Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I'm not having any problems with isolating. I suspect I'm a natural hermit.
Other than family, I’m not opposed to isolating. It’s not like we got together that often. I keep in touch with daughters daily via group text. We just randomly text multiple times throughout the day whenever we feel like sharing something. For me it’s more knowing that I can’t see them if I wanted to. A psychological thing I’m sure.

It’s funny for me...it’s not like I really went anywhere before this all started. But I at least had the freedom of coming and going when I wanted, short trips here and there. It’s amazing how much I took for granted. I’m glad that I can go for walks if I want. If I was unable to leave the house at all I don’t know what I’d do. The whole thing is so bizarre. I feel for anyone who suffers from depression. I would think this would make it a lot worse. It certainly doesn’t help my anxiety but i feel like depression would be worse.

I think if I were in my own house/town I would feel a little more secure. But even though I grew up here, I was away for 25 years and so much has changed. It feels strange and uncomfortable.

I wonder if I’m ever going to look at people the same again...like, will I ever go the grocery store and not fear germs? I don’t really want to be that paranoid person. I mean, some of the hygiene practices are good for everyday life. I always used the wipes on the shopping carts when the stores had the dispenser filled. I think that was implemented for the flu a few years back. I just wasn’t ever that afraid of getting sick like I am now.

It’s starting to get closer, too. My daughter has a positive case in her apartment building. My co-worker’s son in law has it. Luckily I haven’t been to work in over a week and a half. And now my other daughter’s mother in law is sick with cough, fever, shortness of breath. She has been in contact with the doctor. He does not want her to go for testing. She is in her late 70’s...I guess he feels it is safer for her/others if she stays put, as long as she doesn’t get worse. But she lives alone and I’m worried about her. I’m glad my daughter was strict and hadn’t allowed her to see the grandkids for almost two weeks. Initially I felt bad for her but it was a good decision.

That's one of the problems. I can't go for a walk because there are so many people out there already all walking and biking and it is hard to stay out of their way. I also can only use a narrow part of the garden because there is often someone at the fence on all sides.

So I can't go outside much at all, and I don't have things in a favourable way inside either.

I saw this yesterday, and now I can't find it. but it basically said (but better), "Social norms in New York have broken down. The police are rounding up people suspected of carrying the Coronavirus. Gangs of thugs are on the loose. You and your family cross the border to Canada seeking safety. The Canadian Government sends you back and locks your kids in cages. "

Al I have is the Internet right now..
I am so grateful for that. I’m on the internet a lot in general, but even more so now. Some people are complaining that their tired of seeing everyone Covid19 related, but I feel like, it’s such a huge part of our lives now. Some people need to talk about it a lot. Others, not so much. But I don’t think it’s fair to try and shut down the people who do need to reach out, however repetitive the information may be. I basically told someone online that maybe they need to get off facebook if they’re tired of seeing it and not the other way around. Of course, there always exceptions and it’s never good to obsess too much. But I feel like we just need to let people handle this in their own way.

I think the issue for me right now is that I’m not in my own home. I feel very displaced. I don’t have most of the things that could possibly keep me occupied. Thank goodness I can go for a walk. I pass a few people here and there but we always move to the side to “keep the distance”. One woman, yesterday, smiled and chuckled as we moved further apart as we passed each other and said “crazy times, huh?” I smiled and said, “sure is.”

I’m annoyed that I don’t even have my spices. I packed everything figuring I would’t want to be doing any baking while I’m here. So now I can’t even make cookies if I wanted to because I can’t be running out to the store for something so non-essential. *pout*

And still no yeast to be had. There is beer thanks to my son, lol, so maybe I’ll make another beer bread, but this time a little more savory than sweet. I’m glad they almost finished off the banana beer “cake” that I made.

KLS52,

If you're looking for yeast are there any grocery stores near you that have an on site bakery or a pizza joint? Often they use cake yeast and may sell you a small bit or even some uncooked yeasted dough you could use until you get settled in. Hopefully you aren't in limbo long enough to make your own starter from scratch, but I'd try it saving a bit of the dough from a beer bread recipe if it were me.

Isn't there a letter you can get to carry in your car, confirming you have a need?
I have one from my employer stating that I work for an essential employer to show if I'm stopped. I feel I heard that applies for personal needs. Not at all sure, but maybe you could you contact your city hall if you're concerned?
I'm not sure, but I can check into that.

We (NZ) have over 500 cases, the town next to us had a cluster of 15 mainly related to the hospitality industry.

The guy across the road just got married the next day the government implemented a nationwide shutdown, so much for the honeymoon away.

I shopped and prepared for a two week shutdown until my good neighbour next door informed me it's for four weeks, oh dear, I can't even get that right😃

A federal judge in California on Saturday found that the Trump administration has not taken sufficient measures to safeguard the health of detained migrant children during the coronavirus pandemic, calling detention facilities "hotbeds of contagion."

Citing the "unprecedented threats" posed by the coronavirus crisis, Judge Dolly Gee of the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles ordered officials to make every effort to release detained children "without unnecessary delay," a requirement established through the landmark Flores Settlement Agreement, which governs the care of minors in U.S. immigration custody.

Four children in custody have tested positive.

KLS52,

If you're looking for yeast are there any grocery stores near you that have an on site bakery or a pizza joint? Often they use cake yeast and may sell you a small bit or even some uncooked yeasted dough you could use until you get settled in. Hopefully you aren't in limbo long enough to make your own starter from scratch, but I'd try it saving a bit of the dough from a beer bread recipe if it were me.
What an amazing idea! Thanks! :kissing_heart:

So what’s the deal with the coronavirus relief checks? Is it true that it’s only for people who file taxes? I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be only for people who were directly affected, like those who were laid off from work. Not that I want to snub getting a check for $1200 but I’d rather see more go to the people who aren’t working.

It doesn’t make sense that because I filed taxes for 2019 but someone on SSI or disability, which is so minimal and doesn’t pay taxes, that I would get a check and they wouldn’t.

So what’s the deal?

I saw this yesterday, and now I can't find it. but it basically said (but better), "Social norms in New York have broken down. The police are rounding up people suspected of carrying the Coronavirus. Gangs of thugs are on the loose. You and your family cross the border to Canada seeking safety. The Canadian Government sends you back and locks your kids in cages. "

huh? to my knowledge it is not Canada that puts kids in cages

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
So what’s the deal with the coronavirus relief checks? Is it true that it’s only for people who file taxes? I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be only for people who were directly affected, like those who were laid off from work. Not that I want to snub getting a check for $1200 but I’d rather see more go to the people who aren’t working.

It doesn’t make sense that because I filed taxes for 2019 but someone on SSI or disability, which is so minimal and doesn’t pay taxes, that I would get a check and they wouldn’t.

So what’s the deal?
"Recipients of social security, disability and SSI will get stimulus checks. "As of right now, social security benefit recipients and social security disability, as well as supplemental social security recipients, are entitled to the stimulus payment,” financial expert Scott Braddock said.1 day ago"

There is lots of confusion- like how you'll get your money direct deposited to the account your tax refund went to- my son used my account for his refund as he owed me, will I get his check? If you didn't have a refund to an account, or account was since closed, you'll get a check mailed.