News The Michael Brown shooting

It'll be about race until cops start killing unarmed white people as frequently as they kill unarmed Black people. Only then will we be in a post-racial society.

From a person who is much more eloquent than I, Toni Morrison:

Last edited:
It'll be about race until cops start killing unarmed white people as frequently as they kill unarmed Black people. Only then will we be in a post-racial society.

Or we could just drop the taboo against investigating why things are "tits up" that go any deeper than merely race or colour.

As I understand it, Officer Wilson's face was found not to have been fractured by Brown, but Brown was trying to take the officer's gun at one point. I honestly can't say whether or not Wilson had reason to believe his life was in danger.

But the Garner case is really different. He didn't have to die.

Another cop will not be indicted for killing an unarmed Black person:
Eighteen months after a police officer barged into a private residence and fatally shot an unarmed teenager in the bathroom of the home, the criminal case against the officer has collapsed with a grand jury’s decision to not bring charges in the case.

Ramarley Graham was just 18-years old.

And for anyone who has ever considered that one sided coins are a bit of an unlikelihood ...

Such disparities in criminal victimization mean that the police cannot target their resources at the neighborhoods that most need protection without producing racially disparate stop and arrest rates. Blacks are not just the most frequent victims of crime in New York; they are also its most frequent perpetrators. They commit about 80 percent of all shootings in the city, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime, according to victim and witness reports to the police. Whites commit barely over 1 percent of all shootings, fewer than 5 percent of all robberies, and about 5 percent of all violent crime. Add Hispanic to black shootings, and you account for 98 percent of all gun violence in New York. Virtually every time the police are looking for a shooting suspect or trying to interrupt a retali - atory shooting, in other words, they are in minority neighborhoods, following up on descriptions of black and Hispanic perpetrators. It is not the cops who are responsible for such manpower allocations, but the criminals themselves.
Manhattan Insitute For Policy Research
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/miarticle.htm?id=8756#.VIt1aHtHd2M

Those statistics are based on victim and witness reports, which I'm sure are super credible.

Yes, because an article, or whatever that thing is, that claims that 98% of all gun violence is perpetrated by Black or Brown people is super credible.

Last edited:
Reactions: FortyTwo
Oh dear. Let's not mess too much with CG's belief that 98% of gun violence is perpetrated by brown people.

My newest t-shirt has arrived:

IMG_0471_zps69fe9ade.jpg

"Proceeds go to The Ferguson Defense Fund"

Last edited:
St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch told radio station KTRS that he let some witnesses testify "even though their statements were not accurate."

#shocking

more

Another police officer will not be indicted for killing an unarmed Black person, this time in Houston.
A Harris County grand jury today has cleared a Houston police officer in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man in January.
Jordan Baker was just 26-years old.

Killing an unarmed citizen will not get you disciplined, but calling said unarmed citizen's memorial a 'pile of trash' will:

The Ferguson, Missouri police spokesman who called the Michael Brown memorial "a pile of trash" has been placed on unpaid leave while disciplinary proceedings begin, the City of Ferguson said. The makeshift memorial is a collection of candles, flowers, notes and other mementos left at the site where a police officer killed the unarmed 18-year-old in an altercation on Aug. 9.

I remember reading about the idea for a gun that police could have that would, base upon fingerprint detection on the gun(or something like that), would only work for that police person. I gather that police are occasionally killed with their own gun.

Weapons
  • Of officers killed in 2011, most (63) were killed with firearms. Of these, 50 were killed with handguns. (A breakdown of the types of weapons used in these slayings is provided in Table 27.)
  • 5 officers had their weapons stolen.
  • 3 officers were killed with their own weapons.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...eloniously-killed/officers-feloniously-killed

It's easy to cherry pick articles from around the country to support your position. How about some stats comparing the number of white and black people shot in Ferguson by cops when trying to grab their gun after committing robbery and assault.

I'm not denying that black people are arrested and shot more often than white people, but in this instance I don't think he was shot because of race, he was shot because he was a criminal committing a crime.

I think people are having a problem with the protesting because they chose to use a criminal as the face of the 'movement'. Had they used someone like Trayvon Martin, who wasn't doing anything wrong, or even Eric Garner, they would have more people on their side instead of this big split.