Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I don’t see the fear of death/getting sick as the main issue. I think it’s more the inconvenience of being quarantined and having activities/classes, etc., cancelled. For the most part we are selfish/spoiled creatures and we don’t like having an interruption in what we perceive to be “the norm”. I think that’s what the hoarding is all about.

And if I may address the issue of old people, I am 68 years old and I don’t think that qualifies me for being more expendable or people not taking this situation seriously enough because they are not likely to get really sick and/or die because they are younger so, therefore, have more of a right to live. :dismay:

Many senior-aged people have very active social lives.

I do not think Covid19 is going to be the beginning of the “end of days”.
Thank you. This attitude that older people are expendable is horrible, like we don't matter. We have lives, too, and very fulfilling ones at that.

There are a lot of households in my area with kids, so with the kids home it makes sense that there would be more bathroom visits. So I thought it was local people engaging in panic buying.

Nope, it's assholes taking advantage of the situation, who bought loads of TP, masks and hand sanitizer when the virus first hit the news.

Like this guy:

The article actually tries to make him the victim, because Amazon and Ebay won't let him sell his inventory for exorbitant prices. Boo hoo...

I bet Martin Shkreli is his hero.
I'm happy to say despite his claims that he meant no harm, the state is investigating him, and today, it was reported that he's donating the hand sanitizer to first responders and local churches. Price gouging is the lowest of the low.

Up until a few days ago I have been going to a Medical Center/Hospital everyday. Looking back it is interesting how Kaiser reacted. For instance, a couple of weeks ago only a few sections seemed concerned. But precautions and measures have increased in almost an exponential scale.
I think I'm part of the population most at risk so right from the beginning I was encouraged to take every precaution the Kaiser constantly checked with me that I was getting everything I needed.
I'm not panicked but I am worried.

I'm happy to say despite his claims that he meant no harm, the state is investigating him, and today, it was reported that he's donating the hand sanitizer to first responders and local churches. Price gouging is the lowest of the low.

Yea, I saw that article today as well. How he could have possibly thought that an article documenting his price gouging scheme was going to garner him sympathy is beyond me.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
@Nekodaiden - I've gotten the flu vaccine a couple years after it was formulated, because of how bad a cold, allergy or flu, would trigger my asthma. I went without getting it until the beginning of 2018 when about 90% of the people I work with got it. I had a high fever, chills, aches, cough, stayed home a Thurs, friday- then sunday went to urgent care for a nebulizer breathing treatment- still home mon and tues. Only 18 people were at my work during that time! Anyway, that did worry me, and I was dairy free.
Staying vegan has greatly reduced my asthma triggers and allergies, though I do still have them. When I stayed wfpb, Dr Gregers daily dozen strict, I was far better!
Germ transmission is only as effective in taking hold as the health of the recipient. A while back loads of people I work with were sick and I did feel a swollen gland on the side of my neck and got worried, but it went away fast and I've been fine.

I think people are really finding how bad dairy is for them and maybe this scare will further kill the dairy production!

Thank you for sharing. Just a couple of questions: 1) Did you get the flu the year you got vaccinated? I know people that get vaccinated nearly every year, and they often have flu symptoms after the vaccination. 2) I assumed from your posts you were vegan. Is there a reason you don't list as one?

I became vegan in 2007. In 2008, I had what I am pretty sure is the flu (maybe it was swine flu at that time). I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed for days. That is the last time I have been that ill. I never get the flu shot. I do think the vegan diet "cures" quite a few ailments and perhaps prevents others. I know dairy is extremely bad for creating congestion. I credit my strong immune system to the fact I worked in the child care industry for years around sick kids all the time. I think the body builds up immunity from exposure. Of course, now that I am older I am getting a little worried about my immune system weakening.

I have a little history working with children, although not a lot (I taught music for a short period), and I sometimes came into contact with students that were sick/sniffling. One I asked directly and found out she was a daily dairy user. About your lifestyle identification - you list as vegetarian but said here you are vegan...and for over a decade. May I ask why you list as vegetarian?

I've always had a good immune system. I've had the flu three times in my life, to my knowledge, the last time two years ago.

All my adult life, I did get a severe cold once a year, almost always at the end of the year. I have always attributed that to it being an especially busy time at work, with long hours and added social obligations. I have not had a cold since I stopped working, because I don't get rundown in the same way, and because I am not constantly around other humans.

I did not experience any change in health associated with change in diet.

Stress can effect our immune systems as can diet. Thanks for sharing your story, however I'm a little confused, as you also do not list, have stated that eggs/dairy are not an issue for you (vegan at home...not elsewhere according to your intro), so I'm a little curious what diet change you mean. I experienced several health changes going from semi-vegetarian to vegan.

Thank you for sharing. Just a couple of questions: 1) Did you get the flu the year you got vaccinated? I know people that get vaccinated nearly every year, and they often have flu symptoms after the vaccination. 2) I assumed from your posts you were vegan. Is there a reason you don't list as one?

I have a little history working with children, although not a lot (I taught music for a short period), and I sometimes came into contact with students that were sick/sniffling. One I asked directly and found out she was a daily dairy user. About your lifestyle identification - you list as vegetarian but said here you are vegan...and for over a decade. May I ask why you list as vegetarian?

Stress can effect our immune systems as can diet. Thanks for sharing your story, however I'm a little confused, as you also do not list, have stated that eggs/dairy are not an issue for you (vegan at home...not elsewhere according to your intro), so I'm a little curious what diet change you mean. I experienced several health changes going from semi-vegetarian to vegan.
I was referring to when I stopped eating meat, about three decades ago, and when I largely stopped eating dairy and eggs, almost two decades ago. (I eat away from home fewer than a handful of times a year.)

In neither case did I notice any changes in my health; I was healthy before, and remained healthy after.

I agree that stress can have many negative effects on health. Fortunately, in my case it did not have that effect. I had a high stress job, worked long hours, and sometimes was so busy that I sometimes would suddenly realize that I hadn't eaten in several days. My personal life hasn't been a piece of cake either.

I was born with rickets and spent my early months being fed carrot juice and getting sunlamp treatments. Apparently, that contributed to providing me with a strong immune system. I never got any of the childhood illnesses, such as the mumps, chicken pox or measles, even though my mother sent me to visit the sick kids because she wanted me to get those as early as possible.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the luck of the draw can't be discounted when it comes to health. So much of our lifetime health is already determined at birth.

Of course there are things each of us can do to decrease health risks, but that's all that's possible - a decrease, not an eimination.

And some of us have more tolerances built in than others do. When I was growing up, my uncles let an old acquaintance park his trailer home on their property. Joe drank himself unconscious every day with the cheapest rotgut alcohol available. He smoked, and his diet consisted of bologna sandwiches. AFAIK, he lived this way pretty much all his adult life. He was close to ninety when he died.

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Val

I am not vegan at this time. I try my best but sometimes I will eat cheese (as in going out for pizza). I do not eat other dairy products however.

I agree that stress can have many negative effects on health. Fortunately, in my case it did not have that effect. I had a high stress job, worked long hours, and sometimes was so busy that I sometimes would suddenly realize that I hadn't eaten in several days. My personal life hasn't been a piece of cake either.

I was born with rickets and spent my early months being fed carrot juice and getting sunlamp treatments. Apparently, that contributed to providing me with a strong immune system. I never got any of the childhood illnesses, such as the mumps, chicken pox or measles, even though my mother sent me to visit the sick kids because she wanted me to get those as early as possible.
Your mother did send you to visit sick kids deliberately? Ouch... Maybe she had her own reason, but that seems a little unfair... (It's none of my business, anyway,- i'm just a little surprised). But(!), considering that there is still no vaccine against chicken pox... maybe that was the ONLY right decision. I had chicken pox at 10y.o., and it was too late (i suffered a lot, because i was too old already). My sister had chicken pox at 6.5y.o., and she didn't feel as awful as i did. So, the earlier - the better.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Your mother did send you to visit sick kids deliberately? Ouch... Maybe she had her own reason, but that seems a little unfair... (It's none of my business, anyway,- i'm just a little surprised). But(!), considering that there is still no vaccine against chicken pox... maybe that was the ONLY right decision. I had chicken pox at 10y.o., and it was too late (i suffered a lot, because i was too old already). My sister had chicken pox at 6.5y.o., and she didn't feel as awful as i did. So, the earlier - the better.
Yes, that was my mother's thinking - that the younger one was, the less sick one would get. I just never got any of those illnesses at all.

Restaurants are really hard-pressed right now. If you have a favorite restaurant buy some gift cards which you can use later (if you're still alive, and if not you won't care).

This is what I'm starting to think. I must get my will sorted.

Apparently, we will be in a lock down as from Wednesday.