Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I was just watching a video on what material to make a mask out of if you make a homemade one. Someone was saying dish cloth/tea towel material is quite effective.

I am finding it annoying having to keep crossing the street to avoid people on my daily walks as people walk along in groups as they are allowed to do that if they are from the same household. I am also finding it very tedious doing the same route as the other roads near me have so much traffic that it would be difficult to cross over back and forth. I might try doing a walking video at home instead and then maybe go out at night when hopefully it is less busy.

And some cool pics of animals taking over the world. The book I just read The Earth Abides has this kind of theme.

I know someone who lives near to the housing estate in east London where the deer appeared. :)

I am finding it annoying having to keep crossing the street to avoid people on my daily walks as people walk along in groups as they are allowed to do that if they are from the same household.

A mask is not a substitute for good social distancing.

I've just used old t-shirts for masks. Also, I just so happened to have some leftover underpads (like what you change babies on or old people sleep on). I thought that would be good material.

Some people have incorporated coffee filters in their masks. and I read that HEPA certified vacuum cleaner bags are the best for making face masks.

But what I hear over and over again is that faces masks will not protect you any better than keeping physical distance and washing your hands. The benefit that face masks have is protecting other people from you. You could have Covid19 and not be symptomatic and still spread it.

I don't wear a face mask for just walking around outside. I just keep my distance from peeps. If i ever go grocery shopping I will wear one of the cloth ones I got from my doctor. And a homemade cloth one over it. And as I understand it you can store these in a paper bag overnight and reuse them. the virus won't live that long on cloth.

Finding a good route can be a challenge but keep trying to find one or go out at a different time. I was getting tired of the same route too and drove to a hiking path and had a very nice hike on that and everyone was very cool about staying out of each other's way.

I don't wear a face mask for just walking around outside. I just keep my distance from peeps. If i ever go grocery shopping I will wear one of the cloth ones I got from my doctor. And a homemade cloth one over it. And as I understand it you can store these in a paper bag overnight and reuse them. the virus won't live that long on cloth.

Finding a good route can be a challenge but keep trying to find one or go out at a different time. I was getting tired of the same route too and drove to a hiking path and had a very nice hike on that and everyone was very cool about staying out of each other's way.

I thought that cloth masks had to be washed each time you used it as they can get wet from your breath. I don't have a mask anyway. I might buy a proper medical one if the rules here change, if I can get one!

I think people are just going out more here as the kids are now off school so families are going out to walk together. It's nice weather as well here so it does seem busier than it was a while back.

Actually, I just thought I will walk on the grass instead at the park as most people seem to be sticking to the paths.

I bet washing a cloth mask in soap and water in the sink is a good idea. The paper ones not so much. I have a few surgical masks from the hospital. You can't wash those but I have heard you can just stick them in a paper bag overnight. I don't know yet if that is true. But so far I haven't had to go to a grocery store. I still have some time to figure that out.

Well, back from the supermarket. Weather was windy and rainy but had no choice but to go out as I don't want to be outdoors much tomorrow if I don't have to as the military are training their helicopters on Thursday and Friday and they have said they might possibly use our little peninsula for the training, so it might possibly look like Tour Of Duty over the next 2 days, if they come here. They already use this area to train the black police helicopters, not sure how different the military helicopters are, I only know I will find it very vexing and annoying if they do so.

The supermarket was ok, was raining when I got there but at least there was no queue so I just had to run in the building. Was pleased to get the last celery.. Got everything on my list except again, the oat bran. I wanted to get petrol but I couldn't face doing it in the wind and rain so I will try another time.

The gentleman has raised £5 million and he's still walking. It's amazing how some people can do so much in times of need and age isn't a barrier.

He'll be a 100 yrs old at the end of this month.

Update:

Things are moving fast as he had raised 5 million this morning and I've just heard that he's topped 7 m this afternoon.😲

At 9am on Tuesday, the fundraiser had topped £1million, before surpassing £4million at 11pm.
Donations have rocketed since and the veteran has raised another £3million in just half a day.
By 2.30pm on Wednesday, Captain Moore had raised more than £7million for the health service.

I was just watching a video on what material to make a mask out of if you make a homemade one. Someone was saying dish cloth/tea towel material is quite effective.

I am finding it annoying having to keep crossing the street to avoid people on my daily walks as people walk along in groups as they are allowed to do that if they are from the same household. I am also finding it very tedious doing the same route as the other roads near me have so much traffic that it would be difficult to cross over back and forth. I might try doing a walking video at home instead and then maybe go out at night when hopefully it is less busy.
I don't know if going outside at night, especially alone, is a good idea... When taken into consideration that, as a female, you are part of the vulnerable population.
Unless, you own a gun, know how to use it and carry it on your person (not in your purse) while out and about.
Pepper spray or hair spray could also work, but isn't guaranteed. Think about it, if it is windy, and you get the spray in your face instead...
I'm just worried. Take care. :heart:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I don't know if going outside at night, especially alone, is a good idea... When taken into consideration that, as a female, you are part of the vulnerable population.
Unless, you own a gun, know how to use it and carry it on your person (not in your purse) while out and about.
Pepper spray or hair spray could also work, but isn't guaranteed. Think about it, if it is windy, and you get the spray in your face instead...
My preferred walking time has always been when most of the rest of the world is asleep, from when I was in college through the present, in my sixties. I've never felt the need to carry a weapon of any kind, and especially not a gun, which is more likely to be used against you than be of use to you.

Of course, for the last decades, I 'm almost always accompanied by one or more dogs.

My preferred walking time has always been when most of the rest of the world is asleep, from when I was in college through the present, in my sixties. I've never felt the need to carry a weapon of any kind, and especially not a gun, which is more likely to be used against you than be of use to you.

Of course, for the last decades, I 'm almost always accompanied by one or more dogs.
That's really great.
But sadly, not everyone is that lucky...

a gun, which is more likely to be used against you than be of use to you.
You are right... Attack is always an suprise, but if you have a gun, and if you pay attention to your surroundings, you at least have a change.

That's really great.
But sadly, not everyone is that lucky...
No, a lot of people aren't that lucky.

But if your concern is to warn women away from choices that may result in them getting sexually assaulted, beaten or murdered, you should be advising them to not go on dates, or have boyfriends, husbands or domestic partners. That's where the overwhelming danger of violence to women lies.

That is sweet of you. Don't worry, the area of London I'm from is pretty residential and family orientated and it doesn't have gang/gun crime that much.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
No, a lot of people aren't that lucky.

But if your concern is to warn women away from choices that may result in them getting sexually assaulted, beaten or murdered, you should be advising them to not go on dates, or have boyfriends, husbands or domestic partners. That's where the overwhelming danger of violence to women lies.
I'm not understating that possibility, but to not to take on precautions is also not a good idea.