Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

We had an almost unusual covid case. A guy got tested and got a negative result back and tried to change it to a positive result :fp: I have no idea what was going through his mind .Anyway the cops charged him

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I've been having mixed feelings lately...

I know a mask and/or getting vaccinated doesn't protect just me: it also helps keep me from becoming a source of infection for someone else. Both of those are good reasons to mask up or get the jab. But I got vaccinated back in March, and was supposedly "safe" by mid-April, when my antibodies would have gotten up to full strength. Yet now it's September and I still have to wear a mask anyway, at work and on public transportation. I don't have any respiratory issues which make a mask a problem for me; I'd just like an explanation.

As I understand it, even here in New York State there is a sizeable population who haven't gotten the vaccine yet. It looks to me like masks, social distancing, partial lockdowns, etc are becoming "the new normal", and people won't bother getting vaccinated if they'll have to deal with all these other restrictions anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I've been having mixed feelings lately...

I know a mask and/or getting vaccinated doesn't protect just me: it also helps keep me from becoming a source of infection for someone else. Both of those are good reasons to mask up or get the jab. But I got vaccinated back in March, and was supposedly "safe" by mid-April, when my antibodies would have gotten up to full strength. Yet now it's September and I still have to wear a mask anyway, at work and on public transportation. I don't have any respiratory issues which make a mask a problem for me; I'd just like an explanation.

As I understand it, even here in New York State there is a sizeable population who haven't gotten the vaccine yet. It looks to me like masks, social distancing, partial lockdowns, etc are becoming "the new normal", and people won't bother getting vaccinated if they'll have to deal with all these other restrictions anyway.

your mixed feelings are understandable. A lot of people are getting them and I am too.

They even have coined a phrase for it: Pandemic fatigue. ( I apologize if I'm reading to much into your concerns or attibuting my own feelings as an explanation to your concerns)

Pandemic fatigue is what happens to us when we are looking forward to unmasking and getting together with people again and then told we can't - not yet.

However, I don't think pandemic fatigue has much to do with the unvaccinated. I think a lot of us got vaccinated way before we got pandemic fatigue. In fact, I think getting the vaccine and then being disappointed with the continued masking and social distancing is a major contributing cause to pandemic fatigue.

There were even commercials, ads or PSAs that showed us pictures of all the fun things we could be doing once vaccinated. and then when delta showed up we were told - just wait a little bit longer.

One thing that is apparent to me but maybe not to the majority of the unvaccinated is the the continuation of the restrictions is mostly because of the unvaccinated.

Although we hear a lot about breakthrough cases, and the numbers seem to be increasing , breakthrough cases are still very very rare. However they are important because a vaccinated person can be infected, not show any symptoms, and then go on infect another person.

Its hard to estimate how many breakthrough cases there are but we probably are going to underestimate them. Many of the vaccinated adults who get infected don't show any symptoms. so unless they know they might have been exposed they aren't likely to get tested. One estimate is that only half of a percent of the people who get covid now have been vaccinated.

Another telling statistic is that 99% of the people who die of covid now are not vaccinated.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
Reports i have been reading tell me, that in the coming Northern winter, be prepared at least with some things to do at home, we really dont know what winters can bring in this situation... hard to say how things will be but im even preparing myself for the summer, i would definitely prepare myself if i had winter ahead.
Agree on this. I'm a little worried about the winter. A friend asked me to go to the Rhode Island veg fest in February. It will be indoors, and I'm not sure I want to commit given how things are right now. It sells out quickly, so I need to decide soon, but I'm leaning toward no. I've been chancing some indoor dining of late, and so far, all is well, but I feel like I need to dial it back a bit. I really don't want to get it and then give it to my parents, who are older and all.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
my sister and her husband just returned from a 2 week holiday in Philly and New Jersey as some very close friends invited them to come and visit - they were somewhat reluctant and yet really wanted to visit - not allowed to drive across the border so they had to fly - they are back and she just texted me a short time ago and said that although they had a good time they will not be crossing the border again in the near future if ever - test after test and hoop after hoop to jump through - they are both double vaxxed

we now have vaccine passports available, starting two days ago, I will get one but don't really need it as I don't go anywhere that one would be required

two of our western provinces, Alberta and Saskatchewan, are in big trouble right now as they both lifted all restrictions in July when every thought it was over....... thankfully Ontario did not lift the mask restrictions and I have no trouble complying and will continue to do so as I don't wish to have even a mild case or pass it on to anyone else or get the flu either

I had to deal with a challenge at the grocery store two days ago. As I was walking back to my vehicle with a cart full of groceries, an older lady was shuffling through the parking lot in shorts, a light jacket and birkenstocks (it was a cool rainy day) and when I say shuffling I mean a few inches at a time and with a cane. She was half crying and asked me if I would give her a ride to her home.... cue all my covid concerns.... I have not been in close contact with anyone at all, especially in a vehicle.... I asked her if she had a mask, she did, I asked her if she was vaccinated and she said she was double vaxxed so I said okay - I have an SUV so it was a challenge just getting her into it - I drove with all the windows down.... turns out she is likely not much older than I am and she had a stroke in December - waiting at her home was a friend, wondering where she was and a contractor waiting to install bars for her bathroom etc. Over the past year and half I often wondered what I would do if I was put into that situation as 'helping others' could compromise them and me. I am happy to know that I rose to the challenge althought somewhat reluctantly... :rolleyes:

has anyone else found themselves in this kind of situation?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I don’t think my anxiety would have allowed me to give her a ride…stranger danger fear regardless of her apparent disability. So awesome/kind of you to do that. I would have paid for a cab/uber for her.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
It’s so weird because Connecticut is one of the better states for low covid numbers and my county, specifically, is the second best county in the state…as of three days ago. I guess “best” is relative 🤦🏻‍♀️ where best is still bad. 😞

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
In other news, my county has now reached 93% in the vaccinations dept.
However some communities are still below 70%. and certain ethnicities and age groups are below 80%.
The county has funded what they are calling pop up clinics. These are targeting certain groups and areas. Just a tent, a couple of tables and chairs and a few nurses. Since the teen age population is lagging in percent vaccinated they have been hitting Schools, Soccer clubs and things like Community centers. Got a give them some slack, the 12 - 16 crowd only recently became eligible. since smaller rural communities are lagging they have been going to those areas and setting up in grocery store parking lots.
And it appears to be working. Five thousand vaccinations last week. When they ask people why now, the number one answer appears to be fear of getting covid. The experts think that the break through infections are fueling that fear.

my sister and her husband just returned from a 2 week holiday in Philly and New Jersey as some very close friends invited them to come and visit - they were somewhat reluctant and yet really wanted to visit - not allowed to drive across the border so they had to fly - they are back and she just texted me a short time ago and said that although they had a good time they will not be crossing the border again in the near future if ever - test after test and hoop after hoop to jump through - they are both double vaxxed

we now have vaccine passports available, starting two days ago, I will get one but don't really need it as I don't go anywhere that one would be required

two of our western provinces, Alberta and Saskatchewan, are in big trouble right now as they both lifted all restrictions in July when every thought it was over....... thankfully Ontario did not lift the mask restrictions and I have no trouble complying and will continue to do so as I don't wish to have even a mild case or pass it on to anyone else or get the flu either

I had to deal with a challenge at the grocery store two days ago. As I was walking back to my vehicle with a cart full of groceries, an older lady was shuffling through the parking lot in shorts, a light jacket and birkenstocks (it was a cool rainy day) and when I say shuffling I mean a few inches at a time and with a cane. She was half crying and asked me if I would give her a ride to her home.... cue all my covid concerns.... I have not been in close contact with anyone at all, especially in a vehicle.... I asked her if she had a mask, she did, I asked her if she was vaccinated and she said she was double vaxxed so I said okay - I have an SUV so it was a challenge just getting her into it - I drove with all the windows down.... turns out she is likely not much older than I am and she had a stroke in December - waiting at her home was a friend, wondering where she was and a contractor waiting to install bars for her bathroom etc. Over the past year and half I often wondered what I would do if I was put into that situation as 'helping others' could compromise them and me. I am happy to know that I rose to the challenge althought somewhat reluctantly... :rolleyes:

has anyone else found themselves in this kind of situation?

Emma JC
God I hope I'm never in that situation-on either side. Birkenstocks and shuffling are an accident waiting to happen! Wearing them after having a stroke is a terrible idea. How far did she have to go from the store?
I am also a quite suspicious person, and would not put past ill intent no matter the age

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
God I hope I'm never in that situation-on either side. Birkenstocks and shuffling are an accident waiting to happen! Wearing them after having a stroke is a terrible idea. How far did she have to go from the store?
I am also a quite suspicious person, and would not put past ill intent no matter the age

she was at almost 2 miles from home and it was a regular house in a nice area - I am pretty sure she was affected mentally by the stroke as well

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Seven kids in one week tested positive for covid in my grandkids school. 😞

They had to close a whole classroom at an elementary school. the teacher inadvertently infected the whole first row. The story seems to be that she took her mask off to read a story.
Those stories are scary! I guess the restrictions aren't excessive after all.