The Everything Animal Thread

I liked that short little video so much I checked out the YouTube channel for the Bee Lady. It called Texas Bee Works. Her voice is so soothing I enjoyed listening to her. Also gave me a different perspective and more appreciation of bees.

So I watched a few more of the Bee lady's videos. Really enjoyed them. At the end of each one she puts the new hive in her truck and drives home. Being that she has at least 20 of these videos I was wondering where the hives ended up and what happened to them when she got them home.

With a little googling I found out a few interesting things. She doesn't charge for bee removals. A lot of her funding does come from YouTube. She has a 5 acre backyard which is technically an apiary but she calls it a Bee Refuge.

AND she doesn't sell honey. Here is what she put down on her website.

WHY DON’T YOU SELL HONEY?

Early on in her beekeeping journey, Erika discovered that harvesting and selling honey was one of her least favorite parts about beekeeping, so she stopped doing it. Honey is a colony’s food source in the winter or when nothing is in bloom. Each bee only makes 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in her entire lifetime, and after seeing how hard the bees worked to make and store their food, Erika says it just made her “feel bad” to take their honey and turn around and sell it for profit, especially to people who didn’t understand its value to the bees. She also thought that her relationship to the bees would change if she focused on selling honey, so instead, she focused on education the public about bees and helping bees thrive by removing them from places where they were not wanted and giving them a better place to live. Erika harvests a very small and sustainable amount of honey for her personal use and to share with her family and community and friends of Texas Beeworks, but she doesn’t harvest every year and she never sells the bees’ honey.​

327330174_1843538362681148_892495733722139763_n.jpg

An orderly line please! Breakfast is served-Brambles Wildlife Rescue

329005458_3475574559368166_5319757364726029059_n.jpg

Two very lucky pigeons being transported to an animal sanctuary in Bexhill. They no longer can live a tough life on the streets of Brighton due to severe disability. I'm sure that they'll lead a happy life amongst other wildlife in a safer place.

049.JPG

• Love
Reactions: KLS52
Someone at work told me he had baby mice in the trash, so I took them all home. I've had them for 5 days, one of them died but the rest are doing great. There are 8 of them. They now have their eyes open, and they are becoming more active. It makes me happy to see they are full of life. This is what I dreamed of doing, finding some baby mice/rats and raising them from babies. They were at the perfect age for it too, they had fur but their eyes were closed.
20230210_122029.jpg

Last edited:
Someone at work told me he had baby mice in the trash, so I took them all home. I've had them for 5 days, one of them died but the rest are doing great. There are 8 of them. They now have their eyes open, and they are becoming more active. It makes me happy to see they are full of life. This is what I dreamed of doing, finding some baby mice/rats and raising them from babies. They were at the perfect age for it too, they had fur but their eyes were closed.
View attachment 28497
But then what? They're old enough to be one their own?

But then what? They're old enough to be one their own?
I'm in a difficult situation where I'd like to have them for their entire life but my bf does not.
They aren't ready to be on their own, they will need 2-3 weeks at least. I don't think they will survive if I do release them. Maybe if I find an abandoned trailer so they can live there?
I couldn't leave them in the trash to die.

How'd he feel about keeping one?
He feels 3 rats and a snake is plenty and they're wild animals so they shouldn't be pets.
Guess it's easier to be accepting of pet rodents when they've been domesticated and have different patterns/colors than the wild ones. They are becoming more skittish and try to escape. They just aren't fast enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt