Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I hate that some people have jobs where, if they don’t work, they don’t get paid. It’s an awful position to be in.
That is the situation for a lot of service and retail workers like myself. The government saying they will make sure we get paid by giving the corporations tax breaks is not that comforting. I hope TJ Maxx stays open and I keep working. I don't trust them or the government.

That is the situation for a lot of service and retail workers like myself. The government saying they will make sure we get paid by giving the corporations tax breaks is not that comforting. I hope TJ Maxx stays open and I keep working. I don't trust them or the government.
My son has a retail job and he's really worried. They haven't been getting shipments and people are canceling orders they were promised.
I'm not too concerned about losing my job but hours may be cut to 40 hours

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I work at a hospital and expect to see zero real world change here where I live, UNLESS covid19 lasts beyond May. If it does, expect to hear about the entirety of Acadia national park and surrounding villages being completely shut down. We get hundreds of cruise ships, thousands of bus tours, and a total of 2+million people packing themselves in to the village center and surrounding island attractions, more than half of them from outside of the US.

• Friendly
  • Sad
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
I went shopping yesterday for pet food. Costco was entirely out of paper products. People were buying makeup removal packs, presumably to use in lieu of toilet paper. There are going to be a lot of clogged pipes, unless people refrain from trying to flush them, paper towels, etc., which I doubt.

I also went to two Aldis, and much of the shelving was completely bare. The only items people aren't buying are fresh fruits and vegetables. Canned goods are gone, all paper products are gone, most dry goods are gone.

All the local Aldis are going to be open for shorter hours for the foreseeable future. Walmart is announcing the same.

My concern is being able to reliably buy food and medicine for the nonhuman members of the household.

With all this panic buying, I am just awaiting the "mini recession" following this summer when people don't have to buy anything for awhile. That does remind me, though. I need to start getting a proper pantry set up in case the bridge here were to go out, 4 weeks of canned foods is not enough, unless I want to swim to the main land.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
With all this panic buying, I am just awaiting the "mini recession" following this summer when people don't have to buy anything for awhile. That does remind me, though. I need to start getting a proper pantry set up in case the bridge here were to go out, 4 weeks of canned foods is not enough, unless I want to swim to the main land.
I don't think there's going to be a mini recession due to a gap in buying while stockpiled items are used up. There's going to be a real recession, because hourly workers are already having their hours cut or their jobs eliminated entirely. Despite the panic buying, overall consumer spending has already fallen by a percentage that normally triggers a significant recession.

Add to that the Russia/Saudi Arabia oil price dispute which would be enough to trigger a recession all by itself.

Add to that the fact that the world economy was already teetering on the edge due to trump's tariff wars, Brexit, and other major instabilities.

I just found out that my older brother (70+) his wife, and some of their children/grandchildren and various other family members (17 altogether) are in Florida. They were supposed to be going on a cruise this weekend which was cancelled. Now they are all stuck there trying to get flights home.

I did a bit of research and suggested that they charter a jet for them all. I don't think they are going to do it but I think it would be wise. Their answer was that there are more cases in Ontario than in Florida and I suspect it is a case of there are more "known" cases rather than actual cases. Canada has only had one death from it. Now I have done some research and my brother is wrong, there are more known cases in Florida than in Ontario and as Canada has done the same number of tests for a population of 35,000,000 as the USA has done, I suspect there are more unknown in Florida than in Ontario. I, personally, would do almost anything not to get on a plane full of people and stand in airports full of people.

I need to go shopping to distract myself..... LOL.

Emma JC
Edit: I know I know why were they going on the cruise anyways? I have no idea and didn't know it was happening and they likely didn't tell me as I would have had a lot to "suggest" about why they shouldn't. :argh:

Add to that the Russia/Saudi Arabia oil price dispute which would be enough to trigger a recession all by itself.
Uggghhh ooohhhh...:hmm: Can you imagine that? Other countries, that receive russian oil constantly, and those that are deprived of normal volumes of russian oil now, are suffering because of that son of a b*tсн, Lukashenko (and all Belarus' government). Because in January, Belarus' government (and LukashenkA) decided to raise the payment for oil delivery through the territory of Belarus. He (LukashenkA) wanted to take a ridiculous price from Russia. Putin disagreed. (That's why LukashenkA called Putin a "very unpleasant and rough negotiator"). But what else could Putin do? He's somewhat defending his country's interests. Anyway, it's a never ending story.
So, i read on the news that Minsk is going to take advantage of another negotiations, when/IF they take place in summer. Meanwhile, Minsk is taking a revenge. They abruptly and drastically decreased the volume of delivered oil through their territory, therefore other countries don't get enough, but if they want to get enough of russian oil (controlled by Belarus!),- they have to pay twice the price. Sounds ridiculous, but, in a nutshell, that's the story.
What's bugging me most, is that Trump (yesterday, it seems to me) has put another set of sanctions on Russia. It's not that anyone is surprised, but... while we're all are affected by this worldwide crisis, (all) governments could have thought of reuniting against covid and its horrible consequences. But they continue their vicious games instead. Well, they think that they can improve one country's economics by ruining another's. IMO, it won't work. I'm not justifying anyone, but what's going on with russian oil now, is merely disgusting. I've no idea to what extent the US depend on russian oil, but i feel really bad for those ordinary people who's suffering (and will suffer) because of this story and dirty politicians' games.:pout:

I went shopping yesterday for pet food. Costco was entirely out of paper products. People were buying makeup removal packs, presumably to use in lieu of toilet paper. There are going to be a lot of clogged pipes, unless people refrain from trying to flush them, paper towels, etc., which I doubt.

I also went to two Aldis, and much of the shelving was completely bare. The only items people aren't buying are fresh fruits and vegetables. Canned goods are gone, all paper products are gone, most dry goods are gone.

All the local Aldis are going to be open for shorter hours for the foreseeable future. Walmart is announcing the same.

My concern is being able to reliably buy food and medicine for the nonhuman members of the household.
Aldi was the most cleaned out- I don't think they were restricting quantiites. Yesterday I went shopping and the discount store Marcs had all stuff, but was limiting things to 2 products per customer. A local produce market had a stock of 4 packs of a weird brand TP for $1.50. They just brought that in for the time being, as they don't normally sell paper stuffs! I thought that was very nice. Love that store

Walmart online seems done with the price gouging. They had antibacterial wipes over $75. for a regular sized pack when this first started!

I'm now noticing how often I use things. I go through coffee faster than I thought, as I always have another on hand and don't think about it Same with dried beans. I get both from Aldi and never think about it, just stock up

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
For those bidet users amongst us, don't you need TP or a cloth of some kind to dry off? I've only used old fashioned bidets, and while I may have been using them incorrectly :???: , afterward, I was wet!

That is a correct observation. When living in Malaysia, where every toilet is fixed with such a bidet hose and spray nozzle, I typically used TP to dry myself after using it (not perfect, but better IMO than soggy underwear).

The more attractive Japanese toilets offer a heated airstream to dry you again. That's luxury for you.

For those bidet users amongst us, don't you need TP or a cloth of some kind to dry off? I've only used old fashioned bidets, and while I may have been using them incorrectly :???: , afterward, I was wet!

You can air dry if you're willing to wait, otherwise a cloth is recommended. There should be nothing returned on doing so, bidet does a great job, however it's important to relax and welcome the flow - else you might get returns and need to change your drying material frequently.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
@Nekodaiden -while I hate conspiracy theories it isn't like I don't believe there's some truth in them. I just accept the fact I don't know and try not to overthink. What I'm seeing is a lot of low people who are going to be effected unless they have a job profiting off this, and those with expendible money are going to again profit

People have been spreading so many rumors based on what they've "heard" from "sources" about this town shutting down this week.
I just may go get some more coffee...and black beans.....

I just found out that my older brother (70+) his wife, and some of their children/grandchildren and various other family members (17 altogether) are in Florida. They were supposed to be going on a cruise this weekend which was cancelled. Now they are all stuck there trying to get flights home.

I did a bit of research and suggested that they charter a jet for them all. I don't think they are going to do it but I think it would be wise. Their answer was that there are more cases in Ontario than in Florida and I suspect it is a case of there are more "known" cases rather than actual cases. Canada has only had one death from it. Now I have done some research and my brother is wrong, there are more known cases in Florida than in Ontario and as Canada has done the same number of tests for a population of 35,000,000 as the USA has done, I suspect there are more unknown in Florida than in Ontario. I, personally, would do almost anything not to get on a plane full of people and stand in airports full of people.

I need to go shopping to distract myself..... LOL.

Emma JC
Edit: I know I know why were they going on the cruise anyways? I have no idea and didn't know it was happening and they likely didn't tell me as I would have had a lot to "suggest" about why they shouldn't. :argh:
I hope they make it home safely.

• Love
  • Agree
Just out of curiosity -

How many vegans here have gotten the flu since going vegan? I used to get it fairly frequently as a kid, but I also grew up in the USA where dairy (at that time especially) was promoted all the time. I remember coming home after school and draining 1/4 or more of a gallon of milk in a single sitting. Then there was ice cream, lots of it.

As mentioned before, I haven't gotten the flu in many years, and that seemed to coincide with a great reduction in dairy in particular (although I still used small amounts of it before going vegan, like in coffee), and also pork and shellfish, although I think dairy was the biggest culprit. I also have friends who get the flu yearly or nearly yearly and even though I've been around them while they were sick, I've never "caught it" from them.

Since I've experienced this and also because of various reading I've come to doubt the germ theory of disease (at least as it relates to things like the flu, I still believe in various STD's ) - and this theory of traveling germs taking up residence in people and then spreading through hand to hand/ air contact is the whole basis of the current "crisis".

So anyway, how many vegans have gotten the flu since becoming vegan (and not counting times where they may have cheated on their diet)?

• Informative
@Nekodaiden - I've gotten the flu vaccine a couple years after it was formulated, because of how bad a cold, allergy or flu, would trigger my asthma. I went without getting it until the beginning of 2018 when about 90% of the people I work with got it. I had a high fever, chills, aches, cough, stayed home a Thurs, friday- then sunday went to urgent care for a nebulizer breathing treatment- still home mon and tues. Only 18 people were at my work during that time! Anyway, that did worry me, and I was dairy free.
Staying vegan has greatly reduced my asthma triggers and allergies, though I do still have them. When I stayed wfpb, Dr Gregers daily dozen strict, I was far better!
Germ transmission is only as effective in taking hold as the health of the recipient. A while back loads of people I work with were sick and I did feel a swollen gland on the side of my neck and got worried, but it went away fast and I've been fine.

I think people are really finding how bad dairy is for them and maybe this scare will further kill the dairy production!

I became vegan in 2007. In 2008, I had what I am pretty sure is the flu (maybe it was swine flu at that time). I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed for days. That is the last time I have been that ill. I never get the flu shot. I do think the vegan diet "cures" quite a few ailments and perhaps prevents others. I know dairy is extremely bad for creating congestion. I credit my strong immune system to the fact I worked in the child care industry for years around sick kids all the time. I think the body builds up immunity from exposure. Of course, now that I am older I am getting a little worried about my immune system weakening.

I've always had a good immune system. I've had the flu three times in my life, to my knowledge, the last time two years ago.

All my adult life, I did get a severe cold once a year, almost always at the end of the year. I have always attributed that to it being an especially busy time at work, with long hours and added social obligations. I have not had a cold since I stopped working, because I don't get rundown in the same way, and because I am not constantly around other humans.

I did not experience any change in health associated with change in diet.

People were buying makeup removal packs, presumably to use in lieu of toilet paper. There are going to be a lot of clogged pipes, unless people refrain from trying to flush them, paper towels, etc., which I doubt.

I knew paper towels clogged pipes, but to my surprise, facial tissues can clog pipes too.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity -

How many vegans here have gotten the flu since going vegan? I used to get it fairly frequently as a kid, but I also grew up in the USA where dairy (at that time especially) was promoted all the time. I remember coming home after school and draining 1/4 or more of a gallon of milk in a single sitting. Then there was ice cream, lots of it.

As mentioned before, I haven't gotten the flu in many years, and that seemed to coincide with a great reduction in dairy in particular (although I still used small amounts of it before going vegan, like in coffee), and also pork and shellfish, although I think dairy was the biggest culprit. I also have friends who get the flu yearly or nearly yearly and even though I've been around them while they were sick, I've never "caught it" from them.

Since I've experienced this and also because of various reading I've come to doubt the germ theory of disease (at least as it relates to things like the flu, I still believe in various STD's ) - and this theory of traveling germs taking up residence in people and then spreading through hand to hand/ air contact is the whole basis of the current "crisis".

So anyway, how many vegans have gotten the flu since becoming vegan (and not counting times where they may have cheated on their diet)?
I DID get the flu last year, and it nearly cost me my hearing ability!!! (Well, sounds dumb, i know, but it's a complicated and sad story). I'd never gotten any flu since childhood. I occured to have a vaccine only once (during my 3rd year at the Conservatoire). But no more vaccines were performed on me. Since then i met a lot of people who really had flu, but it never affected me (i wasn't kissing them though or staying by their side for too long,- long enough for my immune system to surrender).
But last year (on Feb.13th), i was at work, where i usually have to sit and play (like a robot). Students always stand at the bar and make exercise, and then dance "in the middle". The one who stands closer to me, usually exhales his saliva (pardon me) right into my face, and i've got nothing to do about it. So, one boy came to school being very very sick (he had a new variety of flu, - a very fierce strain), and he was breathing me in the face for 2.5 hrs. So i got contaminated eventually. First, i had fever (not very awful, but only because i was using "Tera Flu" powder). I couldn't stay at home and had to go to work with this fever, 5 days in a row (from Monday to Friday)! Then, on Saturday, early in the morning, i realized that the fever was gone, but a severe conjunctivitis appeared (i'd never ever had conjunctivitis before that case, so i was kinda shocked). I "killed" this conjunctivitis with Ciprofloxacine drops. I decided that my ordeal were over... but on Sunday morning, a severe tonsillitis and otitis appeared! First, i would pour Ciprofloxacine drops into my inner ears (because both ears hurt fiercely, and i could barely hear something!!!). It helped a few times (at least, i managed to play at the competition!) But, very soon it wouldn't help anymore, and i started panicking. My entire life (including my career) was at risk. So i obtained A LOT of Ciprofloxacine pills (of the highest doze possible), - don't ask me how i did it without any prescription, - and began taking them. When the time to stop came, it didn't work! My ears would hurt again, and again, and again! So i was taking antibiotics for more than 2.5 months (maybe 3 months, i'm not sure). I was doomed. But "higher power" intervened and saved me. Since then, i'm afraid that tonsillitis might come back. And it happened this year, just a few days ago! (It wasn't severe though). I devoured tons of "Grammidine neo" tablets, and it was gone, thankfully, uggghhh. Slight signs of tonsillitis remained, but i'm working on it.
Why am i telling this? Because, even relatively strong individuals, like me, might get into an unlucky dangerous situation, where just a "bad luck" may have an impact on their health, and ALL preventive measures, ALL their strength and splendid immune system will be helpless against some aggressive new strain of *insert a name*, which will attack an individual and merely make a breach in one's immune system, that will become a doorgate for malicious bacteriae that permanently dwell inside the body, or yet want to penetrate there.
In a nutshell, this year, i went to our local clinic, and had a vaccine shot done (against common flu strains that had been expected this year). I'm not a huge fan of vaccination METHODS, but... i have had every vaccine that was possible in my life, including anti-Hep.B, and measles, etc., and i don't regret.
All that i've said, doesn't mean that being vegan is useless for the immunity health. Since i went vegan, i became more cold-proof (people stare at me in awe, when i'm walking in my summer top only, while others are wearing fur coats).😁 But you know, better safe than sorry...:sheep:

Last edited: