Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Did you know that the USA is the worst country in COVID-19 cases world wide? China's cases have also dropped severely. Many countries are in lockdown. Our lockdown in NZ is so severe! You can't even go to the playground! Everything that is non-essential is closed. But you should look at the new zealand graph of corona cases! The lockdown will probably end soon, and if all the countries cooperate we can bring an end to this nasty disease.

Last edited:
Two things

I haven't been posting these because I have mixed feelings. I've seen a lot of news articles about meat and dairy businesses doing really badly, and some have temporarily closed. Part of me wants to cheer, but I feel bad for the workers. I realized something this morning. At least we vegans don't have to worry about finding meat and dairy at the grocery store - we don't even look.

Oakland, Ca may have started a trend. Oakland is going to close residential streets to automobile traffic to allow people more room to walk (in the street - not just on the sidewalk) and keep physically distant. Not sure what the residents do who live at the end of one of those streets. I haven't noticed a lack of room for walking where I live but I have heard that it is in issue in some places. My local paper just reported that my city council is considering doing the same.

I grew up on a farm up in SW Minnesota not far from Sioux Falls, SD where the Smithfield pork plant is that just shut down. Another plant in Iowa, where I also lived a good bit of my life, has also had to close. I feel bad for the workers but not so bad that there will be meat shortages. I imagine some consumers will try the "fake" meats now.
Just saw this article. Very disturbing. :(

Surprisingly, I'm managing to shop once every week or week and a half. Fresh stuff tends to last 5 or so days, then we transition to jarred, canned or frozen. It's funny how I went shopping every day or two in may previous life. And to think that I haven't eaten in a restaurant in 35 days is amazing! (Not that I'm counting or anything…)

I'm still personally shopping for people food, but am getting all my dog food and bird/critter food delivered.

I think things are going to be very different from now on.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I have not been to a store in over three weeks. Up until then, I was seeing plenty of fresh fruits/vegetables and meat. Dairy not so much.
Son goes to the store about every two weeks and has been able to get their meat and milk supply.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I think I have been in a shop three times in three and a half weeks. I am going to set up a regular weekly grocery delivery when things go back to normal just in case something like this ever happens again. Hopefully not in my lifetime!

• Friendly
Fox News has always taken the coronavirus seriously.
Thank you, Daily Show.
(The DNC should hire the Daily Show to make all their political ads. Just saying)

Surprisingly, I'm managing to shop once every week or week and a half. Fresh stuff tends to last 5 or so days, then we transition to jarred, canned or frozen. It's funny how I went shopping every day or two in may previous life. And to think that I haven't eaten in a restaurant in 35 days is amazing! (Not that I'm counting or anything…)

I'm still personally shopping for people food, but am getting all my dog food and bird/critter food delivered.

I think things are going to be very different from now on.
I went almost six weeks without going to the grocery store, which was pretty long for me, but I had stocked up about a week or so before all heck broke loose with this virus. I used to shop every couple of weeks, but I think in the future, I might do more bulk shopping/stocking up on a regular basis. I hope to hit up all the local farmers markets, though, once they start opening up here. I was craving fresh produce. I really appreciated the big salad I made yesterday. I, too, get my cat food and litter delivered now, as it's cheaper than getting that at the grocery store.

I went almost six weeks without going to the grocery store, which was pretty long for me, but I had stocked up about a week or so before all heck broke loose with this virus. I used to shop every couple of weeks, but I think in the future, I might do more bulk shopping/stocking up on a regular basis. I hope to hit up all the local farmers markets, though, once they start opening up here. I was craving fresh produce. I really appreciated the big salad I made yesterday. I, too, get my cat food and litter delivered now, as it's cheaper than getting that at the grocery store.

You did well. People should not be going out on a regular basis to do shopping.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
The closing of meat process plants and the disruption of the food supply chain aren't causes for celebration if you care about animals. It's just going to result in the early slaughter of millions upon millions of animals because it's cheaper to "dispose" of them than to continue feeding them.

Further, if the supply chain gets much more wonky, there will be shortages of pet food, since the pet food industry relies on the offal from the meat processing plants.

I have already seen problems in this regard.

My husband is going to wear a mask when he is going to and from work on public transport. We realised we did have a safety mask in our DIY box outside!

Shows how much DIY we do that we didn't even remember. :laughing:

I feel really bad for people who don't have the resources to stock up.

Yes, the resources or the space in their homes. I feel so sorry for people living together in cramped flats/apartments. I am so glad that I have a house with a garden, no matter how small they both are!

Is there any kind of support you could obtain from your local health service ? I have heard that social
services are very efficient in certain Canadian provinces. That may not be the case in your area.

yes there is but i don't qualify.