while competing.
  • Gabriel told Insider she avoided daily showers so she could preserve her self-tanner.
  • She also let hairspray build up in her hair because it made her curls look "clean and crisp."

Reactions: Lou
I saw this on today's morning news. Apparently some men only change their sheets once every 4 months! I assumed that
a weekly change was the norm. However, I never iron only wash and leave to dry out in the sunshine. However, I do change
the pillowcase every other day.

I do every two weeks, but when I was a kid we changed the sheets every week. I will sometimes change the pillowcase more often, though.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas