The Minimalist Vegan

I'm sure one of the reasons I like having a capsule wardrobe is because I went to Catholic school, so I was used to wearing a uniform for years.

Uh oh...what's my excuse then?! Lol

In 1997 I left a 3 bedroom house full of stuff to move from Canada to England. I also left my then husband in that house. I arrived in England with all my possessions with me ... two suitcases, one with clothes & one with books I thought I could not replace (am I crazy? this is England, all books are here!).
I once again live in a house full of stuff but I try to keep it under control ... lots of books but I have been giving boxes of them away ... no more double stacked shelves!
I do have lots of food stored ... tins of things etc. ... must be the Cdn plan for being snowed in :)
I am interested in a minimalist wardrobe though ... plans are underway ... I work in a office at the hospital so can wear the same thing every day ... I will like that with just weekend jeans & a couple dressy frocks for events I attend with my husband ...

I keep running across suggestions for decluttering that I find very unhelpful. One is kitchen gadgets you don't need-and almost every one I use a lot, and have in the past given up and replaced
Things like an apple cutter, a pizza wheel, a thing that I guess slices eggs but does wonders for mushroom and strawberries, and immersion blender. My immersion blender just burned out and I will definitely replace it.
I'm bad for keeping papers.

I keep running across suggestions for decluttering that I find very unhelpful. One is kitchen gadgets you don't need-and almost every one I use a lot, and have in the past given up and replaced
Things like an apple cutter, a pizza wheel, a thing that I guess slices eggs but does wonders for mushroom and strawberries, and immersion blender. My immersion blender just burned out and I will definitely replace it.
I'm bad for keeping papers.
My kitchen is definitely not the problem with my cluttered existence. I, too, use just about every gadget/tool I have, as I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. :) My problem was/is clothes (I'm definitely improving in this regard), books, music and collectibles/knickknacks that I have a ridiculous attachment to. I want to get my belongings down to the point where I can live comfortably in a one-bedroom place. Ideally, I would have a huge kitchen and living room and a small bedroom with maybe a decent-sized closet. I've made progress, but I have much more to do.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Our areas of clutter tend to be in my studio and the garage these days. We're pretty good about keeping clutter to a minimum in our living areas and in (my) wardrobe. I do, however, probably have more paintbrushes, panels, paints and other art materials the I will ever need or use. :rolleyes:

My kitchen is definitely not the problem with my cluttered existence. I, too, use just about every gadget/tool I have, as I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. :) My problem was/is clothes (I'm definitely improving in this regard), books, music and collectibles/knickknacks that I have a ridiculous attachment to. I want to get my belongings down to the point where I can live comfortably in a one-bedroom place. Ideally, I would have a huge kitchen and living room and a small bedroom with maybe a decent-sized closet. I've made progress, but I have much more to do.

I have given 3 huge bags of clothes to the Dog Trust Charity during my stay in Brighton. I promised to bring them more stuff when I visit in June. I felt so much better giving these items to a charity that is dear to me.

Most of these clothes are items that were given to me.

Dogs Trust Brighton Charity Shop | Dogs Trust

Reactions: Val and PTree15
It pays to shop around if you're frugal. :up:
I have just bought 5 kg of wheat gluten for 25.17 € i.e. 2.52 €/kg. In the local health food shops a 500 g pack cost nearly 6 € which works out at nearly 12 €/kilo.

Reactions: PTree15
I'm amazed at how we keep downsizing, decluttering, clearing out four years after we moved into a smaller house. It was fast and furious at first, as we just had far too much stuff. But even now, when we've got most things settled, I will open a drawer and say (like I did this morning) - why do I have four pairs of readers in this drawer? I stopped wearing readers three years ago when I went to progressives, so at most I should keep one, just for when I have tired eyes and donate the other three. And why do I now have four pairs of progressives? Yes, I get a new pair every year because between our insurance and the low cost of glasses at costco it's a small luxury, but I can surely donate three pairs of those as well. so now I have six pairs of glasses to donate and a much cleaner drawer. :)

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I have cleared out a couple of the desks and the dog crate from the cat's room. I didn't want it left there as a reminder of my cat that died. We had to keep her up on a desk in the crate with a pillow as she was half blind and so we don't need to keep that stuff in the room now. The crate has been folded up and put in storage outside and the desks will have to go to the dump. We left them outside because often people come and take stuff if you leave it on your drive.

I have just noticed that maybe I have taken minimalism too far as my house feels very quiet and echoey!:lol:

I was going to buy some plants to put around the house, but my male cat keeps chewing the leaves of the plant I bought during the night.:pout: Maybe I might buy some artwork or mirrors for the walls instead...

The crate has been folded up and put in storage outside and the desks will have to go to the dump. We left them outside because often people come and take stuff if you leave it on your drive.

We do that too. There are alleys that run behind the houses in our neighborhood that we use for the trash bins and to get into and out of our garages (all detached here). It's well-known that if you put something in the alley, it's up for grabs and anyone can take it. I'm amazed (and grateful!) at what people will take!

I ordered the product Ecoegg on SO at QVC as a bundle. I'm trying to buy products without the plastic packaging and also use less detergents.
Apparently, I will get 956 washes as there were 2 eggs in the offer.
I calculated how many years and it comes to 15 years.
I may not even be around so may well have to leave the Ecoeggs in my will.:p

Laundry Egg - ecoegg.com

Last edited:
Indeed...:yes: Our ballet student made an experiment at school: they put a big piece of red meat into the bowl with Coca Cola, and in a week it dissolved completely, and the Coke even didn't change its color.:eek::D

Indeed. Apparently Cola drinks are useful for cleaning and getting rid of stains.

Indeed. Apparently Cola drinks are useful for cleaning and getting rid of stains.
Well, the most useful part of it is that i learned that it can be used to get rid of snails. It's a BIG problem, as we have plenty of them in our garden. So thank you.:pinkelephant: