The coffee Lovers thread

I do love my coffee!
I've been working 10 hour days, and finding it hard to get to bed early. I had a cup next to me now and was dosing off, till I started sipping it. I love that feeling of slowing "perking" up!

coffee has never really kept me up at night when I drink it in the early evening

I've been buying Aldi fair trade ground Columbian, and love it!

I read somewhere that a good solution to the afternoon blahs is a cup of coffee followed up with a ten minute power nap.

Reactions: KLS52
Who can nap for only 10 minutes?
Not me!
Well, I may have nodded off for 10 min before that coffee. It was just the right temp when I woke up!
I have gone in my car and set my alarm for a 10 min snooze, but I am not fond of that at all!

I nap almost every day when I work the early shift for around an hour or so. More than that, I just feel groggy the rest of the day.

I remember reading that you shouldn't drink coffee first thing in the morning. I can't remember why. but I've been doing just that for twenty years. Sound like it was a good idea.

Huffington Post says that while so many of us are in the habit of pouring a cup of coffee immediately upon wakeup, waiting just a little while both prevents the anxiety and mood swing that some coffee drinkers experience, and sustains the energizing effect for longer into your morning.​

Well, the first thing I drink is a big glass of water, but then straight to a big mug of coffee! ☕That looks like a bowl of coffee....

I've been buying Aldi fair trade coffees and have come up with a blend I really really love. Equal parts of the Columbian, Sumatra, and German Roast.

I usually start my day with a hot chocolate. Then breakfast. then coffee - but no later than 10am.
I've been getting the fair trade/shade grown from Trader joes. Its expensive but I just use 3 tbsp a day.
It still seems to go too fast.

I'm back to going to Starbucks once a week for the meeting of the ol' geezers club. At starbucks they aren't allowed to pour coffee into your own cup anymore. I used to bring a reusable tumbler with some soy in it. So when I went to Starbucks and ordered coffee with soy they didn't charge me extra for it. I was sort of surprised. I wonder if they changed that rule or if it was just the barista being nice.

I really wish Starbucks would bring back shade grown and/or free trade. they used to have it as an option in their bigger stores but now I don't even see it on the shelves.

Starbucks claims that all their coffee is sort of like FairTrade - they have their own standards to ensure ethically sourced coffee. And they also claim that their farmers practice sustainability.

Oh, put this in the good news category

^ That sign, for some reason, reminded me of this great Dave Barry article .

Meanwhile, back in the line, there is growing impatience among those of us who just want a plain old cup of coffee so that our brains will start working and we can remember what our full names are and why we are catching an airplane. We want to strike the lattespressacino people with our carry-on baggage and scream "GET OUT OF OUR WAY, YOU TREND GEEKS, AND LET US HAVE OUR COFFEE!" But of course we couldn't do anything that active until we've had our coffee.​
It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity. I bet this kind of thing does not happen to heroin addicts. I bet that when serious heroin addicts go to purchase their heroin, they do not tolerate waiting in line while some dilettante in front of them orders a hazelnut smack-a-cino with cinnamon sprinkles.​

^ That sign, for some reason, reminded me of this great Dave Barry article .

Meanwhile, back in the line, there is growing impatience among those of us who just want a plain old cup of coffee so that our brains will start working and we can remember what our full names are and why we are catching an airplane. We want to strike the lattespressacino people with our carry-on baggage and scream "GET OUT OF OUR WAY, YOU TREND GEEKS, AND LET US HAVE OUR COFFEE!" But of course we couldn't do anything that active until we've had our coffee.​
It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity. I bet this kind of thing does not happen to heroin addicts. I bet that when serious heroin addicts go to purchase their heroin, they do not tolerate waiting in line while some dilettante in front of them orders a hazelnut smack-a-cino with cinnamon sprinkles.​

Two words for you--
Gas Station!
I love many gas station coffees. Fresh. Good variety that you can help yourself to, even blending the dark Samoan with the milder Columbian. A variety of those Torani syrups if you wish- I believe they're all vegan (?)
I think I've seen individual vegan creamers, but I don't use them so not sure where