Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I got Moderna and it’s four weeks. I think Pfizer is three.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I think this was only supposed to be a few weeks but the government decided to try and get as many their first jab as possible, which meant stretching out the time between jabs.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
MOD POST: I have moved the discussion, 'Covid vaccine-do you believe the scientists' into the Lounge. The highly interesting debate including many theories was sandwiched in between the other, more general covid related posts.

As the daily covid related information is moving at lightning speed, we don't want it to get lost within the discussion.

Please continue to discuss the above topic in the given forum.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Some interesting facts and good news :

"spectacular" impact on stopping serious illness, researchers say.
Within weeks, one shot reduces the risk of being admitted to hospital by at least three-quarters for the over 80s.
Researchers said this was particularly impressive as this age group was the most frail and least likely to have a strong immune response.''

Reactions: Raven
We had a government briefing yesterday where they laid out the plans for the next few months. So, it looks like I can get my hair cut in April and go out properly to an indoor pub or restaurant in May.

I can't even imagine that now. I'm wondering if I'm going to find it weird to be surrounded by so many people once everything gets back to normal here.

We had a government briefing yesterday where they laid out the plans for the next few months. So, it looks like I can get my hair cut in April and go out properly to an indoor pub or restaurant in May.

I can't even imagine that now. I'm wondering if I'm going to find it weird to be surrounded by so many people once everything gets back to normal here.

I won't even have had my first jab by then!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I won't even have had my first jab by then!
I was talking about you to my MIL yesterday as I was saying that you hoped you could get your jab earlier as so many people are anti-vax in France!

She was saying she has heard about people in their forties getting the first jab already. I'm hoping I have mine by May, but it might not be.

• Haha
Reactions: shyvas
I was talking about you to my MIL yesterday as I was saying that you hoped you could get your jab earlier as so many people are anti-vax in France!

She was saying she has heard about people in their forties getting the first jab already. I'm hoping I have mine by May, but it might not be.

LoL, there are many of the +75's who still haven't even managed to secure an appointment for their first jab. Everything is so slow over here and the group that wish to get the vaccine are getting seriously impatient.

I was mistaken about being able to get mine earlier, as France hasn't secured enough vaccines. Moreover, they refuse to give the Oxford Z jab to the +65's.

Some interesting facts coming form Israel. European scientists are eagerly awaiting more data:

''Israel’s Health Ministry said Saturday that coronavirus vaccines were “dramatically” effective and the latest data shows the shots were 98.9% effective at preventing death caused by COVID-19.''

“Thanks to Israel’s strong health system that has allowed us to vaccinate an unprecedented wide percentage of the population, and our epidemiological tracking facilities, we are the first country in the world that can show the effect of the vaccine in the real clinical world,” said Levy.

Reactions: KLS52
The EU is holding a summit in Brussels today. They will discuss the reasons why the vaccine roll out is so slow.

EU leaders meet Thursday under pressure to speed up Europe's coronavirus vaccine rollout, and divided over border closures and what introducing vaccine travel certificates could mean.

The video summit for the leaders of the 27-nation bloc comes a year into the Covid-19 crisis, as most of the EU is experiencing a second wave of cases -- or a third wave for some -- that stubbornly won't diminish

TCovid-19: EU summit to tackle slow vaccine rollout, travel certificates

Reactions: 1956 and Emma JC
The Covax scheme has began it's roll out.:)

Ghana has become the first country in the world to receive vaccines acquired through the United Nations-backed COVAX initiative with a delivery Wednesday of 600,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine made by the Serum Institute of India.

Expect to see lots of ads like this on TV and YouTube in the near future.
This one had me tearing up a little.

I think the tone is really condescending and overly sentimental.

Everyone knows that COVID vaccines are intended to prevent COVID. The anti-vaccine crowd doesn't need to be bribed with images of people hugging.

They're sugarcoating everything and dodging the real issues. It's counter-productive.

(Speaking as someone who is pro-vaccine, eager to get vaccinated, and also aware of many of the issues that led to the anti-vaccine response - it's complex and should not be glossed over.)