The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* In addition to barring anyone who doesn’t live or work here, they’ve now officially cancelled all activities. No word game, no bingo, no movie screenings, no St. Patrick’s Day buffet tomorrow, and the lady who was scheduled to come in tomorrow to lead a sing-along will have to be called and told not to come. Staying in our rooms is recommended. Thank goodness I have my books, TV and other devices to keep me from getting stupidly bored. And a couple episodes of Outlander to catch up on, now I have the time!

My sister and I were planning to meet a friend for dinner later this month; that has also been cancelled. We’re all in our sixties, so it’s just as well.

*sigh* In addition to barring anyone who doesn’t live or work here, they’ve now officially cancelled all activities. No word game, no bingo, no movie screenings, no St. Patrick’s Day buffet tomorrow, and the lady who was scheduled to come in tomorrow to lead a sing-along will have to be called and told not to come. Staying in our rooms is recommended. Thank goodness I have my books, TV and other devices to keep me from getting stupidly bored. And a couple episodes of Outlander to catch up on, now I have the time!

My sister and I were planning to meet a friend for dinner later this month; that has also been cancelled. We’re all in our sixties, so it’s just as well.
Sorry Amy. I know that must be a disappointment. It’s pretty much the same happening here. I feel bad for the seniors who depend on the senior center for socialization. All of their activities have been cancelled until further notice.

• Friendly
Reactions: Amy SF and Val
Hey everyone! Well, TJ Maxx had plenty of customers today. It was slower than normal early but picked up after noon. It wasn't as busy as it was a couple of weeks ago though. I don't know what is going to happen but some people will always shop I suppose. All the fun stuff that was scheduled for the next two weekends has been cancelled. The way things are going, I am afraid my Big Cat Rescue visit will have to be postponed as well. :(

I went to the mall yesterday and there was only a quarter of the people usually there... It was so little occupied that people were looking around at each other, as if paranoid everyone had the condition... I went to a bookstore and they had a crappy air conditioner which was belting out hot dry air and it made me have a sneezing fit...the shop staff were very suspicious of me after that.

I hope this photo cheers everyone up:

IMG_20200316_130434.jpg

This is Tormund the kitten chewing on Jon Snow's ear. Jon Snow is the feral cat I was feeding for much of last year. Finally, in the autumn, I trapped him. He liked the other cats so much that we decided to keep him inside.

He tamed down and became extremely loving in such a short time. He is the most perfect cat I have ever encountered. He comes running to meet me when I walk in the door. He wraps his paws around my leg to try to keep me from leaving. He loves all the other cats, and he is beloved by them.

He is extremely nurturing to Tormund. He grooms Tormund, cuddles with him, plays with him, and allows Tormund to chew on him.

I am so very fortunate to know this cat.

I hope this photo cheers everyone up:

View attachment 20079

This is Tormund the kitten chewing on Jon Snow's ear. Jon Snow is the feral cat I was feeding for much of last year. Finally, in the autumn, I trapped him. He liked the other cats so much that we decided to keep him inside.

He tamed down and became extremely loving in such a short time. He is the most perfect cat I have ever encountered. He comes running to meet me when I walk in the door. He wraps his paws around my leg to try to keep me from leaving. He loves all the other cats, and he is beloved by them.

He is extremely nurturing to Tormund. He grooms Tormund, cuddles with him, plays with him, and allows Tormund to chew on him.

I am so very fortunate to know this cat.
Jon Snow sounds amazing. And Tormund is very cute! :smitten:

What a crazy time in the world. Must admit it has got to me now....feeling extremely anxious with everyone going on. We've all been told to take our laptops home every night as the office is looking set to close for a few weeks imminently.

One of my friends has had to cancel her wedding for now & another one has been fired from her job.

What a crazy time in the world. Must admit it has got to me now....feeling extremely anxious with everyone going on. We've all been told to take our laptops home every night as the office is looking set to close for a few weeks imminently.

One of my friends has had to cancel her wedding for now & another one has been fired from her job.

Getting laid off is just awful. I also feel sorry for people that have underlining health problems. If they need care, there may not be
enough medical staff if necessary.

It's good that you can at least work from home. My pal/neighbour has to travel into Marseille everyday using public transport (both bus and metro) as he cannot work from home. She does the pay for 700 gouverment employees and cannot use a home computer.

Yes I really feel for people who are at risk & all those that are affected via their jobs/incomes etc. People will not be able to pay their bills & who knows how long this will all last.

I also feel so sorry for people who need money to pay their rent/mortgage and food. Those that are really in a tough spot are those with
major health issues. The rest of us should not complain to be isolated or stuck inside.

I have neither of the above but am anxious that we may not have the necessary medical assistance in case this thing takes over. Scientists are saying that 250 000 people in the UK may die ! If you multiply the number by each country that is a lot of deaths. :(

So it is St Patrick's Day...

An Irish Blessing or Four

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

May good luck be with you Wherever you go, and your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow.

May your days be many and your troubles be few, May all God’s blessings descend upon you, May peace be within you, May your heart be strong, May you find what you’re seeking wherever you roam.

May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been
the foresight to know where you’re going
and the insight to know when you’re going too far.

☘☘

Emma JC

So it is St Patrick's Day...

An Irish Blessing or Four

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

May good luck be with you Wherever you go, and your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow.

May your days be many and your troubles be few, May all God’s blessings descend upon you, May peace be within you, May your heart be strong, May you find what you’re seeking wherever you roam.

May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been
the foresight to know where you’re going
and the insight to know when you’re going too far.

☘☘

Emma JC
Speaking of shamrocks... I remembered my younger years, when i studied at the music college. There was "Shamrock" Irish bar in SPb, right on the corner of "Theater square", in front of (now former) the building of Conservatoire. Very often, after the lessons (instead of lessons, hehehe), i was crawling inside that bar, sitting there, just sipping Coca-cola with ice cubes and staring at folklore-themed items and vintage photos on the walls (that was the happiness!). It was very romantic. Plus, that "Shamrock" bar was my sacred place, because it provided free(!) newspapers in English (for tourists, and for foreigners who permanently live in SPb). I used to secretly "steal" as many newspapers as i could, and read them from the first word to the last word. ...Eeeh... those were the days... (I didn't have any computer or smartphone then, and there was no internet when i was 16y.o., so those newspapers were very useful in studying English).📰💓

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Thank you Emma and the same to you. 😍

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC
I still have my tonsils too!
Ditto!

A pressure cooker is the best thing for dry beans. I love my Instant Pot
From the 'garbanzo bean' thread - I concur. However, don't old beans tend never to soften when cooking them?

I am home today - sans laptop (other than my own) or any other WAH protocol. Went to work yesterday and out of an abundance of precaution due to a suspected (unconfirmed) case of the dreaded virus on one of our campuses, they added the staff and the district to the people who were ordered to stay home. *sigh* I'm hourly which means I don't get paid. My guess is I'll miss at least a week of work while they attempt to confirm said suspected person (fortunately the text message that came said "potentially exposed persons have been contacted" - which mean I wasn't in the group since I wasn't contacted (whew!). But classes are suspended til the 30th, at which time they all move to online teaching (next week is spring break), and all those teachers and students are going to need support, so I'm *pretty sure* they'll figure out how to get me and the other few people who work tier 1 support back on the payroll, even if it's remotely. 2 of them are over 60 so they shouldn't be out and about anyway...

Amidst all of this craziness I bought a new phone (isn't that practical of me, LOL), so I've been playing with that all day long. I'm currently happy to have stocked up on TP a couple weeks ago (and I have a 'travel bidet' being delivered today sometime) and don't use paper towels, and that as of right now, everyone close to me is healthy at the moment. On the up-side, I have extra time to complete assignments for school, and time to clean the house... And my dog is loving the fact that I'm home. :)

It's 7 am and all is still quiet outside. As this is the 1 st full day of the lockdown, we'll see how many people are still out and around.

I think that I'm going to stay put today as I bumped into too many neighbours yesterday; plus a delivery man who didn't respect the required distance.

Morning/afternoon y'all! I am off work today. It is another beautiful day! I got a call from work last night that they are cutting back the store's hours. We will be open from 11-8 instead of 9:30-10. This will cut down on exposure to others. Schedules are being adjusted accordingly. The governor has shut down all bars and clubs and restaurants must cut back to 50% capacity and space out tables. The breweries that I love have to go to selling beer to go only.
At least the weather is gorgeous and one can get out and take a walk in a park.

Status
Not open for further replies.