News The Michael Brown shooting

Maybe one could also say to some extent, generally speaking, there is a lack of trust between blacks and whites (in the US)?
I think all races experience some feelings of racism to other races. I'm sure black people feel racist towards white people, just as much as white people to black.....I think it's because the brain finds it hard to have a gestalt when seeing some races faces. I think it is like an imprint; the brain learns to recognise people who are around them as they grow up....for some black people, they probably find it easier to recognise white people, if they grew up around white people, and some white people will recognise black people better, I guess, if they were brought up with a lot of black people around them.
If people can't get a gestalt about a face, then there is distrust, and fear, which emerges as anger and hate.....fear and hate are strongly connected, I think.

If people can't get a gestalt about a face, then there is distrust, and fear, which emerges as anger and hate.....fear and hate are strongly connected, I think.

This. In general, I believe fear manifests itself as anger. But fear denotes a sense of weakness where anger gives a false idea of strength. I think this is the root to a lot of issues between different people.

Maybe not so much in the case of law enforcement, but people in general.

I don't know the details of what happened very well in this case, and it seems there were some conflicting accounts. In any case, perhaps the larger issue here is a lack of trust in particular between the black population and the police forces. Maybe one could also say to some extent, generally speaking, there is a lack of trust between blacks and whites (in the US)?
I think it is more a lack of trust between the police and people of color.

This. In general, I believe fear manifests itself as anger. But fear denotes a sense of weakness where anger gives a false idea of strength. I think this is the root to a lot of issues between different people.

Exactly right.

Fear and 'fury' are two sides of the exact same coin; Flight or Fight syndrome.

Reactions: Tom L.
In Portland, this young man was holding a 'Free Hugs' sign during the protests. The cop talked to him for awhile, then collected his hug.

10494722_10152900313514085_7592945853261160351_n.jpg

Another cop will not be indicted for killing an unarmed Black person. Eric Garner was choked to death for selling loose cigarettes. The whole thing is on tape.

source

Another cop will not be indicted for killing an unarmed Black person. Eric Garner was choked to death for selling loose cigarettes. The whole thing is on tape.

source

I saw the video. Why they didn't, at the very least, choose reckless endangerment is beyond me.

"The case exposed apparent lapses in police tactics – chokeholds are banned by the Police Department’s own guidelines – and raised questions about the aggressive policing of minor offenses in a time of historically low crime."

source
It's a much more obvious case for me than the Michael Brown case. There should have been harsh punishment for that.

I'm still 100% in support of Wilson, though I know that's an unpopular stance on this board. I'm not sure what went on in the proceedings in NY though.

Both in Nevada as part of a riot control team and here in Canada with Ontario Corrections, when training for takedowns and applying restraints, avoiding the use of techniques that increase the chances of positional asphyxiation is always a focus, especially when dealing with people who are overweight. Any type of chokehold is absolutely not authorized because of that danger unless you can prove it was the only option to prevent serious injury to yourself or someone else, which is unlikely since you already have to have a dominant position in order to get a choke hold like that in the first place. Even when no injuries are reported, I've never seen someone use a chokehold and not get disciplined or charged with something.

This is a ****ing joke. Unbelievable.

It's unbelievable because it isn't true, Ded.

Eric Garner was not choked to death for selling loose cigarettes.

Eric Garner was choked to death for resisting arrest.

If you watch the video with unspangled eyes you can see that as clear as day.

It's unbelievable because it isn't true, Ded.

Eric Garner was not choked to death for selling loose cigarettes.

If you watch the video with unspangled eyes you can see that as clear as day.

I'm afraid I disagree with you 100% on this one, CG. 1) There is the question of whether what he was doing is even an arrestable offense. 2) If you have 5 cops on the scene and can't subdue a citizen without killing them - you have no business being a cop. See my previous post on Peace officers. Even IF Garner had resisted arrest, once he was on the ground - why the hell would there be a necessity to continue the stranglehold? 3) The choke hold used on Garner was banned by the police force itself. The whole thing stinks.

What I see clear as day is murder.

I heard this faulty logic: "If Eric Garner had not resisted arrest, then none of this would have happened."

Let's try this: If deadly force hadn't been used against someone committing a simple misdemeanor, none of this would have happened.

Or: If the very short, undersized cop didn't have insecurity issues because of his size, he wouldn't have felt the need to come up behind a much larger man to unsuspectingly crush his windpipe, and none of this would have happened.

How about this one: If one or more of the 5 cops on the scene had put the entire event into proper perspective, none of this would have happened.

On presumed white innocence and Black guilt:
This is the way white innocence is supposed to work: black people, and people of color more generally, are always guilty even when they are not charged with a crime. And when black people are charged with a crime they are oftentimes wrongfully accused. This holds true all the way from the angry mobs of the 1890s, to the endless imprisonment without crime of Muslim men in Guantanamo, to the lack of prosecution for the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown. This is a white man's country and the white man’s rule of law must rule.

more