Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I don't understand. Even if covid-19 has been around for a while, how would that mitigate the seriousness of it?

Agree. I think that it's more to do with transparency. If this virus was contained within China and had not become a pandemic, we wouldn't be talking about it.

Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
I just got a text saying I am eligible because of an underlying health condition so I have booked the first jab for Monday. It's at a different site to where my husband had his, weirdly. I wonder if that means I'm getting a different vaccine to him?

I just got a text saying I am eligible because of an underlying health condition so I have booked the first jab for Monday. It's at a different site to where my husband had his, weirdly. I wonder if that means I'm getting a different vaccine to him?

Which one did he get? I've spoken with several people in the UK and they all got the AZ jab.

Now Ohio vaccines are open to 50 and older -- but ridiculous to try and schedule!
I finally got to University Hosp that will send me text updates (hopefully) on availibility. Every other site you wait for your 'turn' in line, then it gives you a far off location -- and says 'no appointments'
There is a mass vaccination in a huge auditorium--but that just seems like a bad idea :shrug:

He got the Pfizer one. I don't even know which one is meant to be better.

I was expecting to be waiting a lot longer for my jab but my second one is booked for the end of May.

There are a few articles where the above are compared. I don't think that one is better than another but they work in different ways.
Oxford AZ is the only pharmaceutical firm that isn't making a profit from the vaccine.

• Informative
Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
It seems everyone is so quick to complain these days, especially when it comes to rules regarding Covid-19 transmission in the community, etc. I was thinking over my oat-milk latte this morning about the positive things that have come from it. Can you think of anything?

When is the last time you had a cold or flu? It would seem social distancing and obsessive handwashing has some benefits. I'm sure masks also play a role, and not that I enjoy wearing one, myself.

I would also like to think most of us have been spending more time in our kitchens preparing yummy meals and snacks. I think this is also a very positive thing. I wonder how many people have tried baking their own bread since this all started. And please, folks, don't complain about all the extra weight you've gained. lol

I don't know about everyone else, but I have also spent a lot more time outdoors over the last year. This is also a very positive thing, in my humble opinion.

I'll finish my positive pandemic post with "Springtime" 🌷🌸:flower:

Don't forget to spring ahead if you do that sort of thing where you live. I could complain about the hour sleep I'm going to lose, but I won't ;)

It seems everyone is so quick to complain these days, especially when it comes to rules regarding Covid-19 transmission in the community, etc. I was thinking over my oat-milk latte this morning about the positive things that have come from it. Can you think of anything?

When is the last time you had a cold or flu? It would seem social distancing and obsessive handwashing has some benefits. I'm sure masks also play a role, and not that I enjoy wearing one, myself.

I would also like to think most of us have been spending more time in our kitchens preparing yummy meals and snacks. I think this is also a very positive thing. I wonder how many people have tried baking their own bread since this all started. And please, folks, don't complain about all the extra weight you've gained. lol

I don't know about everyone else, but I have also spent a lot more time outdoors over the last year. This is also a very positive thing, in my humble opinion.

I'll finish my positive pandemic post with "Springtime" 🌷🌸:flower:

Don't forget to spring ahead if you do that sort of thing where you live. I could complain about the hour sleep I'm going to lose, but I won't ;)

Those are all good positives.
Over here there is a lot less traffic. and I think its been a very positive thing for the dogs. and wildlife too.
I've gotten much better at limiting trips to the grocery store and meal planning.

I'm not affected that much by the negatives. I am retired. I talk to my friends on the phone .

I miss going to the gym. And going out with friends. And concerts and live music. and the movies ... oh...

In the US of A, it depends on which one the local government chooses So, people who live in the same town (or close by town) would get the same vaccine.

In the US of A, it depends on which one the local government chooses So, people who live in the same town (or close by town) would get the same vaccine.
It must be different here as my brother and his best friend both got different ones and they live in the same part of London.

The list of sites to get the Covid jab were different from the ones my husband got to choose from. His site was 5 minutes walk from my house and were all very local and and mine were further away.

Oh well, I will find out which vaccine I get tomorrow anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
It must be different here as my brother and his best friend both got different ones and they live in the same part of London.

The list of sites to get the Covid jab were different from the ones my husband got to choose from. His site was 5 minutes walk from my house and were all very local and and mine were further away.

Oh well, I will find out which vaccine I get tomorrow anyway.

It's the same here; some people are getting Pfizer and others AZ.

• Friendly
In CT, Im seeing clinics for Johnson and Johnson, Pfizer and Moderna. I am high school teacher so I just recently got mine through a clinic that the district set up for all the employees (Johnson and Johnson).

Its funny how the general public has suddenly all become biochemists lol! People here have such strong opinions about which is best and which one they are getting; sometimes with very complex jargon explaining the specifics. I just went for the first opportunity I got and it was just one shot which was appealing so I just went for it... even though I hear the numbers, at least on paper, are better for the other two. Got some nasty side effects though, I will say that. Very achy and a terrible headache the day after. My wife, who also works in the district got the shot with 0 side effects aside from pain at the injection site. I have not seen any AZ here, though it might be and I just haven't noticed.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
And there is no rhyme or reason as to why people living in the same area are getting different ones?

Absolutely! There is a shortage of vaccine doses and the roll out is slow and disorganised. There are still many people in the +75 group that are not vaccinated. Both Pfizer and AZ have been approved but there seems to be a shortage of the former. As the latter if far cheaper and can be stored in a normal fridge, pharmacists and doctors will be vaccinating the population. My GP is vaccinating 10/week.

There are still not vaccinated my age group but I managed to get one because I was on top of things.

Absolutely! There is a shortage of vaccine doses and the roll out is slow and disorganized. There are still many people in the +75 group that are not vaccinated. Both Pfizer and AZ have been approved but there seems to be a shortage of the former. As the latter if far cheaper and can be stored in a normal fridge, pharmacists and doctors will be vaccinating the population. My GP is vaccinating 10/week.

There are still not vaccinated my age group but I managed to get one because I was on top of things.

ok, well I think there may be a big difference between how the distribution of the vaccine is handled in my area vs. yours. So far almost all seniors and essential workers have been vaccinated, and the plan is to have all groups vaccinated by the end of May.

Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
ok, well I think there may be a big difference between how the distribution of the vaccine is handled in my area vs. yours. So far almost all seniors and essential workers have been vaccinated, and the plan is to have all groups vaccinated by the end of May.

The EU hasn't done very well in vaccinating the entire population. Moreover only + 5m out of 67 m in France have received the 1 st jab.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
It was the AZ vaccine. I thought it was going to be that one as it was a different site to anyone else I know around here who has had the vaccine. I asked the nurse and she said they only do AZ at that site. I got lost beforehand and was late but there were loads of people there and big queues. One of the staff said they had 1,000 people there today.

Cleveland is having a mass vaccination at college auditorium, prepared for like 7000 a day for the next few weeks. They've shown how the have the entire floor lined with chairs and people stay seated as the nurses go around with carts. I'd have such anxiety there 😨.
I did sign up for text messages for a drug store for the next available appt