Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I think the tone is really condescending and overly sentimental.

Everyone knows that COVID vaccines are intended to prevent COVID. The anti-vaccine crowd doesn't need to be bribed with images of people hugging.

They're sugarcoating everything and dodging the real issues. It's counter-productive.

(Speaking as someone who is pro-vaccine, eager to get vaccinated, and also aware of many of the issues that led to the anti-vaccine response - it's complex and should not be glossed over.)
I didn't get that at all.
Although you make a good point that it's trying to appeal to the anti-vexers. I definitely didn't think of that while I was watching it.
I saw it more targeted to the middle of the crowd. People who want to get the vaccine but haven't made the time or effort or are waiting to see what happens.

Reactions: Emma JC
I didn't get that at all.
Although you make a good point that it's trying to appeal to the anti-vexers. I definitely didn't think of that while I was watching it.
I saw it more targeted to the middle of the crowd. People who want to get the vaccine but haven't made the time or effort or are waiting to see what happens.

I think most people are either for or against the vaccine at this point. The ones who haven't gotten it yet are either anti-vax or they haven't been able to get it. It's a slap in the face to the latter group. A lot of people want the vaccine, but it hasn't been available yet. And it trivializes the reasons that there's an anti-vax movement, from the bubble mentality and associated isms to distrust of science to legitimate concerns (I don't want to generalize - people can be anti-vax for all kinds of reasons).

My husband got his first jab yesterday. He had to wait about 45 minutes as it was very busy in there. I was quite shocked as most people online and that I know said it was like clockwork and very efficient so maybe he was just unlucky. He feels fine and hasn't had any side effects so far.

I checked when I'm supposed to get my first Covid vaccine on the online calculator and it says May to July!:rolleyes:

Expect to see lots of ads like this on TV and YouTube in the near future.
This one had me tearing up a little.

Apparently it's the Ad Council's new campaign 'It's Up to You' which will be airing multiple TV ads in the coming weeks.

I think that it's a shame that so much money has to be spent in this way and wonder whether other types of communication could
be put into place for those who hesitate to get the vaccine. This is going to be a major concern to many governments as a high number
of the population will have to be vaccinated to obtain herd immunity.
Over here in France they have the highest number of anti vaxers in Europe so it's a huge concern for the government. It was so irresponsable of Macron to bash the Oxford Zenica vaccine and apparently they have stocks of it lying around.

Being an outsider all that I retained from the ad was the Verizon brand and not the message. It aims to receive an emotional response but
leaves me wondering what is the exact message? It didn't work for me and I didn't feel any emotions as I didn't get the message.

The moral of the story is that just a few months ago, the world didn't have a covid vaccine and now that multiple ones are available, we are forking out huge amounts of money to coax people into getting them.

The ad campaign from The Ad Council will include more than $500 million in donated media and talent. It launched Thursday and will slowly change as the landscape of who’s eligible for vaccine and what questions they have shifts.

Some of the ads will be seen broadly on television, but they will be especially focused on communities with high levels of vaccine hesitancy, especially Hispanic and Black communities. That will include campaigns that are credible and culturally relevant. The overall message is the same, but it might be presented slightly differently.

“For the Hispanic population, there’s more of an emotive angle,” said Charysse Nunez.

My husband got his first jab yesterday. He had to wait about 45 minutes as it was very busy in there. I was quite shocked as most people online and that I know said it was like clockwork and very efficient so maybe he was just unlucky. He feels fine and hasn't had any side effects so far.

I checked when I'm supposed to get my first Covid vaccine on the online calculator and it says May to July!:rolleyes:

I'm so desperate to get my jab, that I'd wait all day long if necessary. :D

Apparently it's the Ad Council's new campaign 'It's Up to You' which will be airing multiple TV ads in the coming weeks.

Being an outsider all that I retained from the ad was the Verizon brand and not the message. It aims to receive an emotional response but
leaves me wondering what is the exact message? It didn't work for me and I didn't feel any emotions as I didn't get the message.
Oh. I just learned by accident, I could split up a quote.
this is nice to know.
I absolutely got the message - like I said - I teared a little by the end. But I've always been a sucker for Hallmark ads.
The message I thought was pretty blatant. "Look what you are missing!"

Some of the ads will be seen broadly on television, but they will be especially focused on communities with high levels of vaccine hesitancy, especially Hispanic and Black communities. That will include campaigns that are credible and culturally relevant. The overall message is the same, but it might be presented slightly differently.

“For the Hispanic population, there’s more of an emotive angle,” said Charysse Nunez.

That was my first impression. that the ad was not targeted to AntiVaxers or ProVaxers but the people in between. I like that term: Vaccine Hesitancy. I haven't seen any polls, but I would guess in the USA there are a 100 million of those.

BTW, the rollout in San Mateo County is going silky smooth. My experience at my HMO was A+. One of my neighbors went to the Civic Center where they are doing in your car jabs. And he said that if anything it was overstaffed. The only significant wait time was the "observation period" after the shot. and he said that was extremely well executed.

They even had the deal I have heard about. If you drove your grandma, you got a shot, too. He said the the cars most commonly had two old people in it. The number of single occupancy cars was surprisingly low.

And in the county, we have two drive in sites. One at the civic center and one in long term parking at the airport. In a couple of days they are starting Free Bus service to the Civic Center and setting up a Walk Thru.

Oh, one more BTW. My two friends who are in their 80s, both got covid and both pulled through. They were not in good health to start off with so I'm still somewhat amazed but super happy. They are happy too.

Reactions: Raven and 1956
Just googled it and got this.

Only 7% would definitely refuse a Covid vaccine, according to a poll published last week by JL Partners. But around one in five are reluctant to some degree, with women more likely than men to believe it hasn’t been tested thoroughly enough. It’s these wobbling “vaccine hesitants” who could most easily be swayed by something their friend puts on Facebook; who’d rather wait and see what happens when others have the jab.

Just googled it and got this.

Only 7% would definitely refuse a Covid vaccine, according to a poll published last week by JL Partners. But around one in five are reluctant to some degree, with women more likely than men to believe it hasn’t been tested thoroughly enough. It’s these wobbling “vaccine hesitants” who could most easily be swayed by something their friend puts on Facebook; who’d rather wait and see what happens when others have the jab.

I am in the group eligible to get the vaccine (elderly), but have not signed up to be vaccinated yet. I have a very specific reason for putting off getting the vaccine.

I have been living in almost complete isolation since the beginning of the pandemic. My food is delivered or I online shop, drive to the store, they put it in my trunk, and I drive away. If my daughter shops for me, she leaves it in my trunk, and I bring it in. The few times that I have had face to face contact with members of my family, we were masked (I was wearing a triple layer cloth mask with a 5 stage filter in the insert pocket), and we stood on opposite sides of the room.. When I check the mailbox, I wear gloves.

I can afford to self isolate. My children, and grandchildren, come and wave at me at the window. When the weather improves we can socially distance outside, like we did last summer

I decided to wait until there isn't a shortage. I see the long lines of people who can't afford to self isolate, like my children and grandchildren. All of the people working in the stores that need to be vaccinated.

I can wait, other people can't.

I am in the group eligible to get the vaccine (elderly), but have not signed up to be vaccinated yet. I have a very specific reason for putting off getting the vaccine.

I have been living in almost complete isolation since the beginning of the pandemic. My food is delivered or I online shop, drive to the store, they put it in my trunk, and I drive away. If my daughter shops for me, she leaves it in my trunk, and I bring it in. The few times that I have had face to face contact with members of my family, we were masked (I was wearing a triple layer cloth mask with a 5 stage filter in the insert pocket), and we stood on opposite sides of the room.. When I check the mailbox, I wear gloves.

I can afford to self isolate. My children, and grandchildren, come and wave at me at the window. When the weather improves we can socially distance outside, like we did last summer

I decided to wait until there isn't a shortage. I see the long lines of people who can't afford to self isolate, like my children and grandchildren. All of the people working in the stores that need to be vaccinated.

That is really thoughtful of you. :rose:

You are an inspiration @LoreD! Sounds like you are truly making the best out of this Very bad situation, very glad that you have decided to join the forum and share your thoughts...at 67 though I wouldn’t think of you as elderly, I will be 65 this year and I certainly don’t think of myself as elderly!

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
You are an inspiration @LoreD! Sounds like you are truly making the best out of this Very bad situation, very glad that you have decided to join the forum and share your thoughts...at 67 though I wouldn’t think of you as elderly, I will be 65 this year and I certainly don’t think of myself as elderly!

Actually, I don't think of myself as elderly (except when it is a benefit, like a discount or guilt tripping my children or grandchildren).

I just meant that I am in the "elderly category" for vaccine eligibility.

Actually, I don't think of myself as elderly (except when it is a benefit, like a discount or guilt tripping my children or grandchildren).

I just meant that I am in the "elderly category" for vaccine eligibility.
Ha ha! Yeah, I know what you mean there are times when the label is useful...
I will get a free bus and travel pass either this year or next, if they don’t raise the age limit again...

Ha ha! Yeah, I know what you mean there are times when the label is useful...
I will get a free bus and travel pass either this year or next, if they don’t raise the age limit again...
The PC term is Seniors. or it you want to get technical/medical Geriatric .

:)

• Wow
They are going to vaccinate people by their age, not their occupation now. After the current phase the next roll out will be people in their forties, woo hoo.

The following groups should be prioritised, once all at-risk groups in phase one have been offered at least one dose of the vaccine (by mid-April):
  • all those aged 40-49 years
  • all those aged 30-39 years
  • all those aged 18-29 years

Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
So on tv last night, Rachel Maddow showed a result from a poll, something like 70% of Democrats are planning on getting the vaccine. Only 35% of Republicans plan on getting the vaccine. Also 7% of Democrats weren't sure. But 15% of Republicans weren't sure.

When I look at those numbers I first think, oh good. next year: less Republicans. Then I smack myself.

Then I think that those ad council dollars are being well spent. I don't see the majority of Republicans being hard core anti-vaxers. they just think that getting a shot is what the Biden admin wants them to do. But now that its reported that Trump got vaccinated last month. And is now taking credit for the vaccine, maybe their minds will change.

In the better late than never category.

San Mateo City (where I live) just passed hazard pay for grocery workers.

SAN MATEO, CA — The city of San Mateo adopted $5 hazard pay for grocery store employees during a city council meeting on Monday due to the risks of working on the frontlines during the pandemic.​
The ordinance, approved unanimously by the council, will be in effect for 90 days and apply to stores in San Mateo that have over 750 employees nationwide, excluding franchisees. In addition to an extra $5 an hour of pay, employees will also receive four hours of paid leave to get their COVID-19 vaccinations.​

In the better late than never category.

San Mateo City (where I live) just passed hazard pay for grocery workers.

SAN MATEO, CA — The city of San Mateo adopted $5 hazard pay for grocery store employees during a city council meeting on Monday due to the risks of working on the frontlines during the pandemic.​
The ordinance, approved unanimously by the council, will be in effect for 90 days and apply to stores in San Mateo that have over 750 employees nationwide, excluding franchisees. In addition to an extra $5 an hour of pay, employees will also receive four hours of paid leave to get their COVID-19 vaccinations.​
Awesome news!