The different schools of WFPB eating for health

Well, eating more vegetables, beans, fruit etc. "feels healthy" so it gives a good feeling. If it will help dying several years later is something one will never be able to prove.

In the end a diet is always a compromise. Even if there was "a best diet ever" it would be worth zilch if basically no one is able to follow it longterm. So I rather follow a diet that is manageable for me.
I feel you!
But--a wfpb diet isn't so much about adding years to your life, but improving the quality of life.
I have followed Dr Gregers plan daily dozen, with no oil sugar (I never quit salt) and I will attest to it improving my well being. I had no need of my daily asthma maintenance inhalor, had no allergy symptoms, tons of energy, stamina. I did great for maybe two months, then fell back into my far more moderate vegan diet. I think a lot had to do with not knowing how to deal with all the new feelings? I don't know.
I think it's just harder when you're not really that unhappy with your current health. I've known people with severe health problems stick to wfpb diets completely and they definitely have regained their health!

People get sick less often and live longer if they eat less meat.
I thought we're talking about "vegan vs. vegan" here and not "vegan vs. meat eating".

Prove - like make into a fact? No. but
Prove like a hypothesis? A theory? of course.
A hypothesis is not "proof". That's why it's called a hypothesis.

Some people will go on all kinds of diets and exercise plans if they have heard it might add 5 years to their life. Others won't even make a small change even when they Know it will add 10 years to their life.
Yes, maybe because "being on a strict diet and exercise regime" reduces quality of life for many people. They don't like the foods they should eat, they hate exercising - and on top of this there is no guarantee that one will live to a 110 with a WFPB diet just as meat eating doesn't mean death sentence in your 50s.

I saw a video and saw that there was a small financial tie, Greger to Furhman, which might account for their similar beliefs or their similar beliefs might have made a financial tie make sense. It had to do with the Greger non-profit charity and Fuhrman supplements. I like them both.

Due to heart disease with my husband, we aimed for 10/10/80 for heart disease reversal. That meant for us, limited flax, no nuts or seeds, no avocado, olives, tofu, no processed oils. It's been two years and I still don't bother using processed oils, and we eat nuts in small amounts very rarely, olives and tofu rarely. It's just what we got used to.

I'd recommend Campbell, The China Study. I also believe Ornish is onto something considering stress management, love and support.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I saw a video and saw that there was a small financial tie, Greger to Furhman, which might account for their similar beliefs or their similar beliefs might have made a financial tie make sense. It had to do with the Greger non-profit charity and Fuhrman supplements. I like them both.

Due to heart disease with my husband, we aimed for 10/10/80 for heart disease reversal. That meant for us, limited flax, no nuts or seeds, no avocado, olives, tofu, no processed oils. It's been two years and I still don't bother using processed oils, and we eat nuts in small amounts very rarely, olives and tofu rarely. It's just what we got used to.

I'd recommend Campbell, The China Study. I also believe Ornish is onto something considering stress management, love and support.
Have you read Colin Campbells "Whole"? Much more concise and researched than China Study. I borrowed it as audio book, I should get it again.,

How Not to Diet by Dr Greger is pretty great. Focuses on the physiology of humans, just everything related to the relationship with foods
Thing about Greger is that while he details the extremes he's also very clear that every change to a better diet is better. It's hard to explain that to people as they just look at the far end of what he promotes. Yes, if you only eat what he terms green light foods you'll reap incrementally more gains to your health, but even just halfway is still health promoting

@silva I haven't read Whole, but you are the second person I've known to recommend that book. I do want to read it.

Edit: Found it at the library system we have, as a digital version. I'm reading it.

Last edited:
Reactions: silva
its been so long since I read the China Study, so I might be mis-remembering, but I don't remember it being of much practical use. and I think I remember the same with Forks Over Knives. But the companion books for Forks Over Knives are great.

Reactions: feather
its been so long since I read the China Study, so I might be mis-remembering, but I don't remember it being of much practical use. and I think I remember the same with Forks Over Knives. But the companion books for Forks Over Knives are great.
China Study didn't make much of an impact to me either, I think more because I was also absorbed with John Robbins and How not to Die.
but I did love Whole.
Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition: Campbell, T. Colin, Jacobson, Howard: 9781939529848: Amazon.com: Books

Reactions: Lou
It's a book (the china study) that brings up some basic logic. If we spent the last 30 year inventing pills and nano technology, supplements, hospital procedures but people are now dying of chronic illness even faster, maybe we're looking in the wrong direction. Maybe it is nutrition that matters and makes a difference. And then, why is that so? Business, capitalism, the media, confusing the issue, putting our healing faith in the wrong direction.

@silva Whole is 19 chapters. I just finished chapter 12. I haven't decided yet whether to sleep and read tomorrow, or read now and suffer tomorrow. :grinning:

I bought and have read How Not To Die as well. And Salt, Oil, and Sugar (I think that is the title).

@silva I haven't read Whole, but you are the second person I've known to recommend that book. I do want to read it.

Edit: Found it at the library system we have, as a digital version. I'm reading it.

I have found both the audio (available) and digital version (on hold for me) and so I will listen to the audio until the digital arrives - thank you all for the suggestion.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and feather